Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Revell 1929 Ford Model A Roadster*

Zippi

8 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Looks real good Bob. I'm still trying to figure out how to get a good looking paint job like you guys do. 

Thanks James.  Its kind of strange to hear someone say how good looking my paint job is considering I'm still figuring it out myself.

Thanks Joe.  Unfortunately when I sprayed the clear on the body it had a bad reaction.  My wife was around someone at work that tested positive for Covid-19 so we are in quarantine.  Can't get out to buy something to strip the clear off the body so it will be mid September before I get back on the body.  I did get a little detail work done on the oil pan and the distributor.  

20210831_091303.jpg

Edited by Zippi

25 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Ok fellows need a little help.  I'm looking on the tree at the parts for the wheels and I see this square piece that I can't identify.  Doesn't seem to have a number or no mention of it in the instructions.  

This part? if so, that's the roof insert for the 30 coupe version

image.png.ffcb6cafe2b2bea761cb4eebc0e31e1f.png

Bummer not getting out, but do you have oven cleaner in the house? Put the painted parts in a plastic container with a lid and spray the painted parts heavily, wait a few days, then remove from the bath and scrub with an old toothbrush. This is also how I remove chrome. Don't know if dishwasher detergent either powdered or gel would work, since they are also lye based.

54 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

Bummer not getting out, but do you have oven cleaner in the house? Put the painted parts in a plastic container with a lid and spray the painted parts heavily, wait a few days, then remove from the bath and scrub with an old toothbrush. This is also how I remove chrome. Don't know if dishwasher detergent either powdered or gel would work, since they are also lye based.

Thanks for the info Paul.  

14 hours ago, Zippi said:

Still a little confused as to why this part would be included in the kit with no mention of it or any other parts to attach it if you would to use it.

As I understand it, the '29 and the '30 kit are part of the same big mold. Parts specific to each kit are separated when put into their respective boxes. There is some inevitable overlap of parts on some trees. You should also notice there is a dashboard for the '30 in the box. It has an oval hole in it. The gauge panel is chrome and not included in the kit. It would seem to make sense that Revell would make mention of this as part of the instruction sheet, but obviously they chose not to. Carry on..... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

7 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

As I understand it, the '29 and the '30 kit are part of the same big mold. Parts specific to each kit are separated when put into the box. There is some inevitable overlap of parts on some trees. You should also notice there is a dashboard for the '30 in the box. It has an oval hole in it. The gauge panel is chrome and not included in the kit. It would seem to make sense that Revell would make mention of this as part of the instruction sheet, but obviously they chose not to. Carry on..... -RRR

Thanks for that bit of info RRR.  Had my head spinning ☺

Just can't seem to find the time to get much done on this project.  I am doing some paint testing on a 56 Ford truck body but other than that I've got things around the house that I need to do.  I did assemble and look at both engine types as I still haven't made up my mind on which one I'm going with.  

20210902_134110_resized.jpg

20210902_105741_resized.jpg

14 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Found some time to get some work done on the wheels.  What's the best way to highlight the Ford letters on the hub caps?  A little black wash???

Bob....I'm partial to Testors or Tamiya Flat Red, thinned and flowed into the recessed areas of those hubcaps...

DSC 0089

However, since your steelies wheels are already red, flat black might be a better choice for your hubcap lettering.  When doing this, I seem to have better luck with the Testors Flat Black Enamel, thinned with their Testors Thinner, than I do with thinned Tamiya Flat Black.  Not sure why, but the Testors Flat Black ends up looking better to my eye. 

Best wishes for your continued progress....TIM