Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 410 SA Ghia 1956 by Fernando Pinto Portugal

89AKurt

Brand new resin kit of the unusual Ferrari 410 Superamerica Ghia.  I've kept my eye on his Facebook page, after several years he posted that this was about ready, so I PMed him to say I was interested.  I said that I look for his eBay listings, he said don't do that, he gave me the price and made the sale that way.  Ordered August 4, seems like the usual across the ocean service.

Nice cardboard box with his artwork top and one end.
IMG_2446.thumb.jpg.ce3dc3f45ab95badd7afdbbaa16fbf7c.jpg

Well packed in bubblewrap.
IMG_2447.thumb.jpg.3606ca60059966badca07b9376605770.jpg

It's a curbside, but I have plans.
IMG_2448.thumb.jpg.286ebbbfb676eaaca5a93b658d3b1872.jpg
IMG_2449.thumb.jpg.31b81d5a5e98e88cedbabe5cfd71269b.jpg

You can tell it's handmade, not too thick a body.
IMG_2450.thumb.jpg.3a56fca9a093823767ecf31a40e76018.jpg

His famous real wire wheels, rims are painted, and the resin tires have an authentic looking tread.  Nice decals.  The grill is resin; I asked if he considered doing that with photo-etch, he said this is laser cut.  The photo-etch is top notch.
IMG_2451.thumb.jpg.997003ebb75ee0a66a1523615fbf5504.jpg

I've had this book a long time, so have a great start for reference.
IMG_2452.thumb.jpg.e8a59cc6141f077675d1e77e3434dc2f.jpg

This is my plan (of mice and men), restorod!  The Revell 2005 575M Maranello based Superamerica is a little shorter in wheelbase, but the width is about the same.  Only a nut like me would think of making an already challenging resin kit more so by kitbashing. 🤔  I'm also considering painting turquoise, just to avoid RED.
IMG_2453.thumb.jpg.3cd2fde38b7f0a99ac3bfa8e512111e2.jpg

But who knows, I have so many other future projects where I thought the same thing.  I've learned to get what I want, NOW, such as the Fisher Alfa Romeo BAT5.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I recently acquired his kit of Malcolm Campbell's Bluebird LSR car, and I'm looking forward to putting that together.   The Ferrari looks promising, and the style owes a lot to the Gilda concept.

That would be a nice addition to a collection.
I had to look up what the 1955 Ghia Gilda was, turbine powered!   I closer rendition is the 1956 Chrysler Dart (Ghia), also designed by Ghia, IMHO is a better design.

2 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I keep telling myself no more kits as well except for really special items.  I have 3 of Fernando's offerings pending and think I'm passing on this one.

[...]

Those should keep you busy!   The Berton is a nice looking car, but doesn't tempt me enough to buy it.

• 3 months later...

Nobody get excited, not starting this yet!  Was looking at this 612 Scaglietti kit because I wasn't liking where the other one was going.  The wheelbase and width is closer.  I'm thinking the interior door panels, dash and seats will mesh with the newer car, but might need to create a new tunnel.  I drew out the plan view to review later, something this drastic needs multiple evaluations before destroying two perfectly good kits.

339929958_eIMG_2533.thumb.jpg.35271895a3528ed1d75e1931f83f2c78.jpg

816117371_eIMG_2537.thumb.jpg.7d9e57e24d4d4e8b336bb58336f0fc78.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 10:50 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Just a thought, but maybe something of a similar vintage to the Ghia kit for chassis bits?

That would be the proper thing to do.  If I wanted to do an exact replica of the only car I have seen in pictures, which is of course red.  I have a 250 SWB kit that is missing the chrome tree, and a couple of other parts, that would be closer, but would still be incorrect.  I prefer committing sacrilege, worthy of making Ferrari experts ticked off.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:55 PM, cobraman said:

I'm watching this very kit on the bay right now. Deciding to pull the trigger or not.

When I saw his announcement on Fakebook, I asked if he had it on eBay, he said to just order directly from him.  If you can't make out his email on the box end, on the eighth picture of my original post, let me know.

On 12/24/2021 at 4:18 PM, keyser said:

Bertone 250 SWB Fernando does is killer too. Less, umm, over the top. 
Any Ferrari pre-89 ftw though. 

The reason I love this car, so American.  😁  It's much like the McLaren, I love the machine and it's capabilities, but the styling is complex, and don't care to build the model.

I love the styling of the over the top stuff as you know. The purer, subtle stuff was lost then, as much as it is now with influencers 🤦🏻‍♂️
Now they just put ugly paint and interiors in stuff and call it good. Back then they’d stop when you ran out of money. Lol. But, they did have taste police so that helped. 
Keep it coming Kurt, happy holidays. 
I might know a guy that can help with details. Lol. 
L

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

When I saw his announcement on Fakebook, I asked if he had it on eBay, he said to just order directly from him.  If you can't make out his email on the box end, on the eighth picture of my original post, let me know.

The reason I love this car, so American.  😁  It's much like the McLaren, I love the machine and it's capabilities, but the styling is complex, and don't care to build the model.

He actually has some of his kits on ebay now. I just ordered the Ghia kit. 186.00 with the shipping and not a Cobra. But I really like that car and those wheels look terrific!

• Like 1