Model Cars Magazine Forum

ECTO-1 to 1959 Miller Meteor "closed side" hearse conversion

SawgrassRaven

Hello friends! My next moonshine diorama will need a hearse. This has been done before, so really nothing new to see, and my skills are far from great in this area; my forte is rust and weathering. Still, I hope you enjoy.

First up, this is the car I'm going for:

1.jpg.0f7bca8e06a24b7f3075c27d7ec78bba.jpg

Marking the usual pieces to be removed and holes to be filled.

3.jpg.545200f81da7cf055cfc150bafe99fe3.jpg

Stuff removed and holes filled with bits of styrene and superglue. Also the side/rear wrap windows filled in with sheet styrene and reinforcement strips on the inside. Sorry there's no pic of this, but it's just strips about 3/16 inch joining the inside plastic to the new sheet's edges.

I plan on opening the rear door, but I'll cut it out later; with it in place it makes a much more rigid body to work on.  :)

5.jpg.00505b23d5fdeb270ead449b7b690a42.jpg

Quick shot of the first primer. This is just plain rattle can primer, but when all this is sorted out to my liking, I'll use Tamiya gray primer and paint.

7.jpg.5f2a1e5180f64308be50fd8b711bb0c6.jpg

Anyway, more to come later. Thanks for looking and ideas, suggestions and opinions more than welcome! I want to learn as much as I can. :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slusher said:

I like your project. My dad was from Kentucky and I remember him telling me about the moonshiners

Thanks! I have kin that ran lightning in Lebanon, Virginia. I remember seeing the stills and cars, an this was late 70's. :)

It continues to this day in some form.

Great work so far!

I've been working on one of these off and on for a few years now. I'm using a Monogram 59 Cadillac convertible as a donor so I can put a full chassis under it.

It's quite a lot of work.

What are your plans for the interior on yours?

David G.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:15 AM, David G. said:

Great work so far!

I've been working on one of these off and on for a few years now. I'm using a Monogram 59 Cadillac convertible as a donor so I can put a full chassis under it.

It's quite a lot of work.

What are your plans for the interior on yours?

David G.

I plan to use the El Dorado kit and make the interior and engine, too, if I can.