Model Cars Magazine Forum

2021 IPMS Nationals Kit Information

niteowl7710

20 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

The full size Rat Roaster car has a dropped beam axle but the kit does not. It has the same dropped tube axle as the rest of the Revell Deuce series of kits. I would guess that Revell saved money on tooling costs by directly copying as many of the parts as they could from the other kits. 90% of the people buying the Rat Roaster kit would not be able to tell the difference between the axle in the real car and the axle in the kit and a lot of the ones that could tell the difference wouldn't care. Only those of us on the lunatic fringe would be able to tell and be frustrated that Revell skipped over reproducing that part of the real car.

The axle isn’t exactly the same. The spring is redesigned at the top center to lower the front end an extra 1/16” compared to all the other ‘32 series kits. That’s like an extra 1-1/2” drop in full scale and it’s noticeable. 

56 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

The full size Rat Roaster car has a dropped beam axle but the kit does not. It has the same dropped tube axle as the rest of the Revell Deuce series of kits. I would guess that Revell saved money on tooling costs by directly copying as many of the parts as they could from the other kits. 90% of the people buying the Rat Roaster kit would not be able to tell the difference between the axle in the real car and the axle in the kit and a lot of the ones that could tell the difference wouldn't care. Only those of us on the lunatic fringe would be able to tell and be frustrated that Revell skipped over reproducing that part of the real car.

What your post just made me realize after all these years since the RR was kitted... Revell spent the money to make an all new mold, with RR specific parts, but didn't do the I beam. What a missed opportunity. I can see them not changing it in all the modified reissues over the years. But they cut all new steel for the RR, and didn't do the Ibeam, even though it's a design feature of the subject car. 

Thankfully they put it in the model A's 

• Like 1

Well, both of those Revell Porsches will make their way into my stash for sure. I don't recall Revell doing those particular ones before; especially the Targa, so I wonder if they might be related to the older Fujimi kits. I think Revell and Fujimi have worked together in the past? 

Anyway, I'll be getting both.

And the Lightning was cool too. I am not a F&F fan, but I do like the truck. 

7 hours ago, horsepower said:

Those are '55-'56 265 exhaust manifolds the '57 was the first of the center dump rams horn manifolds. At least the 1:1 '56 I owned and the '57 my friend had were that way.

I was under the impression that low performance engines still got the offset outlet manifolds in ‘57 and the hi performance (dual 4-barrel and Rochester FI for example) engines got the center outlet “Ram Horns.” I thought that both styles came in the Revell ‘57 150 “Black Widow” sedan? I very well may be wrong. I also have a few of those Revell Tri-5 Chevy engines I bought by themselves on eBay and some of them are from ‘55 kits and that’s where I grabbed those manifolds from. Hmmm… 🤔

Those newer '55-'57 Chevy kits share a bunch of parts, so one version will often have extra parts from another.  I thought all of the '57 V8 cars had the ram's horn exhaust manifolds, but it's possible that those with the 265 engine may have had the earlier ones.  All of those were two-barrel carb/single exhaust, and I believe all had three-speed manual transmissions.

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Well, both of those Revell Porsches will make their way into my stash for sure. I don't recall Revell doing those particular ones before; especially the Targa, so I wonder if they might be related to the older Fujimi kits. I think Revell and Fujimi have worked together in the past? 

The 911s are a completely new tool unrelated to any past anything from anyone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I'm definitely looking forward to the 911s, especially the Targa. If Revell wants to score points with the Porsche geeks, they should include the Pasha checkerboard upholstery pattern on the decal sheet like they did with the 1/16 928 reissue. Most people associate it with the 928, but it was available on the 911 as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Just like the fact that the 1:1 had a four link rear suspension but the kit still has the same long ladder bars the other '32s had. But I guess if you to get ambitious you could use the nine inch Ford and the four link from the Foose pick-up. That motor will work great for putting a Ford engine in a Ford car. I'm even using one as a dirt late model engine and another for a 360 Ford powered Sprint car.

14 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The 911s are a completely new tool unrelated to any past anything from anyone.

Excellent! A brand new tool, using modern tech. Should be quite accurate! Looking forward to getting both.

2 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

I'm definitely looking forward to the 911s, especially the Targa. If Revell wants to score points with the Porsche geeks, they should include the Pasha checkerboard upholstery pattern on the decal sheet like they did with the 1/16 928 reissue. Most people associate it with the 928, but it was available on the 911 as well.

The Pasha interior was on the earlier generation 911, the SC. These kits appear to be the next gen 1984-1988 cars which didn't have that interior. The cloth interior on these was decidedly less cool. Leather bolsters, cloth inserts with the Porsche script repeated in the same colour. I still like it, but definitely didn't have the wow factor of their earlier cars!

albi40309.jpg.2e5074960d4b22a6886065a7290d5abe.jpg

The earliest 3.2s had this interior. Which I think is awful, regardless of colour.

art-mg-porsche911carrera13.jpg.a9d098306ccbf614be371feb77ea9583.jpg

Edited by iamsuperdan
spelling

20 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

The axle isn’t exactly the same. The spring is redesigned at the top center to lower the front end an extra 1/16” compared to all the other ‘32 series kits. That’s like an extra 1-1/2” drop in full scale and it’s noticeable. 

This is information that I did not know. I have never built a Rat Roaster straight out of the box and usually the first modification I do to those Revell front axles is modify the mounting tab so that it sits higher in the chassis thereby making the car sit lower.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, horsepower said:

Just like the fact that the 1:1 had a four link rear suspension but the kit still has the same long ladder bars the other '32s had. But I guess if you to get ambitious you could use the nine inch Ford and the four link from the Foose pick-up. That motor will work great for putting a Ford engine in a Ford car. I'm even using one as a dirt late model engine and another for a 360 Ford powered Sprint car.

You are absolutely correct. But at least you can't really see the triangulated 4 link (or lack thereof) unless you turn the model over. As someone has already said, that dropped I beam axle was kind of one of the signature pieces of the full sized Rat Roaster. Definitely a missed opportunity on Revell's part since they were cutting new steel for the tooling anyway.

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

These kits appear to be the next gen 1984-1988 cars which didn't have that interior. The cloth interior on these was decidedly less cool. Leather bolsters, cloth inserts with the Porsche script repeated in the same colour. I still like it, but definitely didn't have the wow factor of their earlier 

Ed believed these were going to be marketed at 1984s. Which would make them a year earlier and slightly different flavoring than the various Fujimi 1985 911 Turbo based kits. 

5 hours ago, Toner283 said:

This is information that I did not know. I have never built a Rat Roaster straight out of the box and usually the first modification I do to those Revell front axles is modify the mounting tab so that it sits higher in the chassis thereby making the car sit lower.

I do the same with every Revell ‘32 I build, too. In the case of the Rat Roaster, they did that mod for us. 

Not a fan of the off road wheels they designed, but I am interested in the 3D model of the "off-road" Moebius F-Series kit, it looks like they did design an actual 4x4 F250 (looks to also be shown in the physical mockup with the plow mount on the front). With Joseph at Fireball essentially stopping production of his F250 conversion kit, this will be nice for those who couldn't get it but still want the F250 build. However, I will say his conversion will most likely be the more accurate and detailed of the two.

Edited by Jordan White

I'm glad to see the return of Revell's 67 Corvette coupe. It's an excellent kit and has always been the hardest of the '67 Vette pair to find but I'm disappointed to see no reference to whether anyone is going to do the new C8 Vette.........PLEASE !!!

Two of my favorite kits returning! Nice to see that the monogram 66 malibu is finally returning..and as a 2n1! Thank you to whoever has been listening. I've been saying for last few years on various sites and posts that it would be cool to see that kit brought back with parts from both the red and black versions in it  to build it either way or as a combination of both.  I look forward to building that one again fresh and new. It's been 17 years since the black version was out..been 30 years since the red one was last made.

I also look forward to the revell 55 Chevy with opening doors ..been 31 years since I last seen it new.. the black " skips fiesta " version was the last one made when the ,then new, amt 55 sedan dethroned it. 

48 minutes ago, Rotorbolt73 said:

Two of my favorite kits returning! Nice to see that the monogram 66 malibu is finally returning..and as a 2n1! Thank you to whoever has been listening. I've been saying for last few years on various sites and posts that it would be cool to see that kit brought back with parts from both the red and black versions in it  to build it either way or as a combination of both.  I look forward to building that one again fresh and new.

Good luck with that build. I started one in the '70s and only finished it up a couple years ago. It was a major PITA straightening the roof, getting the front end to fit, and trying to fix that gadawful, mickey mouse chassis into something that resembles something that might have actually worked on a real car. Even after all that work, it has noticeable shape problems in the roof C-pillars. I can say I wrestled one to the ground, but I'll never do another one. I'd rather try to graft the front and rear ends onto a Revell '67 body, if that could be made to work. :angry:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Good luck with that build. I started one in the '70s and only finished it up a couple years ago. It was a major PITA straightening the roof, getting the front end to fit, and trying to fix that gadawful, mickey mouse chassis into something that resembles something that might have actually worked on a real car. Even after all that work, it has noticeable shape problems in the roof C-pillars. I can say I wrestled one to the ground, but I'll never do another one. I'd rather try to graft the front and rear ends onto a Revell '67 body, if that could be made to work. :angry:

Man I've never had a problem with that kit..I built several . Couple I even converted to "stock" before the Lindberg 66 or revell 67 kit came out. Makes a great project car for a garage diorama with the front cap removed ..I always enjoyed it..

Ohh and the rear bumper/tailight  panel piece won't fit the revell 67 body very well . I've tried that already .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rotorbolt73 said:

Man I've never had a problem with that kit..I built several . Couple I even converted to "stock" before the Lindberg 66 or revell 67 kit came out. Makes a great project car for a garage diorama with the front cap removed ..I always enjoyed it..

Ohh and the rear bumper/tailight  panel piece won't fit the revell 67 body very well . I've tried that already .

I enjoyed the kit twice and look forward to a third time.  The Ford Lightning has my interest.  

10 hours ago, Rotorbolt73 said:

Man I've never had a problem with that kit..I built several

I think the 'spread' between the lower end of the front fenders can be hit an miss on these kits, as I had some warpage on one red version I built in the '80s. There are plenty of slots for aligning the front end chassis and suspension parts when assembling it all, but multiple parts need to be assembled at the same time, so everything needs to go together perfectly to get a good end result.

Monogram222966MalibuStreetRat3-vi.jpg