Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unauthorized Red Bull Drift Stunt In Ukraine Has Damaged A UNESCO World Heritage Site

Carscoops: Unauthorized Red Bull Drift Stunt In Ukraine Has Damaged A UNESCO World Heritage Site

Was going to post in the What Irked You Today thread, but thought this deserved "special" attention.  For starters, if it wasn't for Red Bull, we wouldn't see crazy people doing amazing things, such as the Red Bull Rampage mountain bike dare devils riding off a cliff in Utah, wing suit base jumping, whatever adrenalin junkies hyped up on sugar water are into.  I hate the stuff, and what is with mixing Fireball, so you can stay awake for a Monster (the competition) hangover?  Ken Block has inspired many to drive in controlled reckless abandon, no denying the car culture influence.  But come on man, laying rubber on a beautiful historic courtyard, this is simply the dumbest thing I have seen for awhile (car related).  Red Bull better pay for the cost of sandblasting all that rubber off, that's all I have to say.  Everything gets to a point where it's not cool anymore, this is a great example.  And don't get me going about rap "music", that's a whole other issue this "boomer" can't stand.  /end rant/

• Like 1

While every generation seems to lament that the world is "going to the dogs", I think things have reached pinnacle this time.  Partially blame social media for this.  If there was no FB, Twitter, and YouTube, none of this would likely happen. 

Signed: borderline boomer.

• Like 1

I blame Fast & Furious movies and social media for all this stupidity. 

Every young hero thinks he's a automotive star and is capable of doing these insane stunts simply for the social recognition and "likes".

Every intersection, parking lot and quiet street is becoming their racetrack and the rest of us risk becoming their accident statistic.

I'm fed up with it. Unfortunately, they've probably learned it from their dad's stories reminiscing about the "great old times they had getting drunk and street racing on major thoroughfares". Forgetting to tell their kids about the major crash one of them inflicted on somebody else's dead family member.

Great fun indeed. 🖓😲

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sfhess said:

Also look at commercials for just about any car you can think of,  Dodge, Mercedes, Toyota, etc etc.  Burnouts, speed, drifting and donuts.   

I always thought those ads were ridiculous. Selling and promoting the sale of cars based on extreme driving - that could never be done to any extent in day to day traffic.

But if customer's did, they'd have a field day voiding the warranties! 

So what are they selling?

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I always thought those ads were ridiculous. Selling and promoting the sale of cars based on extreme driving - that could never be done to any extent in day to day traffic.

But there is always a small print stating "do not attempt - professional  drivers on a closed course" (or something similar), to protect their rear ends. It is dumb!

What they are selling? Excitement, adrenaline rush, machismo. Typical marketing methods which appeal to their target audience.

You won't find this type of ads for Lincoln SUVs.

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Problem is that you do see examples of "extreme driving" almost every day.  And sometimes the tragic results.

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Red Bull does a lot for motorsport, but this is ridiculous.

I'm surprised that a company of Red Bull's size, with their public profile, would go ahead with something without proper permits or permissions.

That's hat's really stupid about this.   We aren't just talking about some random idiots, tearing up a courtyard because they saw someone do it on TV.  We are talking about a fairly large company that's been around for a while, who basically decided that an act of highly publicized vandalism was the way to push their product, and no doubt someone figured the extra sales would make up for any fines.  Ironically, the people who will eat this up are the same people who usually are up in arms when they think some corporation has gotten away with something.

Ultimately I'm hoping that Red Bull, not only is made to be directly responsible for remedying the situation, but also has to make a very public apology for their bad judgement and entitlement. I don't want this to end up a "throw money at it" to make it go away sutuation. Unless there is a significant consequence, it will be the same as giving permission for future ill conceived actions.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Its seems to be the new way of doing business.  Saw recently some big company had a big guveaway postponed because that hadn't gootten consent to use the merchandise they were giving away.

Ikea has taken to using graffiti as a way to hype their stuff, and they got in trouble here a few years back.   It seems local businesses weren't happy about this edgy viral campaign.  Something about having their own buildings tagged without asking.

In one way you can understand a company promoting their product in a way that they feel appeals to their customer base. The problem, and there are many, with this is they are also promoting very dangerous driving that we see often happening on our streets today not to mention the complete disrespect of rules and basic safety for others. Now to do this in front of and around a National Heritage Site even after they had been told not to ? They at least asked first, but they were told NO !  I wonder what part of NO they didn't understand. I wouldn't blame the Ukraine if came down hard on the small of their backs so to speak. Unacceptable conduct on the part of the people in charge of this filming and they should be held accountable and even made an example of in hopes that no one else will think this is acceptable.     

As for encouraging impressionable youth, I'm just going to toss this out.  Before this, it was things like Smokey and the Bandit and the Dukes of Hazard encouraging not just reckless driving, but disrespect for lawful authority. Before that it was Bullit, and Hot Rods to Hell before that.  Popular media has been feeding us a steady diet of antisocial behaviour since before any of us were born, and most of us turned out all right.   Yes, some people took it too far.   Kids jumped off roofs trying to be Superman.  and the Manson family went on a murder spree inspired by the lyrics of the Beatles.  Of course, there was all sorts of hand wringing about the terrible influence of television, comics and rock music, and yet here we are.  Personally, I can listen to Sergeant Pepper without experiencing even the slightest urge to start an apocalyptic death cult, and I know I'm not alone in that.  Most people are quite capable of distinguishing between reality and fantasy, and the few disturbed individuals who can't, just about anything will set them off.

People doing stupid things is nothing new, no matter how much we want to pretend otherwise, and no matter how many people are whispering in your ear, you're still the one who's responsible for deciding to act.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

People doing stupid things is nothing new, no matter how much we want to pretend otherwise, and no matter how many people are whispering in your ear, you're still the one who's responsible for deciding to act.

Sure, and then they plead insanity. ;)

Regarding the claim of influencing bad decisions, were they wearing Nikes?  Came across this doofus, taking his pickup through some mud.  Apparently he is a You Tube star, I heard another "star" (he is really hyper in presentation, bought a trashed Bugatti....) talking about making $2M with his channel, so the fine is easily payable if this doofus is as popular.

The Drive: Ram TRX-Jumping YouTuber Ordered to Pay $53,000 for Driving Through Creek