Model Cars Magazine Forum

Switching from airbrush to Tamiya rattlecans (mostly)

I have decanted Tamiya spray and shot it through the Air Brush with great results as well. This is a necessity with old cans that have bad nozzles, or if there is not much left in the can and you need that color. Using the airbrush will stretch out the paint pretty good. 

And I shoot it straight from the can as is, some will thin it out a bit more to suit taste, but out of the can as is works just fine. 

But, let it gas out a bit after decanting and don't decant too much at a time. 

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I have decanted Tamiya spray and shot it through the Air Brush with great results as well. This is a necessity with old cans that have bad nozzles, or if there is not much left in the can and you need that color. Using the airbrush will stretch out the paint pretty good. 

And I shoot it straight from the can as is, some will thin it out a bit more to suit taste, but out of the can as is works just fine. 

But, let it gas out a bit after decanting and don't decant too much at a time. 

Jessie, next time you see Darryl, ask him about painting the laundry room Tamiya green.  He decanted the paint into a regular paint jar and capped it and set it aside.  Next morning he gave it a good shake to mix it up well, opened the lid and instantly painted himself and the laundry green!

Edited by Pete J.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Jessie, next time you see Darryl, ask him about painting the laundry room Tamiya green.  He decanted the paint into a regular paint jar and capped it and set it aside.  Next morning he gave it a good shake to mix it up well, opened the lid and instantly painted himself and the laundry green!

Oh yeah, it also happened to Skip! He decided to decant a whole can and it had some very colorful results! Luckily he did it outside and managed to keep it to one spot, a rather large spot! LOL! 

It is amazing how long that paint stays gassed up. 

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2021 at 6:47 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

As far as I know, the only place to purchase MCW paints is directly from them via their website.

Personally, I’ve only used their lacquers.

I wasn’t even aware of any ready to airbrush enamel, although I do know that they have recently begun selling brushable enamels in small jars.

Steve

Several years ago Tru-Match colors for stock cars were supposedly pre thinned enamels. I say "supposedly" because I have some of that paint and when I try to use it it's way too thick as it comes in the bottle.

I've said before that Tamiya spray cans make me look like a better painter than I really am. Mostly use them and Testors Model Master and regular Testors for paint jobs I don't need to be perfect. Used an air brush many years ago and can see the advantage when you need to "fog" an area or just paint a very small area but I get by without it these days.

13 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Oh yeah, it also happened to Skip! He decided to decant a whole can and it had some very colorful results! Luckily he did it outside and managed to keep it to one spot, a rather large spot! LOL! 

It is amazing how long that paint stays gassed up. 

I wasn't aware of Skips episode.   Even today, I am very careful to let the darned stuff off gas.  I use a different procedure than most. After a controlled release of the pressure in the can(punch a hole near the top seam)  I put the can in my food dehydrator overnight.  The higher temperature not only gets all the propellent out of the paint but also prevents any moisture from getting in the can.  

• 2 months later...