Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Ford Falcon...I Think

Just Jim

The best and worst thing about buying models on eBay is that you never really know what you’re going to get. Such was the case with this little car. I’m not that big a fan of Falcons but I had never seen something like this for sale before and thought “I wonder if I could make that frumpy little car into a cool looking Street Rod.” Also, the price was right and the seller put in the comments “this car is literally falling apart.” I figured that type of honesty deserved to be rewarded.

When it arrived I expected it to be a complete mess but beyond that it seemed awful small. After a lot of searching, I think it must be the 1/32 scale kit in the picture. I don’t have 1/32 scale parts in my box but I did have some really small tires that came with a 57 T-Bird for the back, equally small tires from a Tamiya CRX for the front, and the ridiculously small Levi Seats that come with the AMT Gremlin. So away I went.   

The 2 pictures where it’s painted white are what it looked like when I bought it. My plan was to chop the top. I’ve been hesitant to post photos because I wasn’t sure I would be able to pull it off. However, I got the top chopped and put back together and was able to put wheels under it to check the stance. Not sure how much I like the front wheels but so far so good. It’s too bad the body was such a mess, I think I could have made the red turtle shell plastic under the white paint look great with a little clear-coat and wax. Instead I’m going try a yellow to red fade. Not sure I can pull that off either.

Finally, sending out another general thank you to everyone who takes the time to post WIPs. I would have never attempted or known where to start chopping a top without the knowledge I gained from this site.

As always thanks for looking.

Pic 1-32 Scale.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6.jpg

Detailed what little interior there is. An overhead view of the chopped roof assembled and sanded smooth. Another look at the roof from the side. Once I'm finished modifying the hood to fit (originally from the AMT Gremlin), I will tape it in place, prime everything, and start filling in any wayward gaps. 

Pic 8.jpg

Pic 9.jpg

Pic 10.jpg

On 8/23/2021 at 2:27 PM, Tom Geiger said:

That's the Premier Falcon... great replica except it's too tall, too short and too wide!   A carature  at best!   It  will be interesting to see what you do with it.

Thanks for the insight. Knowing the model is out of proportion will make it all the more satisfying if I can get it looking cool.

22 hours ago, cobraman said:

I like what your doing. Is that molded in a swirl plastic ?

Yes, the body actually looked pretty cool once I got all the paint off of it. I would have liked to keep it unpainted. Unfortunately the body was molded in 3 or 4 separate pieces that didn't fit together very well resulting in several large gaps. Between that and not having a hood, it's going to have to be painted. Hopefully I won't find out later that it was some super rare high value collectors edition that I could have sold off and retired! 🙄 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Just Jim said:

And that's the Falcon finished. More pictures in the Under Glass section within the next few days. Thanks to everyone who commented and looked in along the way. I never had anyone follow one of my builds before, very cool! 🙂

Pic 11.jpg

Great improvement! I've never seen one of these restored, let alone fixed up. You've shown there is hope for these misfits!