Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazmanian '63 Corvette Stingray

Phildaupho

2v2awjJRrximYT.jpg

On the cover of the May 1963 issue of Rod & Custom magazine was Big John Mazmanian’s Candy Apple Red 1963 Corvette Stingray Split Window Coupe. Almost new it was mildly customized. In addition to the paint job, the front bumpers and most emblems were removed, two additional taillights added, the interior was reupholstered and it rode on polished Torque-Thrusts. I have not been able to find out what became of this car and other than the color R&C cover there is only one black & white photo I came across on-line. I do have a copy of the May 1963 R&C for remembrance and reference.

2v2awj9gjximYT.jpg

This has always been a car on my to build a model of list. Having just completed the Mazmanian Willys the time was right to finally build this Corvette. I still had a couple of AMT ’63 Vettes in my stash but I had been saving a Revell snap kit specifically for this project. My modification followed the Mazmanian formula. The two additional taillights are aluminum tube housings with AMT lenses. The front grill is made from Evergreen styrene strips chromed with Bare Metal Foil. The outside door handles were opened up.

2v2awjJAMximYT.jpg2v2awjJMUximYT.jpg

Here is the Stingray  with two other Mazmanian cars. The '61 Corvette was built 16 years ago with a body combining the front of a Revell '58 Corvette and the back of an AMT '62 Corvette. The Willys was recently completed and is pretty much box stock.

2v2awjJBzximYT.jpg

• Like 5

Not sure if the car on the magazine cover and the '63 Corvette that he converted into a race car are one in the same, but he did campaign an A/Gas '63 Corvette in his signature Candy Red about that time. Great looking '61 Corvette and Willys.   

1 hour ago, espo said:

Not sure if the car on the magazine cover and the '63 Corvette that he converted into a race car are one in the same, but he did campaign an A/Gas '63 Corvette in his signature Candy Red about that time. Great looking '61 Corvette and Willys.   

I have not been able to track down any info on what became of the 63 after it appeared in Rod & Custom

45 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

All 3 look terrific.

Thanks Bob

1 hour ago, espo said:

46 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Those all 3 look super nice.  What a great trio.  Very nicely done.

Thanks Jim

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Great subject and a real nice model on it. Well done and model on! B)

14 hours ago, Danno said:

Outstanding trio!

11 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Beautiful Corvette, Phil! The candy paint looks awesome and it’s customized just enough to be noticeable without being overdone. 

1 hour ago, Intmd8r said:

Very nice - love the paint!

Thanks guys. All these cars made a real impression on me as a kid so for me they were must builds. Maybe that's why Candy Apple Red cars were always amongst my favorites at car shows. My next project involves attempting a House of Kolor Candy Apple Red paint job.

On 8/26/2021 at 9:42 PM, slusher said:

Absolutely stunning Corvette!

On 8/26/2021 at 11:28 PM, Venom said:

Wow Phil, that Stingray is very nice with that gorgeous red paint job, and seeing the three side by side in that same color is stunning!🤠👍

On 8/27/2021 at 5:54 AM, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

On 8/27/2021 at 6:47 AM, Classicgas said:

All three are well done. Which 63 Corvette kit is that?

It is the Revell Curbside Snap kit

On 8/27/2021 at 7:42 AM, spencer1984 said:

Awesome work, that's a great looking trio!

On 8/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, m3fan said:

Looks real nice Phil!

If the gathering at Gord's happens there will be lots of models to show off maybe even have to bring out the flashlights to make sure we see them all:)

I sure hope it will happen

On 8/27/2021 at 2:25 PM, larman said:

Beautiful paint and workmanship! A fantastic build, as well as the other 2 in the collection!They look great together.

On 8/28/2021 at 4:56 AM, PappyD340 said:

Beautifully done!

On 8/28/2021 at 4:58 AM, David G. said:

Beautiful work on all three, museum quality!

David G.

Thanks everybody There is a comparison of the 63 Stingray and new version in the Current Road & Track