Model Cars Magazine Forum

K-Whopper log truck, Pacific Northwest style!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the trim on the cab painted and glass in. Given the amount of injector pin marks and flash on the kit glass I probably would’ve been better off starting with clear plastic sheet. 

I ended up using the Wildkat pinstripe decals from the AMT ‘53 F-100 kit. I still need to figure a company name for the doors though.

5BF58317-BFAB-4A7C-A66D-EB9F28BDA5C7.thumb.jpeg.06b00187e451808cf5272d3083d17fc7.jpegF5359722-4520-4F5F-A3F4-1F8331EAFC6A.thumb.jpeg.123f2cfe698ed9d11bb5bcc776d2c6bf.jpeg1C97BCFC-29A3-414B-B4AA-ECC715730B48.thumb.jpeg.d3cb19181067af1fa5764d22f7fb9a31.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Very Sharp!

As a Pacific Northwest logging truck you’re going to have to get her real dirty unless, of course, she’s still brand new and hasn’t been in the bush yet.

Recently I’ve been working on the Challenge Mixer kit. I’m building it for a friend who drove for Lafarge for more than 25 years. This current kit is definitely not as nice as I remember when I built the Kenworth many years ago. There hasn’t been one single part that hasn’t needed serious reworking. Not one!  I have a rolling chassis now and started work on the exhaust when I finally walked away from the build. I will get back on it eventually but the condition of the exhaust parts, particularly the muffler and stack assemblies with moulded on heat shields, is so bad it’s barely good enough for the garbage bin. They don’t even assemble in to something that resembles a round cross section. I just bought some very nice looking aftermarket exhaust which has very nice mufflers, exhaust stack, mounting brackets, and PE heat shields. 

5212BF7B-49C4-460D-A11C-668067CDCFFC.jpeg.7872976e16661874bf72c51895f80279.jpeg

Good luck with the rest of your build. You either haven’t mentioned the condition of your kit or I got a really bad example.

Cheers,                           
Wolf (who’s just a wee bit further north from where you are).

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2022 at 8:08 PM, Wolf said:

This current kit is definitely not as nice as I remember when I built the Kenworth many years ago. There hasn’t been one single part that hasn’t needed serious reworking. Not one!  

Yeah, the part that irked me the most about this kit is the grille and grille surround piece, one of the grill sections is pretty cockeyed. Good thing I’m building it as a used truck. The chrome on the front bumper actually had a run in it, so I stripped it and painted it to look like brushed aluminum. 

Nice find on the aftermarket exhausts. They look great. Is the top portion of the stacks turned aluminum?