Model Cars Magazine Forum

2021 IPMS Nationals Kit Information

niteowl7710

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I doubt the automotive modelling world is holding its breath waiting for that engine in a parts pack.  Let's see the ones that haven't been reissued (Buick, turbine, maybe the Chrysler) turn up in the separate drag car kits, that will do it for me.

I'm not saying everyone wants a W engine parts pack. What I'm saying is, if it is not their intent to offer it as an optional engine in one of the drag kits, why showcase it with one of the drag kits? With all the off-the-wall conjecture that surrounds Atlantis on social media, a confusing image like this only makes things worse. I appreciate them putting things out there, but for some reason Atlantis in particular is the victim(for lack of a better word) of wild rumor and speculation about their offerings, and at times can be very maddening to witness.

11 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

No no...it's just the '79 reissued as is, as mentioned in the original post Revell's German site has the year wrong. 

Oh, thats so disappointing! :( What do we have to do to get a decent '80-'81 Camaro?

Still good that the `79 is coming out again though. I hope they have a few decal options this time. 

42 minutes ago, Hawk312 said:

Oh, thats so disappointing! :( What do we have to do to get a decent '80-'81 Camaro?

Still good that the `79 is coming out again though. I hope they have a few decal options this time. 

Please......please, fill in those T-top panels or offer plan plastic fillers to make it a hardtop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

Please......please, fill in those T-top panels or offer plan plastic fillers to make it a hardtop. 

A great mild retool would be to remove the T tops. The only Chevy I ever bought was a brand new 1982 Z28 with T tops.....fun to own....hate them on models! 

8 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

How did they get that tooling if it was last run in China? Or, am i seeing it wrong and they are in fact new tooled tires?

The 2012 reissue of the Tweedy Pie contained parts which were molded in both the U.S. and China, which is stated on the box. The tires and whitewalls were molded in China, then added to a bag containing the pins, and the bag sealed. The tire parts bag and the plated and white-molded re-tooled parts were then bagged separately, then all shipped to the U.S. in the box. Once at Revell's facility, they added the instruction sheet, decal sheet, and the vintage parts which came from the original mold inside the kit box during packaging.

Did someone in an official role at Atlantis state the tires shown on the built model at the IPMS show are all in fact new? They could've used the Revell tires, and stated they are creating new ones which have not yet been shown publicly. It could also be that the tire parts mold did make it's way to the U.S. at some point, too. Not sure what the last kit was which included those tires, so, I wouldn't rule it out, but using the Revell tire parts (i.e New Old Stock tire parts) for the IPMS models seems most likely to me.

Revell 85-4922 Tweedy Pie reissue box below:

Revell2012TweedyPie.jpg.00daece4688f2c14125a752489b8fe50.jpg

348978202_s-l1600(2).jpg.aebbeee9875f089ec05d9ff087661054.jpg

366256173_s-l1600(10).jpg.acfbb137637cdca8f31b719c8ac76354.jpg

The below parts (essentially, the still existing, vintage parts from the original mold) appear to be those made in the U.S.:

1770339204_s-l1600(13).jpg.ce371cd8c8dfc2f4899f92918e0c649c.jpg

1079895668_s-l1600(17).jpg.228b11c1442fc0422d7cff3342b72580.jpg

With that established, I suspect the tires and whitewalls on the built models at Atlantis' space at the IMPS show in Vegas are pre-existing Revell tires and whitewalls,  from either the Tweedy Pie or '29 Ford 3'n 1 Rat Rod kit. I strongly doubt any of the newly-tooled-in-China parts specific to the Tweedy Pie are now stateside, and in Atlantis' possession. I suspect they will create new parts as needed, based upon their plans for whatever they have of the Tweedy Pie kit.

I am fairly confident I read Atlantis obtained no tire molds at all from Revell, so again, my guess is Atlantis will create new tires, but they have not yet been shown publicly.

As I was looking thru the pictures, my mouth dropped open wider. Especially the ‘71 Olds and the ‘79 Z28 reissue.

I also looked at my wallet on the counter, and I think I saw it ask for Mercy…

Anyone know how much a case of ‘79 Z28’s will run?😂

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Not only that, but the coupe's body is accurate and the roadster's isn't. If I ever build another Revell '67 roadster, I'll convert a coupe body (or maybe just start with the snapper). 

Out of curiosity what is wrong with the roadster body?

2 hours ago, dbostream said:

Out of curiosity what is wrong with the roadster body?

The tops of the front fenders and the front "header" panel are bloated and fat looking. This has been discussed here many times. The coupe's okay, as are the two '63 snappers. It's just the '67 roadster. 

21 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

It appears the interior panels and seat are from the original '32 roadster release.

I just checked those renderings against a kit I have and the pattern on the door panels is completely different as is the seat. So, looks like new parts.

Here's the instructions from the original.

Screenshot_20210821-114345_Drive.jpg

Edited by Fabrux

Does anyone of know, was the original Revell 32 Ford Roadster tooling modified into the Stacey David Rat Roaster? Or was brand-new steel cut for the Rat Roaster kit? Seems to me that most of the major kit pieces (body, frame, hood, interior, wheels/tires) are either completely different or very heavily modified. And the engine and transmission and assorted parts were brand new for the kit at the time.

Not knowing any of the minute details, from the outside looking in it would seem as though financially it would make more sense to cut brand new steel and end up with two viable kits rather than spend the money on modifying existing tooling so extensively.

7 hours ago, Fabrux said:

I just checked those renderings against a kit I have and the pattern on the door panels is completely different as is the seat. So, looks like new parts.

The interior panels on the rendering look are different from any other of the 1/25th Deuce series. The rolls are narrower than on the 5-window coupe although the seat layout is similar. It looks like a modification of, or new tool based on the roadster interior panels.

1 hour ago, Toner283 said:

Does anyone of know, was the original Revell 32 Ford Roadster tooling modified into the Stacey David Rat Roaster? Or was brand-new steel cut for the Rat Roaster kit? Seems to me that most of the major kit pieces (body, frame, hood, interior, wheels/tires) are either completely different or very heavily modified. And the engine and transmission and assorted parts were brand new for the kit at the time.

Not knowing any of the minute details, from the outside looking in it would seem as though financially it would make more sense to cut brand new steel and end up with two viable kits rather than spend the money on modifying existing tooling so extensively.

It is indeed a entirely new tool. The existing '32 had been pushed as far as it could go in terms if usage and "real estate" on the engravable tooling area, so an entirely new one was made patterning it after the first kit as much as possible to save development costs. I don't know how well the Rat Roaster sold, but in any regards being able to tool up the new interior and windshield for it and release it again will help offset the tooling costs of a "one off" kit.

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Fabrux said:

Here's the instructions from the original.

Screenshot_20210821-114345_Drive.jpg

You're right. I can see that the door panels have a lip that will go behind the seat. I bet they're going to delete the Rat Roaster upholstered back panel. -RRR

These new kits from Revell, are going to be a whole lot of fun to look at when they get here.

Some really nice stuff on tap. I hope the (Ex-Rat Roaster) keeps two sets of wheels. Those Halibrands are are worth the price of the kits by itself. I hope they can be kept in the new version. That Lo-Pro Blower is really neat too.

On 8/21/2021 at 7:38 PM, niteowl7710 said:

It is indeed a entirely new tool. The existing '32 had been pushed as far as it could go in terms if usage and "real estate" on the engravable tooling area, so an entirely new one was made patterning it after the first kit as much as possible to save development costs. I don't know how well the Rat Roaster sold, but in any regards being able to tool up the new interior and windshield for it and release it again will help offset the tooling costs of a "one off" kit.

Judging by the price that the original Rat Roaster kit commands on the secondary Market I would say they could have made another shipping container full of them and they probably would have sold. Regardless, I'm definitely glad to see it come back especially with that Duvall windshield. The new updated parts are excellent. I just wish they would finally issue one of the Revell Deuce series kits with a quick change and a dropped I beam axle. I will buy a couple of the new issue for sure.

1 hour ago, Toner283 said:

Judging by the price that the original Rat Roaster kit commands on the secondary Market I would say they could have made another shipping container full of them and they probably would have sold. Regardless, I'm definitely glad to see it come back especially with that Duvall windshield. The new updated parts are excellent. I just wish they would finally issue one of the Revell Deuce series kits with a quick change and a dropped I beam axle. I will buy a couple of the new issue for sure.

A quick change would be nice, but I'm looking right at a Revell Deuce coupe kit, and it has a dropped beam front axle.

Even a leaf spring with a regular Ford rear end with be nice, but it's been covered many times before.  The lack of it will not be a deal breaker, and if you really want a more traditional rear end, this is a relatively painless operation that has also been covered before.

32 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

A quick change would be nice, but I'm looking right at a Revell Deuce coupe kit, and it has a dropped beam front axle.

Even a leaf spring with a regular Ford rear end with be nice, but it's been covered many times before.  The lack of it will not be a deal breaker, and if you really want a more traditional rear end, this is a relatively painless operation that has also been covered before.

Which Revell Deuce coupe kit that you are looking at has a dropped beam axle? Every one of the kits from the Revell Deuce series that I have seen (3W coupe, 5W coupe, Tudor sedan, and both the RR roadster and the normal roadster) all have the same dropped tube front axle in them. 

If you mean the pictured roadster kit that you posted up, it is not part of the series of kits that I am referring to. IIRC, it was originally tooled several decades ago and it has the fenders and frame molded together making it very difficult to build a highboy. 

I am referring to the same kits that the Rat Roaster tooling is based on. That series started with the three window coupe some point in the mid-90s. First issued in 1996 maybe?

And yes, you are correct. There are several different sources for dropped I beam axles and quick-change rear ends. However, it would be nice to have them included in the box. Without having to Source them from a different kit or the aftermarket. You know, make the kits a different from each other rather than the same old same old every time.

9 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

Which Revell Deuce coupe kit that you are looking at has a dropped beam axle? Every one of the kits from the Revell Deuce series that I have seen (3W coupe, 5W coupe, Tudor sedan, and both the RR roadster and the normal roadster) all have the same dropped tube front axle in them. 

If you mean the pictured roadster kit that you posted up, it is not part of the series of kits that I am referring to. IIRC, it was originally tooled several decades ago and it has the fenders and frame molded together making it very difficult to build a highboy. 

I am referring to the same kits that the Rat Roaster tooling is based on. That series started with the three window coupe some point in the mid-90s. First issued in 1996 maybe?

And yes, you are correct. There are several different sources for dropped I beam axles and quick-change rear ends. However, it would be nice to have them included in the box. Without having to Source them from a different kit or the aftermarket. You know, make the kits a different from each other rather than the same old same old every time.

This one right here

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-85-4228-32-ford-5-window-coupe-2-n-1--133649

Sorry, you're right, it is a tube.

Edited by Richard Bartrop