Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa

Casey

Decals and instructions are the last things done, and given that the Targa isn't supposed to released until right around Christmas, no they weren't done yet.  Revell didn't even have a proper set of test shots to send Ed to take to Vegas for anything coming this fall from them.

Side note, I see it's got a RHD dash option again.  That'll make the UK guys happy I presume.  Still that's gotta be a rare duck, there don't seem to be very many of them that were made factory RHD.  Searching for ones online turned up a 1 of 6 U.K. Targa for sale...so what...a few hundred were made that way?

On 8/31/2021 at 2:43 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Side note, I see it's got a RHD dash option again.  That'll make the UK guys happy I presume.  Still that's gotta be a rare duck, there don't seem to be very many of them that were made factory RHD.  Searching for ones online turned up a 1 of 6 U.K. Targa for sale...so what...a few hundred were made that way?

These are not as rare as you may think.  Every single Porsche sold in here is RHD, and they sell 70-100 cars per month.

2 hours ago, fumi said:

These are not as rare as you may think.  Every single Porsche sold in here is RHD, and they sell 70-100 cars per month.

The current cars I noticed there are a rather large amount of RHD drive cars available, but the supply dwindles to a trickle once you get back into the 80s.  Perhaps that's more a reflection of how few still exist, or are being kept as vintage pieces now rather than the actual supply.  Although that one Targa I did find claimed it was 1 of 6 Targas imported to the U.K. that year at all (not just that specific color combination, or options).

On 9/3/2021 at 1:04 AM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I'm actually pretty excited about this one. It may not be a perfect match, but I think I can make it work for replicating the Targa from "The Gumball Rally" with a tweak or two.

untitled.3606.jpg

I think it would be a lot less work to get a Fujimi early 911 (enthusiast model) and turn that into this targa, than get a 911 G-series from Revell and convert that to an early 911.

Even if not available at this moment, Fujimi releases them every few years.

Boxart Porsche 911 S Coupé '69 08007 Fujimi

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I think it would be a lot less work to get a Fujimi early 911 (enthusiast model) and turn that into this targa, than get a 911 G-series from Revell and convert that to an early 911.

Even if not available at this moment, Fujimi releases them every few years.

Thanks for the info, I had considered that possibility, but price and availability at the moment make that particular kit out of the question with the cheapest one being $80 for me. I'm not really worried about 100% accuracy, so the Revell kit with a few tweaks and touches will be plenty close enough for what I have in mind. If Fujimi happens to re-release that kit and I can I can obtain it for around 30-40 dollars American in the next year or so, I would probably be inclined to go that route, so I will definitely keep an eye out.

8 minutes ago, drodg said:

I wish someone would do a correct 993 (911) last generation kit.  I know Tamiya makes a GT2 but I would like a good 993 kit of a true street car as  a coupe. 

Revell had a 1996 911 Turbo coupe, but it doesn't seem to have been reissued since new.   Their 993 cabrio has been reissued. 

144956-10911-pristine.jpg

9 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Revell had a 1996 911 Turbo coupe, but it doesn't seem to have been reissued since new.   Their 993 cabrio has been reissued. 

144956-10911-pristine.jpg

I don't think that was a Revell kit, it was an Italeri, and its been reissued recently

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, gasman said:

I don't think that was a Revell kit, it was an Italeri, and its been reissued recently

spacer.png

Not sure..may have been a rebox, I don't have it and Scalemates doesn't have any info on it's origin under Revell....edit: they do have the origin under Italeri, though...was last reissued in 2013.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-3682-porsche-911-turbo--228006

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Not sure..may have been a rebox, I don't have it and Scalemates doesn't have any info on it's origin under Revell....edit: they do have the origin under Italeri, though...was last reissued in 2013.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-3682-porsche-911-turbo--228006

I built the Italeri kit last year and I think those kits were the later Revell kits.  It was an okay kit.  I used wheels off of the Burago 1/24 metal kit and it turned out okay looking.  I have a narrow body 96 993 and was trying to duplicate it.   Thanks everyone 

Too bad the 993 Italieri kit didn't look like the car on the box and was more accurate. So many things wrong with the kit, including the chassis and suspension. If the Monogram Lotus Esprit gets my vote for being the worst-fitting kit ever to build, this gets my vote for being the least accurate. Lol.

Edited by BVC500

On 9/10/2021 at 3:26 PM, BVC500 said:

Too bad the 993 Italieri kit didn't look like the car on the box and was more accurate. So many things wrong with the kit, including the chassis and suspension. If the Monogram Lotus Esprit gets my vote for being the worst-fitting kit ever to build, this gets my vote for being the least accurate. Lol.

It was a tough build.  The wheels are incorrect and your right that if it looked like the picture on the box it would be a great kit.  I think I actually used the headlights off a Burago metal kit too.  I think the Italeri headlights were pretty bad too.  It was one of those kits I wanted to put away so many times but had too much time and money in it.   

• 6 months later...

Was just looking over mine yesterday. Very nice kit on par with the Fujimi Enthusiast kits. Looks like it will build up a bit easier though.

One problem with mine. The front and rear wheels and tires are slightly different sizes, not only in width but rim size also. Mine came with 3 front tires and 1 rear. 

Shouldn't be a problem for me as I wasn't planning to use the stock tires anyway. No side detail and pretty narrow. 

But it would be a problem for someone building it strait from the box.  

The tires are marked "F" and "R" in the webbing to be removed from the center. 

Edited by Can-Con