Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fiat Mfistofele

I started this monster. Now waiting on all the paint, brass rods, photoetch stuff. I'm going to use allclad  metal paste. I hit some of the black parts with Testors enamel as its has the same consistancy as the glop they put on cars back then. Nothing was sprayed in those days , all hand painted. Then I read about the Allclad stuff so I'll give that a try. Oh and waiting on the super expensive bolts to replace all these screws. Then have to figure out to recreate T compression fittings for the plumbing..

fiat frame 1.jpg

fiat frame 2.jpg

4_zpsif3hfxtd.jpg

Fg3iqDa6Seq9ijVdPpPPhA.jpg

Fiat Mefistofele.jpg

fiat 827 1.jpg

fiat 827 2.jpg

fiat 827 3.jpg

Edited by Kingslug
  • Like 1

Looks good so far! I started mine a few weeks ago, and have been accumulating pics for a first WIP post. It's a decent kit that is an excellent basis for whatever additional detail you want to throw at it. I've been having fun replacing all the plastic "wood" with the real thing, correcting the seat upholstery, drilling and adding rivets, etc. I like your use of gloppy Testors enamel for the chassis... I came up with a different solution. I also ordered a piece of thin (.6mm) lambskin to replace the pathetic fake "leather" Italeri includes for the bonnet straps. I'll see how it does once I get it. PM me if you want a piece for your straps... I'll have more than enough to spare. 

Ordered more bolts and banjo fittings from RB Motion..still waiting on the metal pastes from AK interactive..so "m stalled at this point..but I could start on some other areas like the wheels or the wood parts. And I have to wrap the springs. 

If you do buy one and want to improve it..buy stuff before you start. Bolts to replace the screws is the most important..and photetched bolt heads, fittings for the motor..and a lot of good metallic paint. You don't need a lot of colors for this but the body is interesting..It was painted many times..with a brush. A lot of shades of red..even though the original car was black..which you could do..that one had 2 seats. I printed about 60 pictures..I think all that could be found . The directions for some things are totally wrong. The suspension is shown as backwards with the springs in the back the wrong way. 

The bolts came in so I started back on the suspension..wrapped the springs, added the bolts, weathered. The bolts make such a difference. expensive but I just can't see using screws. And the nuts I have from my eyeglass repair batch fit perfectly..A bit big but covered in paint you wont notice.

fiat 93 1.jpg

fiat 93 2.jpg

fiat 93 3.jpg

fiat 93 4.jpg

Edited by Kingslug

Did you start the motor yet? Putting the barrels on the block is a pain. They want you to cut 3mm tubes to fit between them..but thats too big and it makes the barrells lean over..was a nightmare getting it right..I had to get rid of the tubing and just cement the nubs together..no one will see it. I also read that at some point its easier to put the motor in the frame and finish it that way..strengthens up the frame and makes it less likely to damage the fiddly bits on the motor..

2 hours ago, Kingslug said:

Did you start the motor yet? Putting the barrels on the block is a pain. They want you to cut 3mm tubes to fit between them..but thats too big and it makes the barrells lean over..was a nightmare getting it right..I had to get rid of the tubing and just cement the nubs together..no one will see it. I also read that at some point its easier to put the motor in the frame and finish it that way..strengthens up the frame and makes it less likely to damage the fiddly bits on the motor..

I'm in the process of cleaning up and mounting the motor parts for airbrushing right now. I'm debating how much of the motor to finish up before installing it in the chassis... probably going to install the ignition wiring but hold off on the tubing for the fuel system. 

I'm using the AK interactive glop for brass, aluminum and steel...interesting stuff..not paint but a pigmented wax..goes on very smooth and a little goes a long way. Only thing is  you can't use regular panel line accent on it..it will eat it..so "im going to make some from oil paints I have..the stuff also can be mixed with oil paints..I'll use that to dirty up the motor as this motor spews as much oil as it burns. 

Not much but it took an hour to get these tiny PE bolts in place..makes a big difference..color is by AK True Metal..a wash will come later to dirty them up

Good thing I have a lot of good pics of the real thing

P1000619.JPG

P1000620.JPG

P1000621.JPG

P1000622.JPG

P1000623.JPG

P1000626.JPG

Edited by Kingslug

That looks fantastic! I might add some bolt detail to the tops of the lifters as well. It's pretty noticeable, and I have some PE bolt heads somewhere. I also owe you thanks... after looking at your finished chassis I realized I had the front shackles on the rear springs on my build flipped so the spring was under the shackle. It's the right way around now. I see you decided to keep going on the engine, I've gotten mine started and agree that the cylinder barrels aren't a lot of fun to install. I used Micro Kristal Klear so I was able to reposition them and make sure they were lined up correctly. Any idea how you're going to tackle the tricky finish and "patches" on the intake manifolds? 

I saw a build diary about that. He simulated the soldering with putty I believe then used copper foil..I've been using the AK metal paste and i like the way it looks..its just not very durable if you handle it too much. So far I've been adding all the little bolt heads to the rocker heads and some other parts..but my internet cables got ripped down and are all over my driveway..so no pics. The hardest thing will be the springs. I'm going to use lead wire and wrap it around a tube cut exactly to size..then cement it to the valves..then cement the rocker cover and camshaft on top of them..going to use JB weld so I have lots of time to line it all up. Theres a whole build diary on that..i'll see if i can find it..I printed it up. 

Regarding miniature Bolts, Nuts and Screws, think laterally and look to our Model Railway (Railroad) brethren.

They have good suppliers of such items as it has to be remembered that all their scale stuff is intended for models that actually work, so quality and strength are the norm for them. Possibly prices may be more competitive when compared with after market stuff aimed at car modellers.