Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Toyota Supra

Tiger89

This MPC kit dates from 1983.  It was re-boxed again with both MPC and Airfix brands, but never re-released since '85.  The motorized, steerable curbside 1/24 Tamiya kit I've kept since the '80s is shown for comparison.  I warped the hood on the MPC, so had to make a replacement.  Interior, engine, and chassis detail was all good, and it went together well.  The wheels look wobbly, but they all spin.  I had to try applying the windshield decal, and it didn't fall apart!

IMG_8635.JPG

IMG_8636.JPG

IMG_8630.JPG

IMG_8637.JPG

IMG_8634.jpg

• Like 1

Great looking build. The paint looks very nice. At that point in time when these cars were new I was working for a Toyota dealer and had a couple of these for demo's. They were a very smooth and good handling road car and that DOHC 6 was a great engine. This looks a lot like what Toyota offered as a special paint option which was called "Black Package" and the finish was a Black Mt. with a lot of clear. You might consider gluing the wheels and tires in the correct position to keep them from moving around or the model from even driving off the shelf on you. 

Thanks for the complements.  David, in 1982, I was admiring a new black Supra at a Toyota dealer on the Westbank in New Orleans.  At almost $14k, I couldn't afford that, but drove home in a silver blue Celica GT liftback with a power sliding sunroof and a whopping 100 horsepower, which was my first new car.  Check out Bring a Trailer auctions to see how much the '82-'85 Supras are selling for now.

22 hours ago, Tiger89 said:

Thanks for the complements.  David, in 1982, I was admiring a new black Supra at a Toyota dealer on the Westbank in New Orleans.  At almost $14k, I couldn't afford that, but drove home in a silver blue Celica GT liftback with a power sliding sunroof and a whopping 100 horsepower, which was my first new car.  Check out Bring a Trailer auctions to see how much the '82-'85 Supras are selling for now.

The little Celica GT's were a great little car and was almost like a 4 cylinder Supra. My favorite Supra Demo was a burnt red color with the black wing over the rear window. One of the smoothest manual transmissions of the day. 

• 1 month later...

Man, that looks incredible... I used to love these things... I've always wanted one since they came out... Man, this brings back some memories... What a car at the time it was... I always love that wing over the back hatch.... Beautiful.... You've done a marvelous job on this one...Beautiful work...

Thanks a lot, Man!! 🤨 Now, I'm going to have to find me one... LOL!! Back to Ebay, I guess...

Edited by kilrathy10

• 1 year later...