Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT40 Mk.II - Le Mans 1966 - Meng 1/24

Hi mates,
I start to build this fantastic car driven by Ken Miles and Denis Hulme at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966

spacer.png

spacer.png

A quick look inside the box:

spacer.png
by Rodolfo Masti, on Flickr

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

First steps ...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Rod the Fixer

I have bought one but not started it yet.  From other posts the general consensus is the Fujumi body is more accurate but of course those kits do not have an engine.  Others have mentioned the MENG engine looks toyish compared to other Ford engines molded over the last 50 plus years.  If you build it out of the box it is a vast improvement over the original IMC kits.  What you have done so far looks very good.  It will be interesting to see who will be the first to experiment with replacing part or all of the engine with one of the aftermarket ones.

• 3 weeks later...

This build is very well done. I was on the fence over this kit because I already have the Fujimi and Harold Bradford engine set. But your build is making me think of selling those off and getting this instead.  Don't get me wrong, the HB transkit is very nice, but I really think i just want something quick and fairly painless to get on the shelf This Meng kit seems to be decently detailed and well engineered, and your clean build technique is really taking it to the next level.

Well Rodolfo, that is a really nice build of the Ford GT40....... When it comes to weathering, I am always too scared to try any weathering experiments on a model that I am happy with. I understand how weathering could make a brilliant model even more brilliant, but I cannot take the risk of messing up all my good work !

David

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of weathering. I prefer a used look..to sometimes a downright abused look..it all depends..do you want a museum look..or a raced and put away dirty look.  This weekend at the Greenwich concourse I saw a perfect Mercedes gullwing...and next to it an unrestored one with chipped and cracked paint, beat up interior..it was a racecar. I liked it better..Hell I would drive that one while being terrified to drive the museum one. Up to you. Military models always look better with lots of weathering, cars and bikes too.