Model Cars Magazine Forum

*User Names (Screen Names)*

Zippi

I saw this covered somewhere but can't seem to find it so that tells me it must be an old thread.  I have gone by the name "Zippi" for over 20 years.  Before I retired everyone at work knew me by the name "Zippi" and didn't even know my real name.  Back in the day we use to run the local bulletin boards (online chat area and games) in DOS (if you don't know what DOS is google it) and you could chat with folks or download/upload small games.  Being in DOS you had to type in the pkzip or pkunzip command/name of the file/ where your going to store it etc.  I use to get get the pkzip/pkunzip commands wrong all the time so someone called me zippy one day and it stuck.  My daughters name is Kelli with an "i" so I changed name to Zippi.   

I use my own name on the model boards.  In the past I used Model Citizen and did a column in my club newsletter called “The Model Citizen”.  My AOL user name was modlcitizn since early on they were limited to nine characters.

As you mentioned work, I once worked in a large drafting room at Exxon R&D.  There were three Toms and the solution was that nobody got called Tom. The other two were known as Junior and Senior since they were indeed father and son. 

It was procedure there that we all signed our drawings with our initials so I became TAG!  

Edited by Tom Geiger

My username dates back to 1989-1990 or so.

My old thrash metal band in high school. I was the guitar player, and back then, you had to have blazing solos in every song, and during gigs there had to be a solo spot. I'm pretty sure it was a law.

Anyway, before a solo, or when introducing the band, our singer would always introduce me as Superdan.

I always thought it was cheesy, but whatever. I rolled with it. And now 30 years later, I still use it online and in my Hotmail. My Hotmail address is old enough that I didn't require numbers or dashes or anything, so that's cool.

Jolly Sipper is something of an alter ego I came up with in High School.... I thought up the idea of a band name, which was 'Jolly Sipper's Bottling Company', or JSBCo....

In philosophy, thoughts are thought to be like water (or wine), you can tread or drown in..... or just sitting back sippin'......

;)

When I first moved to NY maybe 15 years ago my one friend told me "if you move there you'll either end up homeless or a cab driver".

(I never ended up being either, for the record, but I still think I could do a decent job of driving a medallion cab... 😁 )

Edited by CabDriver

my real name is mike and miles is my nickname that my brother in law accidentally gave me. when my wife and i first got married he texted my wife asking if Miles was coming to dinner. My wife responded with who is miles

he swore it was an autocorrect error and that he did know my name was mike. its been 15 years now that i have been called miles by all of my in laws. i go by miles now. in fact, only my mother and sisters call me michael (or mike)

Edited by MrMiles

I originally joined up here when the site began by invitation of Gregg and a few other original members and used my regular name at that time as this was supposed to be a board where everyone used their real name and wouldn't be able to hide behind a screen name to cause trouble. 

A few years I got into it with a few members and decided to go on vacation and had all my content wiped.

Came back a year later with a new screen name Can-Con.

Easy to figure out, just google and it's the first wiki entry.

Tbill came about one day at work about 25 years ago, one of the managers at work was talking about treasury bills, looked over at me, and said, ‘well what do you know, you’re a T bill too!’  ( obvious play on my name, Tom Billings), and from then on, he always referred to me as Tbill, so I started using it as my screen name after that.

I started off using my real name as my username, but about 2 years ago I had it changed to what it is now.

My friends started calling me “Hotrod” when I first got into racing, and 97 is the year of my race truck (1997). 

And, since I was somewhere almost every weekend during the racing season at the time, Hotrod 97 seemed applicable. 

Hey guys, here is the original thread that Zippi didn't find. It was not that long ago (2019).  Lets see if any of you changed your explanations. ;)

That thread has a ling to another, even older thread on this subject.

Edited by peteski

I may have replied to one or both of the other threads. I'll check it out. In the meantime, I'll reply here.

My username, BUCKY, came from the nickname a foreman gave me way back in 1980. He couldn't remember my first name, which is Keith. He called me Kyle, Kevin, Kenny.... anything starting with a "K", except Keith. He got tired of me correcting him all the time and decided to shorten my last name, which is Buckner. It's been with me since then.

2 hours ago, peteski said:

Hey guys, here is the original thread that Zippi didn't find. It was not that long ago (2019).  Lets see if any of you changed your explanations. ;)

[...]

I'm just thrilled that my sunset photo with my MINI shows up like this. 😁  No change here.

My username sounds like something I would have gotten in third grade, but it's a much more recent invention (from 2011 when I joined the H.A.M.B.). It was just something that sort of rolls off the tongue easily, and of course it's a play on words from the old Post cereal Crispy Critters. The avatar is a shot of my old '62 Imperial at a vintage service station in Altadena, CA, taken back in 1983:

my62imperialscan3.jpg.01929847692a9f8863db3dc6cf418902.jpg

The whole car:

my62imperialscan2.jpg.405f9f25c8f169ae824c434462856e50.jpg

this name goes back to 2008.  started using it on a couple RC car forums that are unfortunately no longer around.  then started using it everywhere.  the name comes from living in the suburbs and while not being a bad guy i march to the beat of my own drum and do things people would prefer i not do and subsequently iv dealt with being labeled a hooligan my whole life.

before that i used to use the name st_dragn_wagen.  which is a reference to my bug.  st being the abbreviation for street.  dragn came from both drag racing and dragging the ground.  and wagen for Volkswagen.  and that name goes back to the late 90's when i first started using the internet and signing up for forums.

before that i just used random names that i thought sounded cool at the time.  a few i can remember are Kafer Meister, Zero Cool, Redneck (also my nickname in high school).  Newbomb (Newbomb Turk), Phreakazoid.

Venom ... Because in the day Shelby’s were killin’ the competition, and the only car I kept from my past model building days was a Revell 427 Cobra ... And in returning to the hobby 10 years later, the car that brought me back was the building of another Revell 427 Cobra.

My avitar was something I found online randomly, but I really liked it since my current WIP is a ‘65 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe ... this is significant because the WIP is the first and only in-depth thing I’ve ever done online.

Edited by Venom