Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy II Gasser!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, peteski said:

Well, (while my suggestions in that thread were not inflammatory), I think that Tim deflecting, or ignoring  any comments about the inaccuracy of the body (which clearly seemed to be "off" to the knowledgeable modelers who actually cared about the problem) didn't help things either.  If Tim simply admit that the model was "off", that would have likely prevented some, or all of the animosity.  But then again, Tim being in the position that he was in (reviewing a preproduction model supplied by the manufacturer) had to defend the model's accuracy.  It was a tough position to be in. Seems like in this case it was a no-win situation for Tim and for the knowledgeable modelers making (increasingly inflammatory, after being ignored) comments.

But if (as I mentioned) the manufacturer showed the 3D printed prototype body before cutting the tool, they would have gained valuable info from the "experts" on this forum, so the original tool would have been cut accurately.  At least that is how I see it. Work out all the kinks before cutting tooling, crowd-sourcing the knowledge.

Pete...welcome your view on this.  But to be clear, I did not deflect or ignore comments on the body "being off" (I read every one of them), but many of the comments were simply not factually correct.  I did not feel it was my obligation to respond to those.  Whether that was the correct response or not is, I suppose, justifiably open to debate. I also simply was asking people to wait until they could see the final result, then form their own opinion, as I believed any possible issues would become much more obvious upon viewing the completed model.   Which again, could be open to debate.  And to your own comments (apologies in advance if I am not remembering those correctly), I did not have access to a real car to do any measurements to compare with the kit body.  Finally, I did not, and do not, ever feel any obligation to defend a certain model kit; feeling that it will stand or fall on its own merits.  In this case I thought the kit was an outstanding effort, one undoubtedly made even better by the recent revisions.  But ultimately the modeling community, not I, will make the final call on that verdict. 

Having said all this, should I ever decide to do such a online buildup/preview again here in the future, I will probably approach it in a very different manner. 

Best...TB 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, peteski said:

But if (as I mentioned) the manufacturer showed the 3D printed prototype body before cutting the tool, they would have gained valuable info from the "experts" on this forum, so the original tool would have been cut accurately.  At least that is how I see it. Work out all the kinks before cutting tooling, crowd-sourcing the knowledge.

Nice idea but not practical. Although 3d prints help, they carry a cost and can only be done a few times.  The goal is to get a product out within a certain budget. 

On 11/12/2021 at 6:07 PM, alexis said:

So, who is going to be the first to say, "I'm sorry" for all the vitriol directed at Dave / Moebius for the "Chopped Roof" Tempest-in-a-Teapot, that prompted this re-work?

Dave, Thank You for listening. I'm sure this will pay large dividends to Moebius going forward.

Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Well, (while my suggestions in that thread were not inflammatory), I think that Tim deflecting, or ignoring  any comments about the inaccuracy of the body (which clearly seemed to be "off" to the knowledgeable modelers who actually cared about the problem) didn't help things either.  If Tim simply admit that the model was "off", that would have likely prevented some, or all of the animosity.  But then again, Tim being in the position that he was in (reviewing a preproduction model supplied by the manufacturer) had to defend the model's accuracy.  It was a tough position to be in. Seems like in this case it was a no-win situation for Tim and for the knowledgeable modelers making (increasingly inflammatory, after being ignored) comments.

And as you can see from a recent post we still have those questioning Tims' motives and justifying the poor behavior that went on by blaming Tim. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Having said all this, should I ever decide to do such a online buildup/preview again here in the future, I will probably approach it in a very different manner. 

Best...TB

Thanks for addressing the comments in my post Tim.  Yes, you did not have access to the 1:1 vehicle, but I suspect that those dimensions could have been provided by someone on this forum.  There are plenty of members here that possibly either own that car, or have access to one if needed.

But at this  time, it is neither here nor there, and you are correct that each one of us sees things at least slightly differently, and we all approach this hobby with a varied degrees of passion.

42 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nice idea but not practical. Although 3d prints help, they carry a cost and can only be done a few times.  The goal is to get a product out within a certain budget. 

I totally disagree with that Bob.  3D printing of prototypes from a CAD file is not only widely used, but also quite inexpensive. And why only "few times"?  A print can be done hundreds of times, if needed. It is not like it is a resin casting from RTV mold that wears out. You can print however many times you need to.

There are modelers on this forum who have 3D printers at home and print as many copies of some object as they need.  There are also companies like Shapeways that allow the designers to sell as many copies of their design as customers are willing to buy.  Your statement makes no sense to me.

Shouldn't be that baffling. Every product has a schedule and a budgets. 3d printing has a cost of materials and time for the printing , along with time for meetings and reviewing the results.  The budget is only going to allocate a fixed amount to be spent for this process for any products. With the current volumes for producing a model kit the budgets are limited. 

18 hours ago, peteski said:

That's exactly what Moebius did, three + years ago. Not sure where the disconnect happened between the people providing feedback and the company, but questions were raised about the roof at the time. 

But what matters is, they took the time and got it right, in the end.

DSC_0928-vi.jpg

• Like 1