Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Studebaker funny car

Rodney....had no idea you built great drag models, too.  Love that interior paneling you scratched together, and the paint scheme....so creative!   

Got two '53 Stude Boyd drag projects to share too.  These were both started in the very late 1960's when Car Model magazine sent a letter to the winners of the Dodge/Car Model/MPC funny car contest asking them (us) to consider writing articles for the mag.  Of course, this then-14 year old modeler had no way to take pictures of these "how-to" builds, but...

This one was the AMT '53 Stude body, chopped, combined with the Revell Miss Deal chassis.  Lotsa "lightening holes" drilled in the frame with a Dremel Moto Tool  without a speed control (fun, that!).  Circa summer, 1969 (ish)....

DSC 0752 Anyway, after decades in a box at 25% completion, I went ahead and finished it (without redoing work already done) around 2012 or so.  It was later a feature article in Model Cars mag.... DSC 0282

DSC 0291

The other model, started at the same time back in '69, was the Revell Miss Deal body over a scratchbuilt frame with the AMT Double Dragster side-by-side dual engine setup under the rear window.  It was to have used two Studebaker V8 's i/l/o the SBC's.  This one still sits in a box, at about 20% completion.  Maybe someday?  DSC 0757

Anyway, will be watching yours cross the timing lights in full glory with the laundry unfolding! 

Great enthusiasm on display in your project (and the ones shown by others in this tread, too!) 

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

So, my fellow drag racing enthusiasts. Does anyone know what letter class designation this car would be considered by NHRA or other sanctioning organization?

Getting ready to decal and am wondering....thanks.

-RRR

I'm thinking it would be AA/FD. I researched it a bit and found that these were match racers from the 60's. It's a dragster with a body on it.  A extreme funny car is what they called it. C/A for competition altered is also mentioned.

Here is a link to Mr. Unswitchable............     Dick Jesse's Mr. Unswitchable Extreme Slant-Roof GTO Funny Car (vintage-nitro.com 

I'm sure you know there is a model of this car also.  

Edited by Speedpro

6 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

So, my fellow drag racing enthusiasts. Does anyone know what letter class designation this car would be considered by NHRA or other sanctioning organization?

Getting ready to decal and am wondering....thanks.

-RRR

It doesn't really fit in any current NHRA class except for maybe Competition Eliminator. In nostalgia racing such as the Good-Guys series it would probably be Nostalgia Eliminator 1.

17 hours ago, Speedpro said:

I'm thinking it would be AA/FD. I researched it a bit and found that these were match racers from the 60's. It's a dragster with a body on it.  A extreme funny car is what they called it. C/A for competition altered is also mentioned.

Here is a link to Mr. Unswitchable............     Dick Jesse's Mr. Unswitchable Extreme Slant-Roof GTO Funny Car (vintage-nitro.com 

I'm sure you know there is a model of this car also.  

Maybe I'll go with the C/A designation? -RRR

35 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

stude.jpg.533b910948f4d82f1caf49d76df95642.jpg

Since we are all sharing... here's my 53 Stude Miss Deal Funny Car...  when I first posted it on boards there was one guy who decided to chastise me... "Don't you know anything? Funny cars are fiberglass and don't rust!"   😅

Nice! it's a vintage funny car that would be 'real' steel factory body.....there I fixed it for you. -RRR

On 10/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Nice! it's a vintage funny car that would be 'real' steel factory body.....there I fixed it for you. -RRR

OR a Nostalgic Racer with a fiberglass body either wrapped or painted weathering!   😅

Funny thing... that comment led me to build my rusty Corvette.  I've had a lot of fun with that one!

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 10/12/2021 at 9:21 AM, tim boyd said:

Rodney....had no idea you built great drag models, too.  Love that interior paneling you scratched together, and the paint scheme....so creative!   

Got two '53 Stude Boyd drag projects to share too.  These were both started in the very late 1960's when Car Model magazine sent a letter to the winners of the Dodge/Car Model/MPC funny car contest asking them (us) to consider writing articles for the mag.  Of course, this then-14 year old modeler had no way to take pictures of these "how-to" builds, but...

This one was the AMT '53 Stude body, chopped, combined with the Revell Miss Deal chassis.  Lotsa "lightening holes" drilled in the frame with a Dremel Moto Tool  without a speed control (fun, that!).  Circa summer, 1969 (ish)....

DSC 0752 Anyway, after decades in a box at 25% completion, I went ahead and finished it (without redoing work already done) around 2012 or so.  It was later a feature article in Model Cars mag.... DSC 0282

DSC 0291

The other model, started at the same time back in '69, was the Revell Miss Deal body over a scratchbuilt frame with the AMT Double Dragster side-by-side dual engine setup under the rear window.  It was to have used two Studebaker V8 's i/l/o the SBC's.  This one still sits in a box, at about 20% completion.  Maybe someday?  DSC 0757

Anyway, will be watching yours cross the timing lights in full glory with the laundry unfolding! 

Great enthusiasm on display in your project (and the ones shown by others in this tread, too!) 

TIM 

finish this please!