Model Cars Magazine Forum

Primer Color

On 8/29/2021 at 1:53 PM, Rodent said:

I like Tamiya pink primer under reds and oranges myself.

I did a test of the pink primer versus white primer under Tamiya TS-49 red and it made NO difference at all. It would make a difference under Tamiya transparent red but then all you end up with is TS-49. So why bother?

8 minutes ago, ZTony8 said:

I did a test of the pink primer versus white primer under Tamiya TS-49 red and it made NO difference at all. It would make a difference under Tamiya transparent red but then all you end up with is TS-49. So why bother?

That sounds logical when using white primer, but how about when using gray primer (that seems to be the cost-preferred primer in this thread)?

Just now, peteski said:

That sounds logical when using white primer, but how about when using gray primer (that seems to be the cost-preferred primer in this thread)?

Gray CAN make a difference. I know that gray( and silver) under TS-8 just dulls the red out.

I sprayed Krylon pepper red over a piece of the plain orange sprue, sprayed another piece that I had primed with the 2x grey primer. Could not tell the difference. I went ahead and did the body with the grey primer and put on the Krylon red pepper, it looks fine to me. The only problem I'm having, and this has been with the Rust-Oleum red and the Krylon red, is it stays tacky for a long time, does not seem to want to dry completely. 

9 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I sprayed Krylon pepper red over a piece of the plain orange sprue, sprayed another piece that I had primed with the 2x grey primer. Could not tell the difference. I went ahead and did the body with the grey primer and put on the Krylon red pepper, it looks fine to me. The only problem I'm having, and this has been with the Rust-Oleum red and the Krylon red, is it stays tacky for a long time, does not seem to want to dry completely. 

How long are you letting the gray primer cure?  

1 minute ago, bluestringer said:

About a day. The primer does fine, dries quick. 

Yup.....I give it 24 hrs the spray the top coat.  So if your primer is doing good then it's the Krylon paint.  Its ether having a reaction to the Rust-Oleum paint or the Krylon just takes that long to dry.  Never used Krylon paint myself.

14 hours ago, Zippi said:

Yup.....I give it 24 hrs the spray the top coat.  So if your primer is doing good then it's the Krylon paint.  Its ether having a reaction to the Rust-Oleum paint or the Krylon just takes that long to dry.  Never used Krylon paint myself.

I have the same problem with the Rustoleum red. Other colors seem fine.