Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chevy 4 door Resin Question

23 hours ago, Jim B said:

They don't seem to have a lot in stock.

Hi James, I was told to by Sam I Am that he emailed him through his faq tag & had some luck getting what he needed. I found something I really wanted from RMR and it was out of stock too, so I did the same. Within a day I got an email back and by the end of the week I had what I wanted. Ron is a great guy, give it a shot, he might have what you need too.

12 hours ago, mchook said:

Hi James, I was told to by Sam I Am that he emailed him through his faq tag & had some luck getting what he needed. I found something I really wanted from RMR and it was out of stock too, so I did the same. Within a day I got an email back and by the end of the week I had what I wanted. Ron is a great guy, give it a shot, he might have what you need too.

Exactly this. This has been my experience as well. 

RMR seem to have quality products and unique subjects and they may list the kits as out of stock because they're made to order, just an observation. 

I ordered a body from Steve Kohler at Star Models. He was very quick to email back, he does quality work I've been told... I'll keep you guys posted... thanks for the feed back and inbox messages to let me know where to find this kit.. 😊

P.S. I went ahead on and done the right thing and ordered a 56 Del-Rey 4 door while I was at it 😆 I really love the two tone paint schemes on the Del-Rey... so look for that in the near future. 

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

RMR seem to have quality products and unique subjects and they may list the kits as out of stock because they're made to order, just an observation. 

I ordered a body from Steve Kohler at Star Models. He was very quick to email back, he does quality work I've been told... I'll keep you guys posted... thanks for the feed back and inbox messages to let me know where to find this kit.. 😊

P.S. I went ahead on and done the right thing and ordered a 56 Del-Rey 4 door while I was at it 😆 I really love the two tone paint schemes on the Del-Rey... so look for that in the near future. 

Our family car in '56 was a 210 4 door post sedan in Nassau Blue and White thru the center with matching interior. Blue Flame 6 and 3 on the tree. Dad wouldn't even spring for a radio or white walls. Still it was a good looking car. 

16 hours ago, espo said:

Our family car in '56 was a 210 4 door post sedan in Nassau Blue and White thru the center with matching interior. Blue Flame 6 and 3 on the tree. Dad wouldn't even spring for a radio or white walls. Still it was a good looking car. 

Like ours? We had a little weather the day before these were taken.

glenviewblizzardjan67a.jpg.02e7cec20520bab30db83cd26230ac95.jpg

glenviewblizzardjan67c.jpg.50399a07b1567fe754626e3e71fcc0ef.jpg

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Like ours

These shots are great. I can hardly imagine 50's cars being used for what they were intended for 😆 You would never see that nowadays.  This is exactly the color scheme I mentioned earlier..  I'm excited to start working on the project even more now. Thanks for sharing! 

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Like ours? We had a little weather the day before these were taken.

glenviewblizzardjan67a.jpg.02e7cec20520bab30db83cd26230ac95.jpg

glenviewblizzardjan67c.jpg.50399a07b1567fe754626e3e71fcc0ef.jpg

That doesn't look like Yucca Valley to me. Our local at the time was in the outer burb's west of Chicago and snow fall like that was common in the winter.  But ya that looks like the exact same paint colors. I have seen many with this paint colors and I think it must of been popular at the time since many others in town had the same setup. 

On 9/3/2021 at 6:09 AM, espo said:

That doesn't look like Yucca Valley to me. Our local at the time was in the outer burb's west of Chicago and snow fall like that was common in the winter.  But ya that looks like the exact same paint colors. I have seen many with this paint colors and I think it must of been popular at the time since many others in town had the same setup. 

That's Glenview, IL where I spent part of my childhood, and the aftermath of the 1967 blizzard. Here's a shot of the 210 when our family friend Mason bought it new; no whitewalls but at least he sprung for the radio and Powerglide:

1846155046_Masonhisnew56Chevy.jpeg.48c4be47af309d7677fafa198a137f2d.jpeg

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

That's Glenview, IL where I spent part of my childhood, and the aftermath of the 1967 blizzard. Here's a shot of the 210 when our family friend Mason bought it new; no whitewalls but at least he sprung for the radio and Powerglide:

1846155046_Masonhisnew56Chevy.jpeg.48c4be47af309d7677fafa198a137f2d.jpeg

I was a Barrington Broncho in the late '50's until leaving for California in '61. Small world isn't it ? 

Wow, that is some really neat history and cool black and white photo. The military angle is a great idea. I think the 210 chrome is suitable for a 4 door... I'm really starting to fall for the 56 Chevys! Man, is that a beautiful car? just as cool as a 55 and 57. Oh, BTW... mail call!!!

2021-09-04-18-20-11-449.jpg

Edited by disconovaman

Unfortunately, for me anyway, the Star Models 1957 Chevy 4-Door Sedan is a 210, where the military ones are 150; so the chrome trim is incorrect.  I guess I could splice the rear of the '55 sedan to the front of the '57 sedan; but that is just a recipe for disaster!

On 9/7/2021 at 7:57 AM, Jim B said:

1957 Chevy 4-Door Sedan is a 210,

What is the difference between a 210 and 150 besides the 1955 spear chrome? My research shows the 210 with both the 150 (aka 1955 Spear chrome trim) and the 57 Signature quarter tail fin. So I would think you could sand off the 57 trim and glue on  Revell's 55 chrome spear separate from the kit? You may need two parts for each side to make it long enough since it's from a two door but I'm not sure about the length v/s a 4 door. That would be the simplest solution IMO. Or you could resin cast the trim based on the Revell Black Widow.

I've opened a can of worms in the past with such projects. I wish Amt or Revell would acknowledge the need for 4 door sedans in the model world but for whatever the reason they don't still remains a mystery. Lol 

On 9/7/2021 at 6:57 AM, Jim B said:

Unfortunately, for me anyway, the Star Models 1957 Chevy 4-Door Sedan is a 210, where the military ones are 150; so the chrome trim is incorrect.  I guess I could splice the rear of the '55 sedan to the front of the '57 sedan; but that is just a recipe for disaster!

Splicing Quarters panels and doors between two different kits that may even be of slightly different shapes and scales seems like a lot of work for just the moldings. Consider removing the moldings from the main kit you're using and create new moldings out of plastic stripes. The '57 Black Widow kit would be a good guide to help setup your molding design. 

Yes, removing the trim from the Black Widow kit might be the simplest solution.  The body will be destroyed, but the plan is to replace it anyway.  Might just be the way to go.  Does the Black Widow kit have the stock stuff, or is it strictly a race car?  Either way, the race car is pretty cool.

On 9/7/2021 at 7:57 AM, Jim B said:

I guess I could splice the rear of the '55 sedan to the front of the '57 sedan; but that is just a recipe for disaster!

Yeah, you could; but it wouldn't represent an actual vehicle. The rear sheet metal and bumpers of the '55 and '57 models are completely different and incompatible.

Chevrolet Bel Air/150/210 for Sale / Page #16 of 118 / Find or Sell Used  Cars, Trucks, and SUVs in USA

Beautiful Red 1957 Chevy 4 Door Sedan (1955 1956 1957 150 210 150 Belair)  for sale - Chevrolet Bel Air/150/210 One-Fifty 1957 for sale in  Jacksonville, Florida, United States

It'd be the equivalent of the Manufacters Hanover Trust AnyCar

Manufacturers Hanover Trust anycar loan | Car ads, Car, Vintage cars

Anthony is correct about the side trim on both the '55 and '57 150 and 210 models.

Beautiful Turquoise and White 1957 Chevrolet 210 4 Door Sedan (1955 1956  1957) for sale - Chevrolet Bel Air/150/210 210 1957 for sale in Copperas  Cove, Texas, United States

The spear trim for the '55-'57 Chevys was the same length for 2DR and 4 DR models. It only appears to be longer on the 4 DR models because the front doors are shorter to accommodate the rear doors.

If Anthony was talking about using the trim from the relatively recent Revellogran '55 Chevy kits (Convertible or Hardtop) won't work because the spear trim is designed to fit into the the channel found on the these particular kits which would require a lot of tedious thinning because they are too thick.

http://images33.fotki.com/v1074/photos/1/10655/5741271/DSC00003-vi.jpg

Additionally, the spear trim from these kits has the paint divider molded on.

The best sources for the spear molding are any of the old Revell "H" series '55 and '56 Chevys. The side moldings are very thin and detailed. If you can score one of the "H" series '56 Chevy kits, even better because they contain separate side trim for series 150, 210 and Bel Air models.

1625003004_revell56chevy.jpg.be7d7f98c222d8846c7e143420862af2.jpg

I have these kits and the trim fits the newer '57 Chevys.

After all of my rambling on the subject, I believe you'd save a lot of work by converting the Revell '57 Chevy 150/Black Widow into a 4 DR sedan. :)

3 hours ago, Jim B said:

Yes, removing the trim from the Black Widow kit might be the simplest solution.  The body will be destroyed, but the plan is to replace it anyway.  Might just be the way to go.  Does the Black Widow kit have the stock stuff, or is it strictly a race car?  Either way, the race car is pretty cool.

Why remove the trim? The military Chevys are 150's, as is the Black Widow. Both use the same spear trim. The Black Widow kit can be built as a bone stock version.

Because I'd still need to get the rear door on there some how.  And to make it completely correct, I need an I-6 as well.  I can probably source the rear seat from the 1957 Ford Custom 300.

Rock Island Auction sold this car for $46,000 in 2019.