Model Cars Magazine Forum

60 Fleetwood

hedotwo

Lots of bodywork after removing all the doo-dads.  I think every add on was used in the build, and maybe stuff from other kits too.  Happy to be finished with this one as it ended with a foil struggle and ended with a mix of foil and Molotow.  I got a return email from BMF the other day explaining that because of Covid they are having trouble getting foil sourced in the "previous" thickness.  We know what that means when it comes to working with it.  The adhesive seems inconsistent as well, but short of making your own they're still the only game in town short of sending out for plating.  I thank them for the return email however, lots of companies wouldn't take the time to respond to a vent email.  Still worth the struggle I guess..... 

I'm happy with this one otherwise, but as usual there are things that deserved more time.  We've all hit the wall on builds and this is one for me.   Body is Tamiya TS-11 Maroon and TS-13 clear.  The Johan created vinyl roof, which is really good IMO, was mostly destroyed when I removed and repaired the roof louvers and fins.  I re-did the vinyl look with Testors Fabric Tan.  Too tight of a grain but it looks ok to me anyway.  The bumpers were shot with Molotow and the interior is craft acrylic Ivory and Maroon.  The exterior and interior colors aren't factory correct but I thought I'd like the Maroon/Tan combo.  Afterwards I'm thinking it's so-so.

PS...  I added a side view mirror after taking the pics 😏

Thanks

IMG-0420 (Large).JPG

IMG-0419 (Large).JPG

IMG-0425 (Large).JPG

File_000 (Medium).jpeg

Edited by hedotwo
  • Like 2

Hi Rich !

Very nice Fleetwood, I love it !.

I know what you mean with BMF. You have thin sheets, I have 2 very thick ones !. Once peeled, it leaves an orange skin effect on flat surfaces. Never had these issues before.

Anyway. Great work on that Caddy !.

Amazing especially looking at what you had to start with. This had to have been built back when you just glued on every option in the box. Great looking paint and the top turned out very nice in the pictures. Very clean looking cruiser. 

Really impressed with the transformation you achieved on this one - great job! Too bad you couldn’t “clone” the model you started with to park next to your finished maroon beauty. I must admit, I also love the innocence of the “before” one, like a fine piece of folk art, it’s so bad it’s kinda cool!

I feel your pain regarding recent metal foil, I just purchase a fresh new sheet but it’s nowhere as good (in thickness or adhesion) as the old sheet I’ve been nursing for years. Another victim of our supply chain challenges….

4 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

I feel your pain regarding recent metal foil, I just purchase a fresh new sheet but it’s nowhere as good (in thickness or adhesion) as the old sheet I’ve been nursing for years. Another victim of our supply chain challenges….

It was always important to have a sharp blade with BMF, but now even more.  Plus I found i need a fair amount more pressure on the cut and need to be sure the surface is squeaky clean so what adhesive is on the piece of BMF sticks.