Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Revell 1929 Ford Model A Roadster*

Zippi

Just received my (2) replacement windshield frames from Revell.  Both of these frames are warped just as the ones were that came in my kits.  I have emailed Revell back asking for (2) more windshield frames.  I ask them to please check them for warp before they email them.  You know.....if I'm a company and I'm getting complaints about parts being warped I'd want to take a look at them before shipping, right?

20210927_160338.jpg

20210927_160348.jpg

20210927_160353.jpg

Sorry,

Maybe you guys are used to straight/great vintage "Made in the USA" kits but it seems unfortunately pretty common to see warped parts on many recent kits.

I could read that this was due to parts leaving the molds while still (too) hot, possibly to support a high processing rate...

On a related matter, I was envisioning asking about the best way to massage a warped body!

Edited by ChopSauce

6 minutes ago, David G. said:

Dang Bob, It seems that you just cant catch a break with this thing.

The chassis looks great though.

David G.

I know Dave.  I dout I'll see any more parts from Revell so I guess I'm between a rock and a hard spot on this one.

44 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I know Dave.  I dout I'll see any more parts from Revell so I guess I'm between a rock and a hard spot on this one.

That's disappointing news , I wonder if those in charge at Revell Germany know about this .  Maybe a polite email to Ed Sexton at Revell USA could help pass this info along to someone that could correct the problem .

36 minutes ago, TooOld said:

That's disappointing news , I wonder if those in charge at Revell Germany know about this .  Maybe a polite email to Ed Sexton at Revell USA could help pass this info along to someone that could correct the problem .

I don't really know if it would help or not Bob.  If I don't receive any usable parts from Revell I'll just call it a day and move on.  Sad to say....that seems to be the way businesses are ran now a days.  Nobody seems to care.    

Keep going, Bob, we all know what it is like when a kit just fights you to the finish!  

The windshield frame thing is really disappointing.  It doesn't say much for their quality control, because someone manually picked up and loaded all those sprues onto the plating racks before sending them for the "chrome" finish.  Wouldn't you think someone would say "Ro ROH! These don't look right?" And the Germans are meant to be masters of precision! 

Hope things go better for you soon.  At this point I would definitely be cutting those posts free, glue them solidly to the painted body and then using styrene strip or aluminium wire to replace the damaged bits.

This will be a nice model.....soon!

Cheers

Alan

I haven't been on the forum for awhile, glad I spotted this topic.  I will be building this kit, but with major modifications, this will help.  If all else fails, I looked at my windshield frame, not bent at all, but that's without taking it out of the bag, I won't use it for my project.  Maybe that will get me off my butt and start building.

45 minutes ago, David G. said:

Tight looking chassis Bob, any plans yet on how you plan to tackle the windshield issue?

David G.

Thanks Dave.  Not sure yet.  I'll get to that in a few days.  I did not get a response this time from Revell if they plan on sending me some useable windsheild frames.  I'm thinking that boat has sailed.    

4 hours ago, Zippi said:

Thanks Dave.  Not sure yet.  I'll get to that in a few days.  I did not get a response this time from Revell if they plan on sending me some useable windsheild frames.  I'm thinking that boat has sailed.    

I have bought quite a few of these kits, both first and current issue. Most of them have been parted out, so I may have a windshield frame to spare. I'll take a look when i get home if you're interested.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I have bought quite a few of these kits, both first and current issue. Most of them have been parted out, so I may have a windshield frame to spare. I'll take a look when i get home if you're interested.

I am interested if you have a spare and I do appreciate it Craig.  And, if Revell does by some chance send me a couple more that are good I'll send you one back.    

Edited by Zippi