Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kurt Busch's next Gen Car - Notice where the number is !

Vietnam Vet67

28 minutes ago, Danno said:

What difference does it really make?  

As long as the number is readily readable.

Moving it either forward or rearward provides a larger, uninterrupted 'billboard' for $pon$or$ money.

With transponders we do not need numbers on cars at all. As I said....tradition is the only reason to have them. I have been in the biz of NASCAR hobby items. We held licenses for some big names. When we made an item we would run thousands of each. Today the Woods Bros said if they can not get more than the 100 orders for a die cast it will not be made. 

So have all the 'changes' most in favor of sponsors and NASCAR itself expanded the sport??? So losing one more tradition will help it?  

Good points (particularly regarding transponders), but the fans NEED the numbers. The cars all look alike and the driver names are too tiny to see/read in televised race coverage . . . but looking for their drivers' big ole numbers on the cars, yeah.  Even the broadcasters have trouble, often referring just to "the 19 car" instead of saying "Martin Truex" [granted, not so much the big time drivers, but certainly the 2nd/3rd tier drivers and part-time drivers and substitute drivers, etc., etc.].

Just my quick 2cents worth - FWIW.

As a designer it gives a larger area for product or sponsor identification. I believe that the change should not be made at this time. I think the Next Gen cars need to get on the track and get fan support before such a large visual change. There are too many changes already that the hardcore fan will object to (a center lug nut versus five, etc.). This will give fans another thing to say they don't like. I believe it looks too much like many international series.

If it were me, if the decision was made to move the numbers I'd go halfway between what I've seen and the current positioning. That would give more sponsor billboard without being very noticeable to the average fan.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:56 AM, espo said:

Sometimes they make changes just to make changes and not always improvements.   

Been a die hard fan my whole life (77 years) and worked for Dodge Motorsports for 41 years doing race engine development for NASCAR, NHRA etc.

Love all the changes over the years...................keeps the sport fresh and up to date.

Can't live in the past forever.

Don't miss the winner of a race having a 1 or 2 or even a 3 lap lead at the end like it used to be sometimes back in the 1960's and 1970's.

47 minutes ago, iBorg said:

As a designer it gives a larger area for product or sponsor identification. I believe that the change should not be made at this time. I think the Next Gen cars need to get on the track and get fan support before such a large visual change. There are too many changes already that the hardcore fan will object to (a center lug nut versus five, etc.). This will give fans another thing to say they don't like. I believe it looks too much like many international series.

If it were me, if the decision was made to move the numbers I'd go halfway between what I've seen and the current positioning. That would give more sponsor billboard without being very noticeable to the average fan.

Number position is such a small part of the 2022 changes!!!!

The 2022 Cup cars are about 99.9 % a SCCA Trans Am car.  IRS, transmission in rear, Composite body, big alloy wheels with single lug, etc etc. Come on guys....it's a Trans Am car!!! I LOVE Trans Am......but Cup ain't T/A!! NASCAR is searching for a formula that will get the sport back to 50% of the fan base from the 1980=90's era. I am not sure this is the fix....but I ain't in charge. FYI SCCA Trans Am had ONE race on TV this year......like I said I like the series....but most of America must not. 

• 1 month later...

I like the new rules package because it is going to be like a reset. No one will have notes on these cars, and no one will have reams of information to refer to. That means a small one or two car team may stand a chance at least next year. I am sure after that the big teams will now have a lot of information to refer to, and will probably go back to the old ways. I love the single lug, welcome to the Twentieth Century only many years too late. A giant leap for safety, and no more stupid suspending a crew chief for a missing lug nut. 

Just remember, tradition is really nothing more than peer pressure from dead people. It is OK to move on and shake things up a bit.

29 minutes ago, r60man said:

I love the single lug, welcome to the Twentieth Century only many years too late.

I respectfully disagree.  I have no problem with independent rears or composite bodies, but I think the move to a single lug nut is a mistake.  The action in the pits is a big part of the overall team strategy.  Where is there a car sold with a single lug nut?

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, bbowser said:

I respectfully disagree.  I have no problem with independent rears or composite bodies, but I think the move to a single lug nut is a mistake.  The action in the pits is a big part of the overall team strategy.  Where is there a car sold with a single lug nut?

2003 Porsche Carrera GT

Porsche 911 - various models for at least the last 10 years

British cars in the 50s with wire wheels

McLaren Senna

1963 Corvette

Not common by any means, as for road cars they really make no sense due to the tools required and the torque involved to properly tighten them.

For racecars though, these have less parts, and should speed up pit times.

I find it amusing how upset people are with these new Nascars. The number of lugs holding the wheels on will not change the racing action. Neither will moving the car number a few inches forward. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 9:00 AM, iamsuperdan said:

I find it amusing how upset people are with these new Nascars. The number of lugs holding the wheels on will not change the racing action. Neither will moving the car number a few inches forward. 

I think it’s more of a matter of tradition. Things like 5 lug wheels, live rear ends, and numbers centered on the doors have all been hallmarks of previous cars, and are some of the few things that have remained constant within the sport. It’s the equivalent of MLB changing the color of official game balls to be fluorescent orange and letting teams use aluminum bats. Sure the ball would be easier to see and the batters could hit the ball further, but it’s just not the same to many people.

With stock cars becoming less stock with each redesign, traditional features such as those listed are becoming the only thing about the cars that some fans can relate to.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1