Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shizuoka Fall 2021

BVC500

TamiyaBlog reports that the upcoming fall Shizuoka show (Sept. 9-12) has been cancelled, but the kit announcements will continue online.  I wonder what Tamiya has in store. I hope they take advantage of the increased interest in the hobby due to the pandemic and announce a new 1/24 car kit. 

Shall we begin the prediction game? This thread can also serve to discuss announcements from others manufacturers as they come in.

Edited by BVC500

I think the new Nissan Z is a little too new for a kit, but I think Tamiya will do that one eventually.

A modern Porsche would be great to see. I'd be all over one of those.

Blow some minds with a C8 Corvette.

It would be interesting to see them do a new Ford Bronco.

Personally, I would love to see some reissues of their old racing kits. The Mercedes DTM cars, the Volvo BTCC cars, etc.

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain Tamiya's big news will either be 1/48th prop air or 1/35th armor. Their all-new F-4B Phantom II has been a huge success this year and last year's P-38 Lightning equally so. Likewise on the armor side their latest Panzer IV's have been flying off shelves. If they do anything auto, I'm willing to bet it will be some form of safe GT3 companion for the highly successful AMG GT. I would probably lean to the NSX GT3 for that since Aoshima has the Lamborghini license buttoned up and there's very little likelihood of a new Ferrari 488 GT3 kit. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BVC500 said:

TamiyaBlog reports that the upcoming fall Shizuoka show (Sept. 9-12) has been cancelled, but the kit announcements will continue online.  I wonder what Tamiya has in store. I hope they take advantage of the increased interest in the hobby due to the pandemic and announce a new 1/24 car kit. 

Shall we begin the prediction game? This thread can also serve to discuss announcements from others manufacturers as they come in.

Minor correction - the Fall show in Japan is the All Japan Model & Hobby Show held in Tokyo.  Shizouka happens once a year in the Spring.

Well there hasn't been a second kit from the BMW Supra, Ford GT, or Mustang GT4.  So minor revision to any of those are easy possibilities since Tamiya always does two versions of every kit they tool - even if the 2nd version is a clear body, or molded in Yellow like a lot of the Ferraris were over their live spans.  They are doing R/Cs of the new BRZ/86 so it would not at all surprise me to see one of those, or the New Z as even though the car was just unveiled last week they're clearly working very closely with Nissan with the new kit of the Fairlady just being released as well.  I would not be gobsmacked if Tamiya - maybe in the Spring of 2022 - does the new Toyota Hyper Le Mans car since it won the 24hrs again this year, although that might depend on how two effectively identical TS-050s sold in their releases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

I think the new Nissan Z is a little too new for a kit, but I think Tamiya will do that one eventually.

A modern Porsche would be great to see. I'd be all over one of those.

Blow some minds with a C8 Corvette.

It would be interesting to see them do a new Ford Bronco.

Personally, I would love to see some reissues of their old racing kits. The Mercedes DTM cars, the Volvo BTCC cars, etc.

I would love to see Meng make the new Bronco since their other 4x4 kits are amazing, but I have no idea if they are planning to do any more civilian vehicle kits.

Edited by Jordan White

I would love to see a C8 Corvette be introduced, along with the recent 911 GT3 car and some other racers. I keep hoping Tamiya will go back and revisit their vintage sports car line, now that the 300SL and Fairlady are in the line-up. A Volvo P1800E, Saab 850 Monte Carlo, or a Mk.I Lotus-Cortina would be welcome.

I know I mentioned it above, but realistically I don't think a C8 Corvette would ever happen. To my knowledge, Tamiya have never had a license to build GM product. Can't imagine they would suddenly do it now.

A Mustang variant was brought up by someone else, and I think that is a real possibility. Maybe a different livery, or possibly a street version.

Seeing as how they have a Ford license, as seen with the recent GT kit and the Mustang GT4; and considering that they have made SUV kits in the past, I think a Bronco could be within the realm of possibility.  

Really though, I think any new subject would most likely be of a Japanese vehicle, a Porsche, or a Ferrari.

5 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

Perhaps a Oreca Gibson, Tamiya sponsored team #82:

b8f29096a7e44a7387279c8b1e076c0a.jpeg

It was sponsored by one of Tamiya's European Distributors (of which there are many - there's no centralized office over there anymore like we have in California), not the home office in Japan.

What I would love to see from Tamiya is another new tool in the classic sports car line. When the 300SL came out I was rooting for an E-Type Jaaaag. Since the Revell kit was issued I'm guessing that won't happen. But something British, classic and around the same period from a manufacturer that Tamiya has licensing for would be nice... maybe an Aston Martin DB5?

8 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I know I mentioned it above, but realistically I don't think a C8 Corvette would ever happen. To my knowledge, Tamiya have never had a license to build GM product. Can't imagine they would suddenly do it now.

A Mustang variant was brought up by someone else, and I think that is a real possibility. Maybe a different livery, or possibly a street version.

Seeing as how they have a Ford license, as seen with the recent GT kit and the Mustang GT4; and considering that they have made SUV kits in the past, I think a Bronco could be within the realm of possibility.  

Really though, I think any new subject would most likely be of a Japanese vehicle, a Porsche, or a Ferrari.

Hard to say. Up to now, how many Mustangs has Tamiya done in the past?   I would say, if ever there was a GM product that hit all the right Tamiya buttons, the C8 would be it.

• Like 1

My prediction would be the 86 & BRZ, followed closely by the new Nissan Z, as Tamiya has done most previous Z cars. 

If anything Porsche related comes out, it’s probably going to be from Revell as they seem to be releasing new moulds of Porsche lately.

Ben

8 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

What I would love to see from Tamiya is another new tool in the classic sports car line. When the 300SL came out I was rooting for an E-Type Jaaaag. Since the Revell kit was issued I'm guessing that won't happen. But something British, classic and around the same period from a manufacturer that Tamiya has licensing for would be nice... maybe an Aston Martin DB5?

That would be great. And reissue the DBS while they are at it.

Edited by dbostream

I'm actually most curious to see what Aoshima, Ebbro, and Hasegawa announce for this year. The follow up to the Pagani Zonda ought to be something exciting to see, more news on the Ebbro Lotus 33 will be great, and Hasegawa continuing their series of touring/street car kits replacing old Tamiya tooling (R32 GTR, MkIII Supra) will be exciting and hopefully include a Z32 or Z31 Nissan 300ZX. 

9 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Hard to say. Up to now, how many Mustangs has Tamiya done in the past?   I would say, if ever there was a GM product that hit all the right Tamiya buttons, the C8 would be it.

They've done a few.

Cobra R

GT Convertible

GT4

Mustang Probe GTR (technically a Mustang, kind of)

Plus the RC stuff.

So there is some precedent there.

I do think the C8 would be a perfect fit for Tamiya, but having never done a GM product (other than Vauxhall or Opel DTM cars) I'm not sure they would start now. Although, I think I read that they did re-issue one of the Opel kits as an RC car this year. 

Hmm...

8 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

So making a GM product would not be unprecedented.

Not unprecedented, but not especially lucrative in their primary markets either. Given that they have the McLaren license, that the Senna was a big success, and that F1 superstar and Honda golden-boy Jenson Button races one, a McLaren 720GT3 makes a whole lot more sense.