Model Cars Magazine Forum

2021 IPMS Nationals Kit Information

niteowl7710

On 8/22/2021 at 8:01 PM, Toner283 said:

Judging by the price that the original Rat Roaster kit commands on the secondary Market I would say they could have made another shipping container full of them and they probably would have sold.

Are they worth something? I had bought quite a few for the tires and wheels, but haven't done anything with them.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Wilson said:

Are they worth something? I had bought quite a few for the tires and wheels, but haven't done anything with them.

The wheels and tires are a big part of the draw of that kit. The Rat Roaster is the only time so far that that set of wheels and tires has been issued in a kit. Myself, I like them because there are quite a few parts in the Rat Roaster kit (that are specific to that kit) that easily swap on to any of the other deuces in that series from Revell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toner283 said:

The wheels and tires are a big part of the draw of that kit. The Rat Roaster is the only time so far that that set of wheels and tires has been issued in a kit. Myself, I like them because there are quite a few parts in the Rat Roaster kit (that are specific to that kit) that easily swap on to any of the other deuces in that series from Revell.

Agreed. There areva lot of parts specific to the Rat Roaster that are improvements over what's in the other Deuce kits. It also has a stockish firewall. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy Wilson said:

Kinda - they’ll top out at around $50 on eBay sometimes, but more commonly they’re more in the $40 range, which means the sellers are probably making about the MSRP of what the new kits will be I’d imagine (after eBay / PayPal fees etc).

If you think you’ll EVER build them, probably not worth trying to flip them if you’ll end up replacing them with the ‘reissue’ later anyway…

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Kinda - they’ll top out at around $50 on eBay sometimes, but more commonly they’re more in the $40 range, which means the sellers are probably making about the MSRP of what the new kits will be I’d imagine (after eBay / PayPal fees etc).

If you think you’ll EVER build them, probably not worth trying to flip them if you’ll end up replacing them with the ‘reissue’ later anyway…

I didn't really buy them to try and flip. I've bought a few models I thought that would work with and still have them. I really like the tire/wheel combo in the kit, and the engine options. I've really wanted to try and work the tire and fenders into a Fiat coupe build and see where that might go. I thought the Fiat would look cool with the front fenders mounted like the deuce coupes. All the gimmicky stuff about the "Rat Roaster" was a selling point for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Wilson said:

I didn't really buy them to try and flip. I've bought a few models I thought that would work with and still have them. I really like the tire/wheel combo in the kit, and the engine options. I've really wanted to try and work the tire and fenders into a Fiat coupe build and see where that might go. I thought the Fiat would look cool with the front fenders mounted like the deuce coupes. All the gimmicky stuff about the "Rat Roaster" was a selling point for me.

So, are those rear fenders separate pieces on this kit?  I assumed they were…

4 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Ohh, that’s a cool one dude!  I don’t think I saw that before!  Love the color…nice wheel and tire choice too!  

Thanks! It’s been built for a good while now.  It actually uses the entire Rat Roaster chassis, exhaust, Chevy small block, grill/shell and modified interior panels, floor pan and seats. Wheels and tires are from Orange Crate ‘32 Sedan. I changed the motor to a dual 4 barrel intake and stock ‘57 exhaust manifolds. The pictures I have are terrible from a Nikon digital camera that never worked good. I should take new, improved pics. 

32D7224C-0C2D-46BD-83E0-85480288A454.jpeg.924125c9f93dd6ecda3107c8388074cf.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Thanks! It’s been built for a good while now.  It actually uses the entire Rat Roaster chassis, exhaust, Chevy small block, grill/shell and modified interior panels, floor pan and seats. Wheels and tires are from Orange Crate ‘32 Sedan. I changed the motor to a dual 4 barrel intake and stock ‘57 exhaust manifolds. The pictures I have are terrible from a Nikon digital camera that never worked good. I should take new, improved pics. 

Dennis....that is one tasty baste (one of my terms for a killer looking hot rod)....TIM 

On 8/19/2021 at 12:44 PM, niteowl7710 said:

They did have wheel and tires sets on the table, but I have no experience with their product line to know if they're old or new. I'll be sure to ask. The Tri-Fives are indeed the old Revell kits. 

Are they going to reissue the old triple model optioned '56 Chevrolet sedan kit?

On 8/19/2021 at 12:48 PM, oldrevellfan said:

I am very interest with the rat roaster conversion !! the duvall windshield is a must have !!

I was hoping they would include the Sprint Car style headers and the dropped I beam axle. That bigger blower is ok but I'd sure like the BDS one for some other street cars.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:34 AM, Mark said:

The Chevy "W" engine is in the old Revell '55 Chevy hardtop kit.  A simplified copy of same is in the Revell '53/'54 Chevy kits.

Wasn't the W series engine released in the mid '60s parts packs?  I've been wanting the street rod chassis they show, but I was hoping they were going to release the Bantam Body too.

Edited by horsepower

On 8/20/2021 at 11:51 AM, Casey said:

The tire parts from the 2001 issue of the Revell-Monogram (yeah, that long ago) '29 Ford 3'n 1 Rat Rod were made in China, as stated on the box:

RM29RRPU.jpg.ff7cde175efc409357be05d53ea4b33a.jpg

The Tweedy Pie #4922 tire parts, same thing:

TweedyPieReissueTires.jpg.522b2de89312780449e66e78192aa1e8.jpg

Tweedy Pie 2's tires were molded in Japan, so those are long gone, too:

tp2.jpg.6744f396232941ec47a0b8d0fd9d7cf2.jpg

Exhaust port spacing on the Buick Nailhead V8 looks a tad bit off, and from what I recall in my research regarding 1/25 Buick Nailheads, the engine wasn't terribly accurate anyway. Maybe the recent '29 Model A's Nailhead is better, but I recall the exhaust post spacing was noticeably off on that one, too.

The Chevy V8 W engine in the Revell '62 Impala is excellent, so taking off the rose colored glasses and ignoring nostalgia, I don't think any '60s era Revell engine is going to move the needle to be honest.

This Buick is the same one used in the Ivo Showboat four engine dragster kit, at the time the new Model A roadster kit came out and was panned for the wrong exhaust spacing it was said that the original parts packs and the Ivo car were the only source for correct heads on a detailed block.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:13 PM, Casey said:

The 2012 reissue of the Tweedy Pie contained parts which were molded in both the U.S. and China, which is stated on the box. The tires and whitewalls were molded in China, then added to a bag containing the pins, and the bag sealed. The tire parts bag and the plated and white-molded re-tooled parts were then bagged separately, then all shipped to the U.S. in the box. Once at Revell's facility, they added the instruction sheet, decal sheet, and the vintage parts which came from the original mold inside the kit box during packaging.

Did someone in an official role at Atlantis state the tires shown on the built model at the IPMS show are all in fact new? They could've used the Revell tires, and stated they are creating new ones which have not yet been shown publicly. It could also be that the tire parts mold did make it's way to the U.S. at some point, too. Not sure what the last kit was which included those tires, so, I wouldn't rule it out, but using the Revell tire parts (i.e New Old Stock tire parts) for the IPMS models seems most likely to me.

Revell 85-4922 Tweedy Pie reissue box below:

Revell2012TweedyPie.jpg.00daece4688f2c14125a752489b8fe50.jpg

348978202_s-l1600(2).jpg.aebbeee9875f089ec05d9ff087661054.jpg

366256173_s-l1600(10).jpg.acfbb137637cdca8f31b719c8ac76354.jpg

The below parts (essentially, the still existing, vintage parts from the original mold) appear to be those made in the U.S.:

1770339204_s-l1600(13).jpg.ce371cd8c8dfc2f4899f92918e0c649c.jpg

1079895668_s-l1600(17).jpg.228b11c1442fc0422d7cff3342b72580.jpg

With that established, I suspect the tires and whitewalls on the built models at Atlantis' space at the IMPS show in Vegas are pre-existing Revell tires and whitewalls,  from either the Tweedy Pie or '29 Ford 3'n 1 Rat Rod kit. I strongly doubt any of the newly-tooled-in-China parts specific to the Tweedy Pie are now stateside, and in Atlantis' possession. I suspect they will create new parts as needed, based upon their plans for whatever they have of the Tweedy Pie kit.

I am fairly confident I read Atlantis obtained no tire molds at all from Revell, so again, my guess is Atlantis will create new tires, but they have not yet been shown publicly.

I was thinking that the T-body might be the one used in the original street rod/drag altered body that was issued as a Parts Pack way back when, same for that chassis it looks a lot like the original Parts Pack street rod chassis from the good old days since it appears that the body doesn't have the opening passenger door like the Tweedy Pie bodies were.

On 8/22/2021 at 6:01 PM, Toner283 said:

Judging by the price that the original Rat Roaster kit commands on the secondary Market I would say they could have made another shipping container full of them and they probably would have sold. Regardless, I'm definitely glad to see it come back especially with that Duvall windshield. The new updated parts are excellent. I just wish they would finally issue one of the Revell Deuce series kits with a quick change and a dropped I beam axle. I will buy a couple of the new issue for sure.

The original Rat Roaster kit has a dropped I-beam, I was hoping it would carry over but if they don't do it the new Model A roadster and coupe both have a dropped I-beam that fits the other '32 chassis too.

8 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Those are '55-'56 265 exhaust manifolds the '57 was the first of the center dump rams horn manifolds. At least the 1:1 '56 I owned and the '57 my friend had were that way.

Edited by horsepower
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, horsepower said:

Wasn't the W series engine released in the mid '60s parts packs?  I've been wanting the street rod chassis they show, but I was hoping they were going to release the Bantam Body too.

No 348/409 parts pack back then, and I seriously doubt there will be one now.  The original packs included two small-block Chevies, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Ford 427 wedge, Chrysler 392, and a fictional turbine.  One Chevy ended up in the '57 hardtop kit, and the Chrysler is in the Studebaker funny car now.  The other Chevy, along with the Pontiac, Cad, and 427 Ford were reissued awhile back.  That leaves the Buick and turbine, hopefully those will resurface.

3 hours ago, horsepower said:

Are they going to reissue the old triple model optioned '56 Chevrolet sedan kit?

They had a '57 Nomad body sitting there behind some stuff - quasi out of public view - although it's listed in the catalog they were handing out as a pending release. But there was nothing there showing the '56.

Of those Tri-Five Chevy kits, the '56 needs the most work as the last issue was unbuildable.  The windshield and rear glass fell through the openings.  I'd bet it won't be available as long as the newer Revell kit is available.

The '57 Nomad probably just needs a bit of care in molding, as many of the bodies in recent issue kits have a sunken cowl on one side.  Just going slower in production would probably fix that, as the early kits don't have that problem.

The '55 and '57 hardtops are still buildable, though the hinges are on the sloppy side (but that has always been true).

4 hours ago, horsepower said:

The original Rat Roaster kit has a dropped I-beam, I was hoping it would carry over but if they don't do it the new Model A roadster and coupe both have a dropped I-beam that fits the other '32 chassis too.

The full size Rat Roaster car has a dropped beam axle but the kit does not. It has the same dropped tube axle as the rest of the Revell Deuce series of kits. I would guess that Revell saved money on tooling costs by directly copying as many of the parts as they could from the other kits. 90% of the people buying the Rat Roaster kit would not be able to tell the difference between the axle in the real car and the axle in the kit and a lot of the ones that could tell the difference wouldn't care. Only those of us on the lunatic fringe would be able to tell and be frustrated that Revell skipped over reproducing that part of the real car.

• Like 1