Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you do with your built kits?

Just curious as to what you guys do with your built models. The reason I ask is I'm running out of room to store them, but I enjoy the hobby so much I don't want to just give it up because I have nowhere to put them. Do built kits sell well on ebay, if at all? How many kits can you palm off to family before they sit you down for a "quiet talk" about your problem? Lol! Do I need to buy a garden shed? xD

I have a bedroom that serves as my building & display area. I have two large and one shorter book cases that I have my built models displayed on. I'm also running out of room but the problem is I don't want to give up any of them. I know of others that just sell them at swap meets or on E-Bay. I do have several storage boxes filled with models from many years ago and I think I may just put them in Zip Loc plastic baggies sell them next year at the local swap meet.   

2A4453DA-55C8-4DDE-9F3C-FD34086B17A7.jpeg.2c81b14ad2a6bc0a276caac810e740c7.jpeg

Here’s two of my three display cases. Both were unwanted cabinets I got for free. I added $200 worth of extra shelves, one between each existing shelf.

One suggestion to the folks who build a model a week with no extra detail, is to slow down and add more details. Spend more time in prep, make each model better than the last.  This way you will have less models to display or store, but real jewels!

13F09EEB-3A3C-4799-8BC1-8AC9A67E190A.jpeg.650a7cc91f9dd786ba4e3725fc6854ec.jpeg

Edited by Tom Geiger

I can only display 40 or 50 in my cabinet so the ones I like most go in it and the others that have been it a while already go in their boxes and may end up being used for parts in other builds. As for selling built ups, I assume you mean ebay uk and tbh I wouldnt waste my time trying there as the ones Ive seen sell have 99p starts and people rarely pay more than a tenner unless its a rare kit, and those that put a higher start seem to sit for 6 months before quietly being deleted. There have been a few exceptions to that but I think most sell for parts. Built ups get a lot more on USA ebay

I display mine as well, but here’s an idea so that you can keep enjoying the hobby without filling up your house with models.

Begin concentrating on adding a lot more detail to your projects.

I used to crank out models at a rate of about 1 every month.

Since I began adding a lot more detail, doing a lot more chassis and engine swaps, and doing more interior upgrades and scratch building, my production has slowed to about 1 every six months to a year.

I still get to enjoy the hobby just as much if not more, and I don’t wind up with a ton of stuff that I have to figure out what to do with.

The true joy of modeling is the journey, not so much the end result.

Steve

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

2A4453DA-55C8-4DDE-9F3C-FD34086B17A7.jpeg.2c81b14ad2a6bc0a276caac810e740c7.jpeg

Here’s two of my three display cases. Both were unwanted cabinets I got for free. I added $200 worth of extra shelves, one between each existing shelf.

One suggestion to the folks who build a model a week with no extra detail, is to slow down and add more details. Spend more time in prep, make each model better than the last.  This way you will have less models to display or store, but real jewels!

13F09EEB-3A3C-4799-8BC1-8AC9A67E190A.jpeg.650a7cc91f9dd786ba4e3725fc6854ec.jpeg

You're single aren't you? 😛

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I display mine as well, but here’s an idea so that you can keep enjoying the hobby without filling up your house with models.

Begin concentrating on adding a lot more detail to your projects.

I used to crank out models at a rate of about 1 every month.

Since I began adding a lot more detail, doing a lot more chassis and engine swaps, and doing more interior upgrades and scratch building, my production has slowed to about 1 every six months to a year.

I still get to enjoy the hobby just as much if not more, and I don’t wind up with a ton of stuff that I have to figure out what to do with.

The true joy of modeling is the journey, not so much the end result.

Steve

Exactly.   I usually get no more than 1-3 a year finished. Some I have displayed in different places, some I store in empty kit boxes.

Edited by Classicgas

6 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

yeah, to be honest I couldn't sell them, I'm just scoping the options. More detailed builds is a good tip, it will make for nice long threads in WIP, haha!  I have my attic (loft) I guess, I can store them in storage boxes.

Be careful with storing models in an attic.

It can get hot enough to ruin them pretty easily.

Steve

I am starting to have a room problem also. I have 6 display cabinets in the house that are just about full. I do sell models on the bay if they are not Cobra's which I collect. The others I wait about a month or so and list them. Don't usually make a killing most pretty much enough to get another kit at least and that way I have room to build more. Most sell it the 40 dollar range ( I don't build rare or hard to get stuff plus I'm not that good). Most i ever got was 230.00. Nobody was more surprised than me ! Sometimes when they don't sell, in two weeks I take them down and break them up for parts. I do keep ones I really like.

First, never get rid of models- you will always regret it. A friend of ours rotates her pictures occasionally to refresh her perspective. If you really can't display them all, try rotating them (maybe with a theme) and store the others away carefully, away from heat and at an even temperature and humidity. My wife supports my model building and has no problem dis[laying some in our living room- the rest are on shelves in my model room (she comes from a car enthusiast family- I married well!)

11 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

First, never get rid of models- you will always regret it. A friend of ours rotates her pictures occasionally to refresh her perspective. If you really can't display them all, try rotating them (maybe with a theme) and store the others away carefully, away from heat and at an even temperature and humidity. My wife supports my model building and has no problem dis[laying some in our living room- the rest are on shelves in my model room (she comes from a car enthusiast family- I married well!)

That's good, luckily my girlfriend is a car enthusiast too. She likes her Corvettes and Mustangs, so long as there's at least a couple of those on display she's fine with a cabinete or two in the livingroom. Yes, rotating the inventory to refresh the scene is a good idea. I could probably display all my builds so far, but wouldn't take long before I run out of room in those too! lol

14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Be careful with storing models in an attic.

It can get hot enough to ruin them pretty easily.

Steve

That's why I've been reluctant to put them up there, though there's no water boiler up there and I don't think it gets much warmer than it does in the rest of the house. They're stored in the kitchen at the moment and tempretures can vary in there quite widley too, might actually be better in the attic thinking about it now.

14 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

I do this as well. Swmbo (she who must be obeyed) lets me have a couple shelves in the entertainment center, and a couple in the curio as well. I rotate my models occasionally.

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

That's why I've been reluctant to put them up there, though there's no water boiler up there and I don't think it gets much warmer than it does in the rest of the house. They're stored in the kitchen at the moment and tempretures can vary in there quite widley too, might actually be better in the attic thinking about it now.

Attics get CONSIDERABLY hotter than the rest of the house in the summer. Kitchens don't get nearly as hot unless you put them in the oven.

12 hours ago, Zippi said:

So far I've been wrapping them with a paper towel and putting them back in their box and storing them under the work bench.  Don't know what I'll do when that area gets full.

I don't recommend paper towels. I wrapped some a few years ago, and when I pulled them out the paper had left a lace pattern in the paint. Can't say why, just know it did.

I have a display case in the living room, and two fairly big ones in my hobby room. The one in the living room gets all the recent or favourite builds. I dust it twice a year and rotate the cars for interest. The ones in the hobby room have some die cast cars as well, as I need room I box up more of the die cast cars to make room for my builds.  Oh ya, I’m also a slow builder so I will have room for years to come! Also very thankful to have a lovely wife who supports my hobby and all that goes with it.

1 hour ago, Painted Black said:

I don't recommend paper towels. I wrapped some a few years ago, and when I pulled them out the paper had left a lace pattern in the paint. Can't say why, just know it did.

Yeah, paper towels can stick to items, especially if it's the type with a balm in it. They collect moisture in the air and can stain what's wrapped up under it.