Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replica buildoff


JJ Deuce
 Share

Recommended Posts

Updated with list below
 

Gauging interest for an idea I just had.  Forgive me if it's been done before.  Lately I've been building quasi-replicas of kits that were important to me growing up.  Most everything I built growing up is long gone, but it's kind of fun to see if I can put something on the shelf that looks more or less like what I remember. 

So my premise is this - choose a kit that you built at some point in the past, whether you still own it or not, and take another shot at it.  Make it the same, or better, or whatever suits you.

The kit I have in mind is the Jo-Han pro stock Maverick.  I built one in high school, and later stole the 427 from it for another project.  I have a complete kit in my stash, and I'm going to build it pretty much the same (as well as I can remember) as the one from back then.

 

Participants:

JJ - JoHan Maverick 

Jhedir6 - Monogram ‘69 Camaro

Cool Hand - ‘50 Ford F-1

64SS350 - TBD

Snake45 - AMT ‘66 Riviera

disconovaman - TBD

can-con - convoy van

 

 

Edited by JJ Deuce
Added list of builders
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like this idea to be honest. I've been wanting for a long time to do a "rebuild" of my first every model kit I remember building. It's long gone, but been thinking for a long time now I should redo it. 

s-l1600.jpg.387dd01e6a80eb2f80ac89031d5e494b.jpg

Now the trick will be to find one at a reasonable price. I've checked a few times on Ebay, but haven't found one at a price I'm willing to pay.

Hopefully others might find interest in this too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like this idea too, and in fact have done it at least twice. If you get enough interest for a group build, I'm in--I'll come up with another project idea. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I, too have kind of done that already.

For years, I had wanted another crack at the MPC Dodge Warlock pickup like I had built when I was 13 or 14. 

Used the Little Red kit with the suspension from the '84 GMC kit. and a set of Gooch decals. ,, and the original wheels from that kit I had built so long ago.

Turned out much better than the original, I think. 

IMG 1789

IMG 1791

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my "Then and Now" '69 Chevelles. I built the one with black top in 1969, the other one around 2014. 

69ChevelleC01.jpg.b2040301892f00d5b639b0f77fffe9a9.jpg

 

And I bought this AMT '66 Mustang FB off eBay last year because it looked AMAZINGLY like the one I built in 1966, right down to the hand-brushed Pactra Leaf Grean paint. Cleaned it up and performed some Snake-Fu on it, but mainly left it alone. I still have my old original, but I repainted it many years ago (around 1969, I think). 

66MustangFBGreen25.jpg.ddbc85c8cea3e95a945ff45b543ab754.jpg

66MustangFBGreen26.jpg.2d65f08a334fec192bb1905b0c06d037.jpg

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the replies!  Glad to see there's some interest.  Personally, I do better if there's a deadline.  Would the end of the year be enough time?  My planned build is mostly OOB, but I understand if y'all want to get more detailed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

Personally, I do better if there's a deadline.  Would the end of the year be enough time?

I think deadlines can be good motivation, end of the year would be plenty of time for me.

But maybe make it 6 months for people that dont have alot of spare time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 months sounds good.  I have one quick build I want to wrap up, so let’s say we start September 15, and aim for March 15 to finish?  

Here’s the interested parties so far:

JJ - JoHan Maverick 

Jhedir6 - Monogram Camaro

Cool Hand - TBD

64SS350 - TBD

Snake45 - TBD

disconovaman - TBD

Thanks to all who have expressed interest.  Looking forward to getting started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's what I'm thinking at the moment.

One of my very first model cars was the AMT '66 Riviera. I thought the white plastic looked nice, so I just brush-painted the interior blue and the chassis black and put it together like that and put it on my dresser for a while. A year or so later I had some experience with spray painting, so I painted it Candy Tangerine to match a pic I saw of George Barris's daily driver, with a (hand-painted) white top and white interior. The Tangerine came out beautiful on one side but kind of splotchy on the other, and of course the hand-brushed white never looked good. 

In the late '80s or early '90s I decided to strip the paint and restore the pristine white plastic. Sadly, the strip job went very badly and while I got all the paint off, the surface was slightly crazed with remnants of the paint slightly fused into it. I wish I'd left it alone. I still have all the parts, and will probably end up restoring it in the Tangerine, if I can ever find some (Tamiya transparent orange, perhaps?). 

Last year I scored on eBay, for a reasonable price, a mint unbuilt AMT '66 annual Riviera kit. I'm planning to polish the body white plastic and paint the interior blue, but of course much better this time and replicate that model from my summer of 1966. Sounds like this project would fit right in here. Thanks for the incentive to GITTER DONE! B)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2021 at 8:29 AM, JJ Deuce said:

Gauging interest for an idea I just had.  Forgive me if it's been done before.  Lately I've been building quasi-replicas of kits that were important to me growing up.  Most everything I built growing up is long gone, but it's kind of fun to see if I can put something on the shelf that looks more or less like what I remember. 

So my premise is this - choose a kit that you built at some point in the past, whether you still own it or not, and take another shot at it.  Make it the same, or better, or whatever suits you.

The kit I have in mind is the Jo-Han pro stock Maverick.  I built one in high school, and later stole the 427 from it for another project.  I have a complete kit in my stash, and I'm going to build it pretty much the same (as well as I can remember) as the one from back then.

Sounds fun but I can't think of a model I want to try again (except maybe a Raders Coach). Sorta but not exactly what you're talking about of building a kit like you once did but I recently took a finished Badman model that I built long ago and stripped it and remade it into a Two-Lane Blacktop-ish model:

 

55 Chevy Gasser model (2) small.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually picked up a model last month with the intentions of building it "similar" to one I had back in the day.

The one I had was the Revell "Convoy Van". Nothing really special about it, just another one of the dozen or so reissues of the kit Revell did back then. The thing that struck me was the color it was molded in, metallic dark "burple".

Boxart Convoy Van H-1396 Revell

Parts wise, this kit is identical to the one just reissued except for the tires and decals.

I eventually rebuilt this kit in the early '80s and painted it with that awful Testors metallic ruby red spray paint with hand painted blue flames. Won a trophy with that version.

I'm planning to do a mashup of the two, original kit with wheel and mirror swap in the dark blue with flames. 

SO, I have the kit

I have the wheels I want to use,

I have the paint.

I have a flame mask, not hand painted this time. 

So, JJ, I guess you can put my name on the list. 👍

Edited by Can-Con
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this was the first model I built way back when, I cant remember what year. But if I had to guess id say about 20+ years ago.

Some how I managed to save the box lid.

Ci2h1BP.jpg

Been kept in a display case, so its still clean and tidy. Built box stock, but a mate gave me the wheels for it.

yA2hmci.jpg

Paint is Tamiya TS-24 purple

nr3xQxv.jpg

Many years after it was built ,I scratch built a trailer and I needed a tow vehicle. So I chose this build and scratch built a tow hitch. Other than that it has remained the same as when it was built.

usLoAfq.jpg

 

I bought this kit a few years ago with the intention of building the same model again. And seeing this community thread come up is the perfect time to get it done. 

 W39eGIO.jpg

My plan has been to also go with centreline wheels again, but this time round il use Pegasus CL's. Will determine what size will be used when I do first mock.

Fg8gDIU.jpg

So thats what my build will be. Cant wait, going to be alot of fun. 

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

If it's not too late, I'll get in on this one.

 

Will use this as my entry. I built one way back in the day when I was 14 or 15 or so. 

Had been planning to start it this week anyway. 

20210823_071158.thumb.jpg.54cc3e0fe4e511e7a5f26bacc377655b.jpg

Sounds good!  I’ll add you to the list.  Welcome aboard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be building the Monogram 57 Chevy Bel-air hardtop. I got this kit for Christmas in 1984. This is the first model I ever built. I had an Amt 68 Camaro that I got for my birthday in March of that same year (that's another story) 😆 however, I didn't build it before the 57. I painted the Belair Testors Sapphire blue met. with a white top and I used the flame decals. I have attempted to build a replica of it before but I took to many liberties and was never happy with it.. This time I plan on it being exactly the same as I originally built it using only the parts from the box. That's gonna be the challenge... 😆

 

image-86.png

Screenshot_20210825-111237_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210825-111404_Samsung Internet.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I'll be building the Monogram 57 Chevy Bel-air hardtop. I got this kit for Christmas in 1984. This is the first model I ever built. I had an Amt 68 Camaro that I got for my birthday in March of that same year (that's another story) 😆 however, I didn't build it before the 57. I painted the Belair Testors Sapphire blue met. with a white top and I used the flame decals. I have attempted to build a replica of it before but I took to many liberties and was never happy with it.. This time I plan on it being exactly the same as I originally built it using only the parts from the box. That's gonna be the challenge... 😆

 

image-86.png

Screenshot_20210825-111237_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210825-111404_Samsung Internet.jpg

sounds good!  I built that same kit at one point.  My stepbrother at the time had a '57 hardtop and I tried to make it like his car.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've bought a few kits over the years to replicate models that I originally built back in the 70's and 80's so you can add me to the list. I'll have a look at my options and decide which one I want to build. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TimJ said:

I've bought a few kits over the years to replicate models that I originally built back in the 70's and 80's so you can add me to the list. I'll have a look at my options and decide which one I want to build. 

Sounds good, thanks Tim.

 

i tried to edit the original post but i couldn’t.  I will make a new post with all the participants and subjects shortly before kicking off on 9/15

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This looks like fun. I'd love to get in on this with a "diamond in the rough" kit. They're a bit pricey for me today but I have a trailer, 53 F100 truck, 40 ford sedan & even some left over parts from the original kit I built back in the 80s. Check out the price in 87 from a autoworld MODEL CARS mag I have.

SUNP0002_LI.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mchook said:

This looks like fun. I'd love to get in on this with a "diamond in the rough" kit. They're a bit pricey for me today but I have a trailer, 53 F100 truck, 40 ford sedan & even some left over parts from the original kit I built back in the 80s. Check out the price in 87 from a autoworld MODEL CARS mag I have.

 

I have one of these, unbuilt, although I might have started the truck. Let me know if you need anything and I'll see if I can spare it. Not that interested in parting out the trailer, but I have no interest in the "damaged" parts of the Ford, and possibly other stuff in there as well. I can't get PMs here for some reason but you can email me direct at

SnakeACP45 at AOL dot com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...