Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Revell 1929 Ford Model A Roadster*

Zippi

3 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

Bob the A-bone is coming along nicely. Sad about the windshield frame though

Some kits do fight us and it seems to be those that we want to do a quick build with

Battle on and hopefully there will a fix for the windshield

Thanks for the pep talk Bill.

Edited by Zippi

I recieved this email from Revell early this morning about my second pair of replacement windshield frames.  

Dear Sirs and Madames,

we have processed your request, unfortunately the desired spare part is currently not available.

This will arrive shortly and we will then contact you and prepare the shipment.

Thank you for your patience

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

I got the plug wires ran and decided to run them over top the valve covers instead of routing them low around the back of the block.  I think this is more of an old school look and it adds a little more detail to the engine.  I didn't notice until now but there is no coil.  Not sure if i'll just snip the coil wire off or try and find one in my stash.  I'm fighting that bottom radiator hose.  Can't seem to get it on.   

20210930_084521.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 1

Well....I took the best windshield frame I had and tried to glue the glass in.  It was hard to get the frame to stay up against the glass.  I had to put some much glue to get it to hold it got on the glass.  The pics make it look better than what it is.  Probably won't use this one.  

20210930_143827.jpg

20210930_150511.jpg

20210930_150604.jpg

20210930_150518.jpg

• Like 1

Well....I got the body glued to the chassis, seat glued in, and the headlights installed.  I went ahead and glued the rear lights in as I thought I could paint them a little better that way.  I couldn't hold them in my hand.  I went basic on the interior with some all leather seats and door panels.   

20211001_102915.jpg

20211001_102932.jpg

• Like 1

The body is all the way down on the frame but the exhaust look really low in the back.  The pipes are glued all the way up against the bottom of the car at the bend over the axle.  Everything looks good from the outside.  Strange.    

20211001_111152.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluestringer said:

Looks really good Bob. I will check it out in the under glass section. I used that form you posted and sent Revell some photos of my windshield frame about 2 weeks ago, have not heard back from them. 

Thanks James.  Took two weeks to get my first replacement parts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 7:27 AM, Zippi said:

...the windshield frame is toast.  I have two kits so I pulled the other kit out and it has the same issue.  Not sure just how or if I can repair these frames.  Anyone have this issue on your 29...

20210914_065016_resized.jpg

On 9/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, Varen said:

I had an issue with mine though the bottom wasn't quite as bad. I tried to straiten it with some heat to no avail. I ended up doing as Alan suggested and Removing the top bar. 

On 9/18/2021 at 6:31 AM, Andrew McD said:

I have both the original and the re-release versions of this kit in my stash.  Having read of the windshield frame issue I just checked and the "Special Edition" release which has the blown engine option has a warped windshield frame....

On 9/19/2021 at 8:23 AM, bluestringer said:

Just checked, yep mine is warped too. Mine is worse on the top, I may be able to cut it off and get the bottom to fit right. 

On 9/19/2021 at 4:58 PM, 250 Testa Rossa said:

Yeah, mine has the bent windshield too. 

On 9/27/2021 at 4:24 PM, Zippi said:

Just received my (2) replacement windshield frames from Revell.  Both of these frames are warped just as the ones were that came in my kits.  I have emailed Revell back asking for (2) more windshield frames.  I ask them to please check them for warp before they email them.  You know.....if I'm a company and I'm getting complaints about parts being warped I'd want to take a look at them before shipping, right?

20210927_160338.jpg

20210927_160348.jpg

20210927_160353.jpg

Just to reiterate, if you've bought one of these and not opened/inspected it yet, I strongly recommend doing so now.  I purchased another of these at my local HL last week and finally got around to opening it tonight.  Windshield frame looks just like the last pic above.

Luckily, since I bought it at a local brick and mortar, I can return or exchange it.  As screwed up as production and shipping is now, who knows how long it might take to get a questionable replacement?

And it would really suck to have this sitting in the stash for 5 years and then discover the problem too late.  Thanks Bob and all others in this thread for the heads up on this, apparently its a widespread problem.

Edited by Robberbaron

Just and update for everyone.  The two replacement windshield frames that I recieved from Revell were both to warped to use.  I sent Revell an email asking for two more replacements and have not heard anything and that was back in late September.  Doesn't look like Revell is going to stand behind their product.  I don't expect to here back from Revell.  It's a shame that a company want's you to buy their product but they won't stand behind the quality.