Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replica buildoff

JJ Deuce

On 12/21/2021 at 2:04 AM, disconovaman said:

Wow! Really Awesome work goin on here. Cool Hand is showing some expert skills! That old Ford never looked better!

I wasn't able to get much time at the bench this weekend. Gluing parts and sorting out all things 57 Chevy related was about it. 

I actually have copies of the AMT 57 Street Machine, the one with the Art Morrison chassis and big block. I plan on building a version of that kit with the decals and color scheme eventually... just looking for that photo etched grill I've misplaced. 🤔

Thanks for the kind words, trying to make do with the skills I have. Hoping it will turn out a lot better than my previous build.

Still plenty of time, any progress made is good thing. A bit here and a bit there, you will get it done in the end.

Cant say ive ever taken any notice of that particular 57 Street Machine kit before. Sounds like it has some cool parts.

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Well Poo! What have here is a Classic case of Life repeating itself! I guess I'm not too surprised, I must be out of practice with painting old enamels. It turned out OK but the paint was too thick for me and nowadays it's easier to strip paint and start over. I'll give it another go when I get the body clean... 😏

I did make progress on the engine, it's simple and easy, nothing special. 

Thats unfortunate about the paint, no doubt you will get it sorted next application.

Tidy engine, it will look the part.

Edited by Cool Hand

2 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

Cant say ive ever taken any notice of that particular 57 Street Machine kit before. Sounds like it has some cool parts.

Yeah? It's really a great kit.  I remember when it was first released, the boxart wasn't inspiring at all, those corvette wheels... ugh! But when you see all that awesome chassis work and the opening trunk with the fuel cell, Flowmaster exhaust, and that great big block, it's worth it... just swap out the wheels for something more appropriate. It's the best 57 Chevy AMT ever made IMO. The kit comes with BMF and engine wiring. Some issues even included a photo etched grill! I'd love to see this kit get reissued.

I recommend you buying one, you may have to pay up for one now but it'll be worth it. 

Got the engine complete. Added a some wiring and a couple hoses for visual interest. Shortened the stock inlet pipe and fitted a Hobby Design air filter.

swRP2xU.jpg

lfRso6U.jpg

Also pieced together all the painted chassis parts and had to mock with the engine in place.

XmrWfVk.jpg

SiLE3NZ.jpg

tD03p5O.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

Got the engine complete

😲👏 What an Amazing result with that engine and chassis, that is Gorgeous! Incredible skills! I'm speechless... 

If you're interested, I thought I'd give you a look inside the box on the 57 Street Machine, in case you want to pick one up... 

502 Big Block with a 400 turbo automatic.. lots of Awesomeness awaits 😆 this kit is often overlooked... 

16401045355162160024376978834097.jpg

16401045720431646778969859684468.jpg

1640104624754409364728009339001.jpg

16401046575593049582888416405248.jpg

16401047165171138649629285849598.jpg

16401048157254646360939005070088.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Also pieced together all the painted chassis parts and had to mock with the engine in place.

Beautiful work! Looks great!

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

this kit is often overlooked..

Nice! That rear end looks really neat for any thing not to extreme! What box art does those kit have? 

O! And how does the front suspension look, really miss aftermarket tubular front ends. 

Edited by Mattilacken

3 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

What box art does those kit have? 

O! And how does the front suspension look

Here is a review of the kit, it's not the best but it shows you what you get, the author doesn't seem to really know the kit that well but you get the point.  Also the front suspension is tubular upper  A-arms but the molds kinda look stock. There are a few short cuts with the design but I still give the kit a solid 9 out of 10. 😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, disconovaman said:

😲👏 What an Amazing result with that engine and chassis, that is Gorgeous! Incredible skills! I'm speechless... 

If you're interested, I thought I'd give you a look inside the box on the 57 Street Machine, in case you want to pick one up... 

502 Big Block with a 400 turbo automatic.. lots of Awesomeness awaits 😆 this kit is often overlooked... 

Thanks again for commenting.

And also thanks for showing the AMT 57 Street Machine contents, sure does have some really cool features and parts.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:15 AM, Cool Hand said:

Got the engine complete. Added a some wiring and a couple hoses for visual interest. Shortened the stock inlet pipe and fitted a Hobby Design air filter.

swRP2xU.jpg

lfRso6U.jpg

XmrWfVk.jpg

SiLE3NZ.jpg

tD03p5O.jpg

Wow Luke, that engine and chassis are killer! I need one of those engines, it’s a beast. What colour did you use on the air filter please? Looks perfect… as does the rest of the engine.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:43 AM, disconovaman said:

16401045355162160024376978834097.jpg

16401045720431646778969859684468.jpg

1640104624754409364728009339001.jpg

16401046575593049582888416405248.jpg

16401047165171138649629285849598.jpg

16401048157254646360939005070088.jpg

Thanks for sharing that Anthony, I had absolutely no idea that kit was anything like that. The wheels on box art were always a “NO” for me, so I never gave the kit a second look. I will definitely keep an eye out for one now. The box art is deceiving…

Cheers, Steve

3 hours ago, Steve H said:

Wow Luke, that engine and chassis are killer! I need one of those engines, it’s a beast. What colour did you use on the air filter please? Looks perfect… as does the rest of the engine.

Thanks Steve. Yeah the engine could be transplanted into a wide variety of subjects.

Air filter was painted with Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 black and this Vallejo colour.

46nNE8O.jpg

10 hours ago, Steve H said:

Thanks for sharing that Anthony

There's a pretty good selection of them currently on Ebay for reasonable prices... back in the day, Toy's R Us had a shelf full for $3.99 each. How crazy is that? But Yeah, whenever I see these at swapmeets I buy them up. I believe the photo etched grill was in the CokeaCola issue. I only have one but the grill has gone missing. I must'a put it up for safe keeping and forgot where I put it...🤪 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm fighting back on the 57 and at the moment I'm winning! 

I have repainted the car and it's better now, not as thick as the first paint job. Here is a sneak peek at the paint color and hood flame decals. This process has provoked some old memories of the first time I built it over 30+ years ago.

I recall setting the hood scoop on and thinking it wasn't the look I was going for and I remember thinking I wanted to save it for a future build. Flames on 57 Chevy are Iconic. As I was applying them I had flashbacks of when I did it the first time! Amazing how the human brain works like that...

These decals are old though and I had to take extra steps to clean all the old brown glue stains off the back. They turned out better than I expected... so far🙄 

I attempted to cover all the silver trim up with BMF then remove after the paint dried so it would look like my original buld and I wouldn't have to hand brush paint the trim on like I did on the first build.

Unfortunately, with the straight enamel, it got buried in the paint so the only way to fix it will be to apply BMF over it.

I didn't want to use bare metal foil because as a kid, building his first model in the mid 80's I didn't even know that existed. 😆 Oddly enough, I did know it was a thing by my 4th or 5th build because as I studied the boxarts it seemed like the trim looked like real chrome. I bought the AMT Prestige series 63 split Vette and it actually came with a small peice of BMF and I wondered what it was supposed to be used for.

Does anyone know the origin of the product and when it first came to market? I suspect it was an actual model builder who got the idea to glue aluminum foil to a model and trim off the edges.😁  Anywho, I'll update again when I get the car trimmed out. 

20220104_203904.jpg

20220104_204159.jpg

• Like 4

Checking in - I still haven't gotten back to work on my project, but hopefully this week I will have some time.  Just wanted to say I'm glad so many of y'all joined and I'm enjoying watching the WIPs.  I think I'll be done by the target of March 15, and I'll work on posting some updates along the way too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 7:34 AM, disconovaman said:

.. 😁 

20211220_100219.jpg

This thread brings back some memories.  I built two of the Monogram Camaros and both the Monogram 57 hardtop and Nomad.  Something about those old Monogram kits from my youth. I traded for three old Camaro build ups and a 57 hardtop.  Now all I need to find is an old buildup of that Nomad. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 11:02 PM, disconovaman said:

Well I'm fighting back on the 57 and at the moment I'm winning! 

I have repainted the car and it's better now, not as thick as the first paint job. Here is a sneak peek at the paint color and hood flame decals. This process has provoked some old memories of the first time I built it over 30+ years ago.

I recall setting the hood scoop on and thinking it wasn't the look I was going for and I remember thinking I wanted to save it for a future build. Flames on 57 Chevy are Iconic. As I was applying them I had flashbacks of when I did it the first time! Amazing how the human brain works like that...

These decals are old though and I had to take extra steps to clean all the old brown glue stains off the back. They turned out better than I expected... so far🙄 

I attempted to cover all the silver trim up with BMF then remove after the paint dried so it would look like my original buld and I wouldn't have to hand brush paint the trim on like I did on the first build.

Unfortunately, with the straight enamel, it got buried in the paint so the only way to fix it will be to apply BMF over it.

I didn't want to use bare metal foil because as a kid, building his first model in the mid 80's I didn't even know that existed. 😆 Oddly enough, I did know it was a thing by my 4th or 5th build because as I studied the boxarts it seemed like the trim looked like real chrome. I bought the AMT Prestige series 63 split Vette and it actually came with a small peice of BMF and I wondered what it was supposed to be used for.

Does anyone know the origin of the product and when it first came to market? I suspect it was an actual model builder who got the idea to glue aluminum foil to a model and trim off the edges.😁  Anywho, I'll update again when I get the car trimmed out. 

20220104_203904.jpg

20220104_204159.jpg

Those old decals seemed to have fared quite well. They look good.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 12:15 PM, Cool Hand said:

swRP2xU.jpg

lfRso6U.jpg

XmrWfVk.jpg

SiLE3NZ.jpg

tD03p5O.jpg

Luke, you sure do work clean. Nice work all around, and that engine looks fabulous. 

• Thanks 1

I haven't started my Riv yet. Just checking in to make sure the deadline is still March 15. I need to get started, but should have plenty of time to gitter done, especially since I'm not painting it, just polishing the beautiful 1966 white plastic. 

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I haven't started my Riv yet. Just checking in to make sure the deadline is still March 15. I need to get started, but should have plenty of time to gitter done, especially since I'm not painting it, just polishing the beautiful 1966 white plastic. 

Yes, the projected end date is still March 15.  

• 2 weeks later...

I stripped the chrome from the cam covers, wheels and some other bits a few weeks ago.  Had a chance to spray some paint today, and made a little progress on the engine.  

painted the chassis and some other stuff but haven’t gotten pics yet.  Still going to weather the engine once I get it all together

5CB337BC-5AFD-40BA-8738-CA484BD0A5ED.jpeg

2FA89ED2-89EA-42C8-8151-ACE1BA8180FD.jpeg