Model Cars Magazine Forum

Primer Color

Normally grey primer seems to be the default color to use. Working with a colored plastic can offer some problems with bleed thru into any paint colors used. I'm sure you have seen references to testing with picnic spoons to test how a color will look. I would suggest using a large section of spruce from your kit and do your testing with it since the bleed thru wouldn't show up on a picnic spoon. I have fought this problem on a Corvette build that was in red plastic and I had to use a lot of primer . In this case especially I would consider using an automotive paint like Duplacolor primer.  I have seen other builders recommend using a silver mt. as a primer to block the orange plastic color from showing thru. There will be others that will offer some other ideas to try as well. 

If you're going to paint it bright red, you have no worries at all. Any orange that "bleeds through" (actually it does no such thing) would only brighten up your red. 

For bright red paint jobs, I prime with a flat white, and I'd even use yellow if I had some handy. 

23 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I like Tamiya pink primer under reds and oranges myself.

Exactly- depending on what you want your red top coat to look like, Tamiya's pink (or white) primer may give the top coat more "pop."

A test, with red sprayed over sprue, white, pink, grey and red oxide primers should show you how the undercoat affects your paint, and how many colour coats will be required to get the final shade you are after with minimal coats applied.

Edited by gman

Years ago when I was a car painter we were always told to use a primer most similar to your finish color. However like mentioned by others you definitely can use gray but I would recommend if you are not familiar with the difference you can get by changing your primer color I recommend you get some different color primers and some spoons and prime each one a different color then top coat with your red. You'll be surprised how different they turn out... , If you just want to get it done though the gray will do the job...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Right now the only ones I can get are grey and black. The Tamiya and other stuff is too expensive for me. I've got some sprue hit with the grey and will put on the red tomorrow and see how it looks. All this is rustoleum 2x paint. I think the grey will be ok, I just want a good red for a couple of corvettes I'm building for my grand sons. Hope to get them interested in the hobby, one's 12 the other 10, so they are like all kids this age, into computers and video games. I do have some black primer and will use it for the parts that are going to be top coated with black. The whole kit is in orange plastic. 

A pink primer would make the red top coat "pop".  White primer would also result in a bright red top coat.  But if price is a decoding factor . . .

Gray primer will make the red a bit duller looking.

If you are using plastic compatible red paint, like others have said, paint it over the bare orange plastic. That will give the red nice bright look.  I often skip the primer when I paint my models (with plastic compatible paints, like Testors).

On 8/29/2021 at 10:13 AM, bluestringer said:

What color primer is best for plastic molded in orange. The finish will be some type of bright red. Right now all I have is grey primer, would it work ok. 

It’s fine if you want to use it..

On 8/29/2021 at 12:53 PM, Rodent said:

I like Tamiya pink primer under reds and oranges myself.

Pink will make red and orange 🍊 pop but I can only find it on EBay..

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Get Stynylrez primers. They're available in 16 colors, including dull pink. They have excellent adhesion to styrene,  dry rock hard and don't lift off if you apply a mask.

Probably too expensive (that seems to be a deciding factor here).

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Get Stynylrez primers. They're available in 16 colors, including dull pink. They have excellent adhesion to styrene,  dry rock hard and don't lift off if you apply a mask.

I use the Stynylrez now also Joe. Get mine from Spraygunner.com.   A 4 oz bottle lasts quite a while and no thinning necessary.  

I spray it through my Aztek with the .50 mm nozzle. Lays down really nice.

It also pays to shop around, Mike. Many well known online stores gouge their customers. One lists the 4 oz. bottles for 14 bucks. If one has the spare cash, the 18 tone sets (either 2 or 4 oz.) are great deals.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:31 PM, bluestringer said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Right now the only ones I can get are grey and black. The Tamiya and other stuff is too expensive for me. I've got some sprue hit with the grey and will put on the red tomorrow and see how it looks. All this is rustoleum 2x paint. I think the grey will be ok, I just want a good red for a couple of corvettes I'm building for my grand sons. Hope to get them interested in the hobby, one's 12 the other 10, so they are like all kids this age, into computers and video games. I do have some black primer and will use it for the parts that are going to be top coated with black. The whole kit is in orange plastic. 

I hear what you're saying re cost BUT if you use a substandard product, all things being equal, you're likely to get a substandard result.

If your grandsons look at a "meh" finished product there reaction is likely to be the same - "meh".  If however, you show them an eye popping finished product, chances are good that you'll peak their interest.

Bottom line - it's often best to buy the best products because they yield the best results.

23 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I have no problem with the primer I'm using, the Rustoleum 2x grey is great. Goes on smooth and dries quick. I was just wondering what color would best to use on orange plastic. So far the grey is fine. 

Do a test of the 2x red right over the orange,it may pop more than over grey. 2x sticks to plastic.