Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Ford custom 300 pics needed.

I'm building a 63 Mel Burns Ford Custom 300 drag car, and pics are pretty scarce. If someone has any additional pics of this car, I would like to, at the very least, get a look under the hood. I was under the impression that it had a 427. But now I've read somewhere that it was raced in D/Stock, and had a 352. If anyone could post additional pics, maybe from a show, it would be a great help. Theses are the only two I can find.

mel b.jpg

4f30a42b8e86ac4492a5fe886cf5f792.jpg

• Like 1

Any way you can enlarge the bird emblem on the front fender? could be a clue, but not a postive as to what it has under the hood, could be a 406. never know.. if it was running D/Stock, it most likely was not a 427. check out a rule book for the year, it could help..

Edited by Painted Black

1 hour ago, Painted Black said:

Any way you can enlarge the bird emblem on the front fender? could be a clue, but not a postive as to what it has under the hood, could be a 406. never know.. if it was running D/Stock, it most likely was not a 427. check out a rule book for the year, it could help..

Thanks. A few years ago, someone did post an engine pic, and iirc, it had a similar air induction just like the Thunderbolts, and it had a 427 gold bird emblem on the front of the carburetor or carburetors cover. 

The lettering on the front fender, under the (possibly painted on) "bird" emblem, reads "Glasswork by Fibrecraft", which would indicate some fiberglass on the car.  Hood: highly likely, possibly fenders, maybe doors.  Any of those take the car out of Stock class.  Maybe the car started out in Stock and evolved into a Super Stock or Modified Production car over time.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

The lettering on the front fender, under the (possibly painted on) "bird" emblem, reads "Glasswork by Fibrecraft", which would indicate some fiberglass on the car.  Hood: highly likely, possibly fenders, maybe doors.  Any of those take the car out of Stock class.  Maybe the car started out in Stock and evolved into a Super Stock or Modified Production car over time.

I looked on the decal I have and unfortunately the bird emblems are missing. Thanks. I couldn’t make out the Glasswork By Fibrecraft. 

Also read the heading to an article that the 352 and 3 speed was used when it was new. But was changed to a 427 with a low rise intake and a top loader 4 speed, and Halibrand wheels. But if I click  ON the article, it mentions five other cars, except the Custom 300. Go figure. 

12 minutes ago, Mark said:

If I remember right, the bird emblem decals are in the last couple of issues of the Revell Thunderbolt kit.

Thanks Mark. Yea, I have more than enough bird decals from various suppliers. I just wish they were supplied on my sheet with the Glassworks lettering, like the 1:1 car has. Modified Production fits the bill on this one. I appreciate your help. 

When dressed the same telling a 352 from a 427 is diffucult unless you know what to look for, and since I don't know off any kits with a 427 that has the cross bolts molded in. I guess it all depends on just how accurate you want. I would build it with the 352 myself just to be different!! Look forward to the finished build.

5 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

When dressed the same telling a 352 from a 427 is diffucult unless you know what to look for, and since I don't know off any kits with a 427 that has the cross bolts molded in. I guess it all depends on just how accurate you want. I would build it with the 352 myself just to be different!! Look forward to the finished build.

Thanks Robert. I’ve used the 60 Starliner engine as a 427 in many builds. I was planning the 427 all along, as I did see a pic or two in the past. That 352 heading of an article threw me off a bit. But it all makes sense now. Thanks for your help. 

Edited by Brutalform