Model Cars Magazine Forum

2021 IPMS Nationals Kit Information

niteowl7710

Glad to see Moebius doing the Ramp truck and the Gasser ,and Revell doing a '71 Olds 442 that is cool ,I hope the hood will have the duel scoops & rear wing ? The Rat roaster will now be in my stash love the interior and front windshield , But still No 1968 Dodge Coronet r/t  ?   

Finally, a DuVall windscreen frame for the 32 Ford! Looking forward to that one.

Kinda silly they have Vin Diesel/Dom Toretto on the box, rather than Paul Walker, for "Brian's" pickup... Oh well, hopefully it will have the "Racer's Edge" decal included to replicate the movie ride correctly.

Curious about the Porsches, also... I wasn't aware of a new tool. It is nice to see Revell re-do this legendary car, because their previous offering was quite bad, and it deserves being done justice. 

Good times ahead!

6 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

@Rocking Rodney Rat @Kit Karson

Are you guys seeing all this stuff?! Look at all the parts pack goodness and those killer updates to the Rat Roaster. Proper lakes headers and that Duvall windshield!! 

Out of all of that, and there is a LOT, the Duvall windshield is the most interesting item to me. It's great to see they are brining back a modified version of the Rat Roaster. That shows you where my head is at! -RRR

12 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks for gathering and putting up all of this info. Revell has my head spinning right about now with the '37 Ford Pickup 2 n 1, '69 Camaro SS396, Brian's F150 SVT, '67 Corvette, Porsche 911 Targa, 1981 Camaro, and the further down the road '71 Mustang and '71 Olds Cutlass. 

Same here! I will need to get every one of those!

The `67 vette is a Coupe too, which is a big deal! We have seen the convertible rehashed a million times. Very nice to see the coupe back. 

the `81 Camaro....VERY GOOD to hear it is the `79 Monogram kit converted to an `81, and not the `81 Convertible Revell kits. If it comes with decals in multiple colors, my wallet is in trouble. 

13 minutes ago, Hawk312 said:

The `67 vette is a Coupe too, which is a big deal! We have seen the convertible rehashed a million times. Very nice to see the coupe back. 

Not only that, but the coupe's body is accurate and the roadster's isn't. If I ever build another Revell '67 roadster, I'll convert a coupe body (or maybe just start with the snapper). 

49 minutes ago, Hawk312 said:

the `81 Camaro....VERY GOOD to hear it is the `79 Monogram kit converted to an `81, and not the `81 Convertible Revell kits. If it comes with decals in multiple colors, my wallet is in trouble. 

No no...it's just the '79 reissued as is, as mentioned in the original post Revell's German site has the year wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Some very cool stuff, thanks!! All this due this year?

I think ideally Revell would like to get all the things already announced with boxes out this year at least if they could get product over in any sort of timely fashion...not sure on the other two newer projects (32 & '71). I believe RevellAG has November & December release date on their 911s in Euro boxes, so even in a perfect world I'd expect the reboxes to be 2022 kits. 

I think there's enough stuff at Atlantis, especially with the Keeler's Kustoms stuff to certainly extend in the first months of 2022 to get everything pictured released.

From prior posts here by the Moebius people they ideally wanted to get the Ramp Truck and at least one of the Chevys out before the end of the year. The Ramp Truck is a Model King branded release, and I believe he's the driving financial force behind the Holmes style wrecker and the dump truck, which makes sense given he's footing the bills for all the proper 350 HD chassis pieces, wheels, etc. 

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hawk312 said:

Same here! I will need to get every one of those!

Yeah, my wallet's already in serious trouble! I do want a couple of the Convertibles still, but the Coupe is my preferred choice for the '63-'67's, and I could easily do with about 5 of those. The '78-'81 Camaro is one of my favorites, and I could see myself going with about 5 of those as well, especially if Revell does like MPC did with the '79 Firebird and includes 3 different colors on the decals. Depending on the timing of the releases, I most likely won't be able to splurge all at once though.

Atlantis subject observations...

I spy a W-motor. There was no 348/409 parts pack. Where did this come from?

image.png.cb296dbdcd62ba55795727f92e3c45b0.png

I also spy the Nailhead. This one was not released as part of the group Revell did back in the late 90's. Nice to see that one is still around. Guess I can build the original I have with a little less guilt (I would have done it either way 😋 )

image.png.c2981a453d2f8fbb5c27860ead457f38.png

So Atlantis somehow got the "Rat Rod" tire tooling, the ones with the separate whitewalls that debuted in the Revell 29 Ford pickup. They were last seen with the backdated Tweedy Pie from a few years ago. Was that run produced in the USA?

image.png.0b6615ac55a057fd3c98881430f0571d.png

They had to have new tooling created for all the tires for the "parts pack" car kits. Looking at the images, some look real good, the others... I will reserve judgement until i see them in person.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

Revell USA subject observations...

Very excited to see one of the roadsters coming back to the Revell 32 series. It's nice that it's the Rat Roaster based tooling because they made some nice revisions over the original 96/97 tooling. The lakes headers and interior are nice additions, and the Duvall is pretty cool. Sadly, this probably means that the chopped windshield is no more. 😢 (Revell, maybe don't delete it from the tooling, just don't picture it on the box or instructions???)

37 pickup- nice to have this back because it's a parts gold mine, and builds up to a great replica on it's own. Curious how they will treat the very prominently displayed whitewall tires. (hopefully pre-painted?)

69 Camaro- nice to finally see a new version. the last was the COPO, no? Like most of us, I'd love to see the chambered exhaust replaced, but it's not a deal breaker.

71 Olds- love this body style, and it looks like they got it right from the test shot. I'm in!

'99 Lightening- Glad they finally are doing this. Glad I never attempted my own version of the movie truck

71 Mustang- nice to hear "straight from the horses mouth" that this project is real, and still moving along. i didn't have any doubts, but many people did. Funny that Ed is aware of that fact

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

The Chevy "W" engine is in the old Revell '55 Chevy hardtop kit.  A simplified copy of same is in the Revell '53/'54 Chevy kits.

Thanks Mark. I'm not familiar with that kit. But wouldn't the engine parts be integrated into the rest of the tooling for that kit as per what we normally see? Or is it contained on it's own tree? If it is it's own tree an inclusion in the "parts pack" kits would be pretty straightforward. But if it is mixed into the trees for the 55 wouldn't that be problematic?

I doubt there will be a 409 parts pack.  It's probably there just to show the optional parts in the kit.  That engine is still pretty well detailed even versus newer kits, but that transmission could stand to get swapped out.  That's what I'm doing with a '55 that has been in the works for a while now.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Revell USA subject observations...

Very excited to see one of the roadsters coming back to the Revell 32 series. It's nice that it's the Rat Roaster based tooling because they made some nice revisions over the original 96/97 tooling. The lakes headers and interior are nice additions, and the Duvall is pretty cool. Sadly, this probably means that the chopped windshield is no more. 😢 (Revell, maybe don't delete it from the tooling, just don't picture it on the box or instructions???)

It appears the interior panels and seat are from the original '32 roadster release. Yes, the Duvall is way kool and I agree on the chopped windshield. (please keep it). If they tool up for the duvall, they will most likely fill in the indents on the cowl for the windshield posts? That would preclude the inclusion of the chopped windshield?  All of this conjecture.... -RRR

32 minutes ago, Mark said:

I doubt there will be a 409 parts pack.  It's probably there just to show the optional parts in the kit.  That engine is still pretty well detailed even versus newer kits, but that transmission could stand to get swapped out.  That's what I'm doing with a '55 that has been in the works for a while now.

It's not displayed with the 55 builtup, otherwise I wouldn't have questioned it. it's displayed with one of the "parts pack" dragsters. Confusing to be displayed that way if it's not going to be part of one of those kits

20210819_095626.thumb.jpg.426dfbf76e6f0f483c9aa07074f769bf.jpg

I doubt the automotive modelling world is holding its breath waiting for that engine in a parts pack.  Let's see the ones that haven't been reissued (Buick, turbine, maybe the Chrysler) turn up in the separate drag car kits, that will do it for me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the excellent coverage. It was my hope that with the recent energetic Atlantis announcements will serve to encourage and support the Revell USA side of "New Revell" marketing and distribution. So the comments by Ed Sexton about the impact, expense and frustration of the Covid-driven global shipping logjam were, in their way, encouraging. It means that much of the lopsided Revell of Germany activity we have seen from New Revell is at least partly due to the Revell USA side of the business being impacted by trans-Pacific shipping problems. Atlantis aggressively promotes "Made In USA" but even more importantly Revell is seeing the impact of diversified molding sources, i.e. Atlantis' ability to move fairly quickly into the marketplace. Ed Sexton's frustrations must be epic.

The Rat Roaster re-do is a significant move towards a more universal kit away from the Stacey David oddball. Still not the in-the-pocket hot rod that putting the old Big Deuce through a shrink ray would have been, but a very positive step none-the-less. My only fear is related to the loss of the chopped stock windshield already mention. Far worse than omitting a stock style windshield (chopped or otherwise) is the change that modifying the actual cowl area to take the DuVall as was done on the old Ertl Phantom Deuce Phaeton kit. RRR's comment just posted regarding the indents required for the stock windshield is much more to the point and  only make me worry more that the basic Deuce roadster body of the original Street Rod will be further bastardized.  BTW I can't possibly imagine that including a stock Deuce windshield, even chopped, would be a violation of the Stacey David copyright. But what do  I know about these thing?. Old  Street Rod Deuce Roadster kits will only keep getting more expensive...

And who would have ever expected that Atlantis' purchase of all that decrepit old 60's tooling would re-emerge in the form we see here? Wise decision IMHO for Atlantis to resist the romantic allure of the parts packs and stick with whole kits. The low unit dollar profit yield vs. whole kits has always been a problem. Including two motors is a smart offset in my opinion. The Miss Deal 392 appears to be still there and I can only hope it will be included in future other offerings.

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

So Atlantis somehow got the "Rat Rod" tire tooling, the ones with the separate whitewalls that debuted in the Revell 29 Ford pickup. They were last seen with the backdated Tweedy Pie from a few years ago. Was that run produced in the USA?

The tire parts from the 2001 issue of the Revell-Monogram (yeah, that long ago) '29 Ford 3'n 1 Rat Rod were made in China, as stated on the box:

RM29RRPU.jpg.ff7cde175efc409357be05d53ea4b33a.jpg

The Tweedy Pie #4922 tire parts, same thing:

TweedyPieReissueTires.jpg.522b2de89312780449e66e78192aa1e8.jpg

Tweedy Pie 2's tires were molded in Japan, so those are long gone, too:

tp2.jpg.6744f396232941ec47a0b8d0fd9d7cf2.jpg

Exhaust port spacing on the Buick Nailhead V8 looks a tad bit off, and from what I recall in my research regarding 1/25 Buick Nailheads, the engine wasn't terribly accurate anyway. Maybe the recent '29 Model A's Nailhead is better, but I recall the exhaust post spacing was noticeably off on that one, too.

The Chevy V8 W engine in the Revell '62 Impala is excellent, so taking off the rose colored glasses and ignoring nostalgia, I don't think any '60s era Revell engine is going to move the needle to be honest.