Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Enamels

I just saw at my local hobby shop (in toronto, Canada) that they now are stocking Tamiya enamel paint.  (square bottles, similar is shape to Testors square bottles).  It appears that Tamiya made changes to their labels which means they can be sold in Canada now.   I picked up a couple of bottles to try, and man, these are great paints!  I brushed painted them, right out of the bottle with no thinning.  The picture below is 2 coats, and you may not tell from the picture, but there is not a single brush stroke.  You would swear this was airbrushed/sprayed painted.  They are amazing.

I normally use Tamiya acrylics for brush painting (with their retarder), but these enamels are so much better and easier for brush painting.  I'm now making the switch over.  

I quite enjoy brush painting (I find it very relaxing), so to find a paint that works so well is great!  

paint.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, espo said:

I remember reading about the new paints , but they haven't shown up here yet. Look forward to trying them when they do. 

These aren't new actually, they've been around for decades in Japan.  I think you may be referring to the new Tamiya lacquer paints, in bottles.  They are expected out soon in the US.

Just now, bluenote said:

These aren't new actually, they've been around for decades in Japan.  I think you may be referring to the new Tamiya lacquer paints, in bottles.  They are expected out soon in the US.

What I remember reading about them was that Tamiya was bring a new product line in both bottle and spray for the US, someday.   

I was lucky enough to score some from a fellow Club member and they are really nice paints. Brush on well and Air Brush even better! 

Hopefully they will get them into the U.S. somehow, but I still have not tried the Lacquer bottles yet. I need to grab a couple and try them out soon. 

11 hours ago, espo said:

I remember reading about the new paints , but they haven't shown up here yet. Look forward to trying them when they do. 

They are here, all the big online retailers I think have finally have their stock now, Tamiya hasnt released the entire line yet either. They are great paints, Ive been using them for a few years now, they air brush very nicely. 

https://www.megahobby.com/products/tamiya-lacquer-paint-lp-colors-10ml-1-3-oz-bottles.html

Edited by martinfan5