Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 to goes live Sept 2 1:00 pm Pacific

Mr mopar

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

It was mentioned in the video that Round 2 was unable to acquire the wood master so this is apparently new tooling from scratch.  

"Unable to reach an agreement with"...not sure how that would have worked out since I doubt anyone at Round2 knows how to work a pantograph, nor wants to learn, but it's probably best they decided to start from scratch. It sounded like there'd be at least four or five movable parts (hinged rear compactor, ram plate/sled inside the body, movable hydraulic cylinders), a new fuel tank, and all-new Budd style wheels (I couldn't tell of the rears were Budds, too. or not), so a fairly healthy investment in the Ford C-series...series. Very cool to see this finally come to fruition, though not exactly as designed by AMT in the '70s, which is fine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

"Unable to reach an agreement with"...not sure how that would have worked out since I doubt anyone at Round2 knows how to work a pantograph, nor wants to learn, but it's probably best they decided to start from scratch.  Very cool to see this finally come to fruition, though not exactly as designed by AMT in the '70s, which is fine.

That's not actually entirely correct, as Round 2 personnel did have several discussions with Mr. Rice about acquiring or borrowing the 1/10th scale masters.  Last I heard, which was probably a year ago or longer, they had not been able to settle on a mutually agreeable proposal.  Which is why I was surprised to see news of the new product. 

So, I will presume the "start from scratch" approach is indeed what is happening.    

Thx all for the update....TIM 

As far as T.V./Movie Cars goes, so many could be considered glaringly absent in kit form, but the Griswold Family Truckster gets my vote. Using existing kits with small tweaks and or decals could produce Herbie, Rockford's Firebird, and Wayne's World's Pacer, just to name a quick few. Completely new tooling could produce the previously mentioned Black Beauty, Blues Brothers Cop Car, and my initial thought of the Griswold Family Truckster, again just naming a few there. If one looks at movie and t.v. car possibilities though, one's head could spin pretty quickly. What seems completely obvious to one person could be an absolute afterthought to another. A quick Google search brings up the unlikely possibility of the Mad Max Interceptor.

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

One thing the Blues Brothers Monaco has going for it is tooling up a '74 Dodge Monaco lends it self to multiple versions...can do a BB car, a BB Chicago police car, other police cars, a plain Monaco, etc..as we have seen Greenlight do with their Monaco diecast in multiple scales. 

Some other tv/movie cars would be one-version only tools, like the Griswold Family Truckster.. 

• Like 1

Looking at the round 2 website, the only entertainment property’s they have the rights to that involve cars are the blue brothers, WB, the Green Hornet, and 007. They have the rights from Dodge, so the blues mobile seems like a likely candidate, they also have Aston Martin rights, so a DB5 isn’t a crazy thought. I don’t see the Green Hornet being popular enough for an all new 1:25 scale kit. The car from the New Batman is a big possibility as well since it’s under the WB umbrella, 

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Hey, I remember back when people wondered what Round 2 would do when they ran out of easy to fix tools...  

Dig deep and make a major investment in the tougher ones!  And that's just what they're doing!

Californian resto of the old tool is neat. 

59 Caddy ambulance surf wagon is creative.  He said they are working on a full stock ambulance from it too!

62 Chevy Nova wagon with 2 engines and trailer is nothing to complain about either!

And the Garwood garbage truck is super cool!  Talk about rewriting history!   

TV and Movie car that's missing... this should be fun!  

I cannot fault them.  Play on!

Let the whining begin!   

I agree Tom.  I do believe we will see more old tools repaired..

2 hours ago, gasman said:

Looking at the round 2 website, the only entertainment property’s they have the rights to that involve cars are the blue brothers, WB, the Green Hornet, and 007. They have the rights from Dodge, so the blues mobile seems like a likely candidate, they also have Aston Martin rights, so a DB5 isn’t a crazy thought. I don’t see the Green Hornet being popular enough for an all new 1:25 scale kit. The car from the New Batman is a big possibility as well since it’s under the WB umbrella, 

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

One thing the Blues Brothers Monaco has going for it is tooling up a '74 Dodge Monaco lends it self to multiple versions...can do a BB car, a BB Chicago police car, other police cars, a plain Monaco, etc..as we have seen Greenlight do with their Monaco diecast in multiple scales. 

Some other tv/movie cars would be one-version only tools, like the Griswold Family Truckster.. 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

"Unable to reach an agreement with"...not sure how that would have worked out since I doubt anyone at Round2 knows how to work a pantograph, nor wants to learn, but it's probably best they decided to start from scratch. It sounded like there'd be at least four or five movable parts (hinged rear compactor, ram plate/sled inside the body, movable hydraulic cylinders), a new fuel tank, and all-new Budd style wheels (I couldn't tell of the rears were Budds, too. or not), so a fairly healthy investment in the Ford C-series...series. Very cool to see this finally come to fruition, though not exactly as designed by AMT in the '70s, which is fine.

They also have the CHP licensing, so a California Highway Patrol cruiser would be possible.

So indeed not a "one trick pony"

For current cars; I'm thinking current Shelby Mustang, no clue bout the second one, haven't been in the US lately, so kinda hard to grasp what's hot in your neck of the woods, guys.

On to the Garbage body; Bold, cool, but IMHO also kind of a risky move, but since it's all new and not based on '70s technology with the I guess the limitations of the wooden pattern model and the more "toy status" of the hobby at the time, I can't wait to be able to tear the shrink-wrap off a copy...

About not able to use the Pantograph; not really necessary cus the parts would be scanned.

Edited by Luc Janssens

35 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

For current cars; I'm thinking current Shelby Mustang, no clue bout the second one, haven't been in the US lately, so kinda hard to grasp what's hot in your neck of the woods, guys.

Dodge keeps selling more Challengers of all types, and the Hellcat versions and their derivatives would definitely be a candidate for a full detail kit.  Despite their cost, I see a surprising number on the roads in my area.

The Raptor-killer Ram TRX (also Hellcat-powered) would also be a worthy subject.

• Like 1

Well...was anyone as underwhelmed as was I?

You know there's a problem when your on-camera spokesman and his off camera helper say that neither of them knows anything about their lead off product The Californian.  

Edited by showrods
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, showrods said:

You know there's a problem when your on-camera spokesman and his off camera helper say that neither of them knows anything about their lead off product The Californian.  

The production seemed very amateurish and quickly hacked together..and the talking head said he wasn't a car guy and that sci-fi was his thing. 

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

This makes the most sense with the ability to create multiple versions with minimal investment. I know that wagon kits have become more popular but the GFT seems unlikely. Others have mentioned Jim Rockford's Firebird but I think those tools have been modified to the point of not being able to be used, but I would welcome a new set of mid-70's F body kits!

27 minutes ago, showrods said:

Yeah, me two. We already knew about the wagon. The Californian would have to be free for me to take one. I have a feeling that one will be Ollies fodder soon. Why couldn't they have fixed the '72 Gran Prix or just added the stock parts? 

23 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The production seemed very amateurish and quickly hacked together..and the talking head said he wasn't a car guy and that sci-fi was his thing. 

Agreed.  Some research and a few dry runs should have been in order.  

They made it look as if, in the case of the Californian, they're just throwing an unknown substance at the wall to see whether or not it sticks.

It makes me wonder who gave the go ahead to allow this to air.

1 hour ago, showrods said:

It was about what I expected, based on the previous teaser video Round2 released. We're fortunate that there are two Round2 employees/consultants here on the forum, so we are usually far ahead of the curve regarding what new compared to the general public.

10 hours ago, asterisk said:

The Budd wheels on the garbage truck would make a great accessory parts pack. Plenty of folks would rather use those than the cast spoke wheels in so many of the old truck kits.

I would bet that's exactly what will happen.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I did some quick screen captures of what was presented.  This is coming oon.  There are several references to items in the loop but no specifics other than a movie car and two current showroom vehicles (let the speculations begin).

Yes, the MPC Californian is being reissued.  
Already discussed 63 Chevy 2 Nova Wagon with details is coming soon
Remake of Ghostbusters Cadillac into a Surf Caddy
Working parts Trash Truck announced

Screenshot 2021-09-02 132209.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-02 132247.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-02 132226.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-02 132236.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-02 132257.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-02 132307.jpg

The last time the Californian kit was issued, the Beatles were still performing live.  Underneath that love it or hate it Harry Bradley designed body is basically a stock MPC 1968 Oldsmobile Toronado kit.   

The Surf Shark Caddy now gives us a stock '59 Miller Meteor Combination body to work with. Those Safe-T-Vu roof lamps have never been done in scale before.  Jamie hinted that there's another version coming.  This kit is based on AMT's Ecto-1A which still leaves the Polar Lights Ecto-1 in the tooling bank.   

-Steve

Ohhhhh. The Bluesmobile would be a monster and should be a no-brainer. Besides all the spin-offs mentioned above (and Hill Street Blues patrol car), it would be a good basis for the real groly hail of mine . . . the Walking Tall (original series of movies) 1972 Dodge Polara sedans.  Again, many derivative spin-offs available for that one without them being straight repackages. 

Bring it on, R2!!  I'm saving up for a full-on bank account deep dive!

1972 Dodge Polara

• Like 1

2 hours ago, showrods said:

Without a doubt. Round 2 had an opportunity to do a proper product rollout here but all they managed to do was restate product news that was already out among the public. Couple that with a lack of any sort of production or presentation (their camera couldn't even focus ON fine details to demonstrate the quality of engraved detail on the Razor Crest test shot) and it's absurd. Compare it to AK Interactive's channel for their products and you'll see just how miserably behind the times Round 2 really is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Justin Porter said:

Without a doubt. Round 2 had an opportunity to do a proper product rollout here but all they managed to do was restate product news that was already out among the public. Couple that with a lack of any sort of production or presentation (their camera couldn't even focus ON fine details to demonstrate the quality of engraved detail on the Razor Crest test shot) and it's absurd. Compare it to AK Interactive's channel for their products and you'll see just how miserably behind the times Round 2 really is.

Well to be fair I'd prefer Round2 not invoke the Holocaust and Concentration Camps in media to advertise their products the way AK Interactive did...so maybe not so cutting edge as they have been.