Model Cars Magazine Forum

semi truck pulling

HeyBuba, I don't know about the pullers in your link, but the truck pull at Notre Dame du Nord has a no motor mod rule. The only real mod is a plate to protect the fuel tanks. if you google Noter Dame du nord you should find the link to Rodeo du Camion. Good luck. Bubba

Buba,

All those pulling trucks look like they're simple, short wheelbase 10 wheelers with daycabs, and a weight box over the drive axles. The placement of things like stacks, rear fenders, and what motor/turbo combo seems to be up to the owners.

I say tear into a kit, build it how you like, and have fun with it. Those guys are.

Jameston

What's goin' on...

Back in diesel tech (Northwestern AKA NBC) my Diesel Fuel and Injection instructor had a 1968 R model Mack all he did to that was modify the pump. And let me tell you what that truck had the torque to rip a coupler plate right off the front of a trailer. All I'd say to do is put some contingencey decals on it. Maybe a nickname on the door.

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic

Buba, I have a couple albums that contain some photos taken at Buck Motorsports Park. Links are below, here are a few pics to whet your appetite:

P8169545-vi.jpg

Cummins KT in a cabover Brockway.

P6171768-vi.jpg

Hard to get good night-time action with my camera. I believe this is Tom Lindsay's KW also with Cummins KT power.

P6171717-vi.jpg

This Marmon had a Cummins V903 for power.

I'm certainly no expert, but i have picked up a few things. Engines of choice for the pro pullers are Cummins KTs (only available in resin), Detroit V12s (Bandag Bandit), Cat 3408s and Mack V8s. You will occasionally find a Cummins NTC or V903 (First release ERTL International Transtar conventional) or a Cat 3406. The pros run two or more turbos, water injection and ungodly fuel pressures.

Links:

Trucker's Day 2008 An all day truck show, pulling photos are on the last page.

Pulling Event 6/17/06

You can find the Detroit Diesel 12V71 in resin also:

http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/?page_id=...;product_id=208

As well as the Cummins V903:

http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/?page_id=...;product_id=229

(I have this one, it's nice; though I wish it was a VT903)

And the Cat 3406:

http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/?page_id=...;product_id=200

(The Cat 3406 also comes in the Revel USA Snap Peterbilt 359, and is fairly well detailed.)

I believe a Cat 3408 comes in the Revell of Germany Kenworth Australia.