Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replica buildoff

JJ Deuce

So finally managed to stop being distracted with other kits and get back to this build.

Ended up having to strip the cab, bonnet/hood and bed. Also had to order more paint, get surfacer applied ,wet sand and painted again.

WUNcVJL.jpg

jPtUdb2.jpg

Wh4Fh0x.jpg

Paint has some very fine orange peel, so will try use Tamiya compounds to sort that out.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bainford said:

Wow! That sucks. It's going to be a bit of work to sort that out. Is it right in the plastic, or just a reaction between the primer and paint?

Its just the paint.  The primer was smooth before I laid down the paint. 

It’s Tamiya lacquer over rust-oleum primer.  I sprayed another kit with red tamiya over the same primer and it came out smooth.  We’ll see what happens 

sanded it out, repainted, and had the same issue, though not as bad.  So I sanded it out again, and just coated with Mr. Hobby Surfacer.  It looks pretty good so far.  I'll give it a light sanding before I spray another color coat.  I may try a Testors lacquer instead.

795440B5-8283-4F7F-AE4F-5ED061F6F0CE.jpeg

EDD1B88B-5912-48C7-B875-634681C21FBB.jpeg

Edited by JJ Deuce
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Well im going to admit defeat and say my build will not be completed by the end date. Was a great idea for a community build and enjoyed what I achieved. 

No worries.  It’s been fun watching the progress. Please post even if it’s after the “due date”

With only about a week before deadline, I guess I'd better get started on my '66 Riv. Here's what I'm starting with. Actually I'm only going to use the bare body out of this rather nice unbuilt kit; planning to piece the rest of it together from a glue bomb and my original Riv. 

66RivieraWhite05.jpg.4aae54864a3ba3ac5cb033e65e8c1a33.jpg

While I'm at it, gonna try to do something with this original '67 friction promo. The windshield is cracked and the chassis is a mess; seems to have a too-short wheelbase and two different types of Chevy SS wheel covers, WTH? :wacko: The roof has some scratches and scuffing but otherwise the body is in nice shape and pretty shiny. I'll be putting it on the chassis/wheels/tires from a common reissued '69 Riv, which will also donate the replacement glass. 

67RivieraTurq01.jpg.054a00b48109795fb3d2f99052654403.jpg

67RivieraTurq05.jpg.601645996c1d36ab73e4275c38896e15.jpg

67RivieraTurq07.jpg.608c6ce2519347f75fe8c49f16615fe6.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 2:10 AM, Cool Hand said:

Well im going to admit defeat and say my build will not be completed by the end date. Was a great idea for a community build and enjoyed what I achieved. 

I enjoyed watching the progress, just the same. I agree, a cool idea for a community build. If such a build starts again, I may jump aboard next time, though interest seems to have waned on this one. Not uncommon for a community build, sometimes. I have a good few of my old builds that I would like to take a second shot at.

On 3/7/2022 at 1:29 PM, Snake45 said:

With only about a week before deadline, I guess I'd better get started on my '66 Riv. Here's what I'm starting with. Actually I'm only going to use the bare body out of this rather nice unbuilt kit; planning to piece the rest of it together from a glue bomb and my original Riv. 

66RivieraWhite05.jpg.4aae54864a3ba3ac5cb033e65e8c1a33.jpg

While I'm at it, gonna try to do something with this original '67 friction promo. The windshield is cracked and the chassis is a mess; seems to have a too-short wheelbase and two different types of Chevy SS wheel covers, WTH? :wacko: The roof has some scratches and scuffing but otherwise the body is in nice shape and pretty shiny. I'll be putting it on the chassis/wheels/tires from a common reissued '69 Riv, which will also donate the replacement glass. 

67RivieraTurq01.jpg.054a00b48109795fb3d2f99052654403.jpg

67RivieraTurq05.jpg.601645996c1d36ab73e4275c38896e15.jpg

67RivieraTurq07.jpg.608c6ce2519347f75fe8c49f16615fe6.jpg

Oh, you've got LOTS of time. Love the old Rivs, that friction promo is a neat piece.

4 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Much better! That's looking good.

Thanks!  I had to buff out part of the hood because it fell on the garage floor, but I ended up not polishing anything else.  I did the chrome trim with a Molotow pen, and I've started painting the marker lights. I need to take some pictures later today after I start decals.

Still working on the '66 Riv. Got the white plastic body all polished out, and the hood fitted (needed a little detail work). Got the chassis, wheels, and tire pieces all picked out and cleaned up and the tires sanded.  Decided to cheat a little and am using the interior from the parts-donor '69 and am rattlecanning it blue.  Maybe later I'll do a nice detail job on the real '66 interior. With a little luck I'll gitter done by Tuesday deadline. 

As to the blue '67, got it apart. Got the scratches polished out of the roof; the rest of the body is actually pretty shiny and might have a clear lacquer on it. Got the chassis from the donor '69 pulled and ready to paint. Got the interior disassembled and ready to paint. I have to repaint the front and rear bumpers. It won't take a lot of work to finish but I'm setting it aside until I get the '66 finished for the Mar 15 deadline. 

Truth to tell, I got a little distracted this week by a cool original '72/'73 Camaro glue bomb I picked up last Sunday. Did quite a bit of work on that one. I hope to have all three of these models finished by the end of this month. 

• Like 1

Still need to polish part of the hood but I went ahead with the decals.  Thanks to @Oldcarfan27 for supplying the “bootlegger” decals a couple of years ago.  I don’t remember what contingency stickers I had on my original build but I did use the name from the Monogram ‘55 Ford panel truck.  Still got a few little details to paint and put together but aiming to have it done by the 15th.  Thanks y’all for looking.  

C38EC83A-74AD-4A7E-965A-C3C88632E221.jpeg

20FBE633-90AB-4899-B733-9724F14EA046.jpeg

• Like 1

I was hoping to wrap this one up by tomorrow but some work stuff has come up that's gonna keep me from getting it done.  I'm going to change the end date to March 31.  Hopefully that is enough time to finish it up.  Thanks for following.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:27 AM, Snake45 said:

Here's what I'm thinking at the moment.

One of my very first model cars was the AMT '66 Riviera. I thought the white plastic looked nice, so I just brush-painted the interior blue and the chassis black and put it together like that and put it on my dresser for a while. A year or so later I had some experience with spray painting, so I painted it Candy Tangerine to match a pic I saw of George Barris's daily driver, with a (hand-painted) white top and white interior. The Tangerine came out beautiful on one side but kind of splotchy on the other, and of course the hand-brushed white never looked good. 

In the late '80s or early '90s I decided to strip the paint and restore the pristine white plastic. Sadly, the strip job went very badly and while I got all the paint off, the surface was slightly crazed with remnants of the paint slightly fused into it. I wish I'd left it alone. I still have all the parts, and will probably end up restoring it in the Tangerine, if I can ever find some (Tamiya transparent orange, perhaps?). 

Last year I scored on eBay, for a reasonable price, a mint unbuilt AMT '66 annual Riviera kit. I'm planning to polish the body white plastic and paint the interior blue, but of course much better this time and replicate that model from my summer of 1966. Sounds like this project would fit right in here. Thanks for the incentive to GITTER DONE! B)

Okay, GOTTER DONE...ish. Need to fit the front bumper better, and do the Riviera nameplates and a couple other little details and adjustments, but it's basically together. 

66RivieraWhite06.jpg.189925e8a80aedac78dbc4949a61db43.jpg

66RivieraWhite10.jpg.26d56859ab22e577a3757232e8cd3eff.jpg

66RivieraWhite12.jpg.cc3b2b6638f146267eac8b43d6669399.jpg

• Like 2

DONE!  Got the last few bits done this evening.  I’ll take some better pictures outside tomorrow with a nicer background.  This was a lot of fun and I’m glad to be putting some of my modeling history back on the shelf.  Thanks to all who participated.  I’ll make a new thread with all the completed bullds later.  

54100D98-FE6D-4442-89A0-8886A6D24495.jpeg

69EF0546-3584-405B-9495-5E48C59BC6FC.jpeg

52DD03ED-D5FC-44FD-8E5A-35E4A3C8ADC9.jpeg

0691CD4B-F61D-4F2B-AEEF-C501731BF88C.jpeg

E30DFC52-A787-4475-B4AD-2F105DFEE1E3.jpeg

• 7 months later...
On 3/6/2022 at 12:10 AM, Cool Hand said:

Luke... your brain man. The frame work alone is just wow..