Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor

Duplicolor is an acrylic lacquer, it should be applied over a lacquer primer.  Applying over enamel will cause trouble. 

Even applying a "hot" lacquer over another lacquer could cause problems.  With all of that, and two different brands in the mix as well...test, test, and test again before trying the combination on anything of value.  

• Like 1

I have never used the Duplicolor paint but I use the Rust-Oleum 2X gray primer.  I've sprayed acrylic's, enamels, and lacquers over it without a problem.  Like mentioned about, do a spoon test to make sure.  That's what I did.   

On 9/2/2021 at 1:14 PM, mr moto said:

Duplicolor primer is so good that there's no reason to try the paint over something else. I use their primer under everything.

Bingo!  Check Ollie’s hardware dept when you go hunting for models.  They often have Duplicolor, both primers and colors for $2.99 a can.

7439DADF-05AB-4563-9A98-BC38706BE3D8.jpeg.05dab40199cae27588f177f7361d890e.jpeg

This is Duplicolor Cherry Red over Duplicolor red primer. No polish or clear coat. Once you master using it you’ll never use Krylon again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Bingo!  Check Ollie’s hardware dept when you go hunting for models.  They often have Duplicolor, both primers and colors for $2.99 a can.

7439DADF-05AB-4563-9A98-BC38706BE3D8.jpeg.05dab40199cae27588f177f7361d890e.jpeg

This is Duplicolor Cherry Red over Duplicolor red primer. No polish or clear coat. Once you master using it you’ll never use Krylon again.

I was in our local Ollie's just this past Wednesday looking for models, they had 0. Didn't even think to look at their paint. Thanks, I'll check them out next time. That red does look good. 

• Like 2

The Ollie's stores around here haven't had Duplicolor in the last year or so, other than the oddball stuff like peel-off "temporary paint" and the like.  They did have two-part body filler (not the two-part glazing putty, but the filler).  I bought a 19 ounce can for $1.99.  The stuff hasn't settled, nor has the catalyst tube, so it must be pretty recent manufacture.  

They haven't had it recently, but sometimes they have wet/dry sandpaper.  3M, made in Canada or USA, the good stuff, not no-name junk that falls apart when dipped in water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

I was in our local Ollie's just this past Wednesday looking for models, they had 0. Didn't even think to look at their paint. Thanks, I'll check them out next time. That red does look good. 

There is a learning curve with Duplicolor colors.. a bit like painting with a fire hose. Bit when you think you put on too much. It shrinks down and settles nicely!

I suggest that until you really know what will work with other paints, think of it as a system. If you want to use Duplicolor paint, use Duplicolor primer, Tamyia Paint, Tamyia Primer, etc. 

I really love the Duplicolor paints and use them all the time, as a system. I get great results and never fight with it. 

I do like the Rustoleum 2X paint/primer, however it takes forever to dry. Wait at least 2 weeks before sand and buff. Duplicolor I can sand/buff later the same day. 

37 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

I strictly use Duplicolor primer/filler. Krylon sucks, as does Rustoleum. Either are asking for trouble, especially under Duplicolor paints. They are far too hot for either of those primers. If you've done it, you were lucky.

I've never used duplicolor. I've been using Rustoleum 2x primer and paints and have not had any problems with them except with the 2x red, which seems to stay tacky too long. The 2x primer is great. This is my first time using Krylon, put it on top of the 2x primer, it worked fine and looks great. 

11 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I strictly use Duplicolor primer/filler. Krylon sucks, as does Rustoleum. Either are asking for trouble, especially under Duplicolor paints. They are far too hot for either of those primers. If you've done it, you were lucky.

Duplicolor is too hot for Rustoleum and Krylon but it doesn’t suck. I hate you had a bad experience but sometimes paint problems can be a mystery even with Dupllcolor.

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Duplicolor is too hot for Rustoleum and Krylon but it doesn’t suck. I hate you had a bad experience but sometimes paint problems can be a mystery even with Dupllcolor.

Never had any luck with rustoleum or krypton. You can spray both over Duplicolor,  but not vice versa. I've never had a problem with Duplicolor primer or color.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Classicgas said:

I've had nothing but trouble with both.  Use what you want. You asked for advice,  mine is use Duplicolor,  avoid the other 2. You can use any paint over it. I've been in the finishing industry for 36 years,  I know a little about it.

And I appreciate your advice. I'm just saying I've had no problems with the Rustoleum priimer and paints. I just wanted to know if I could use the Duplicolor over the Rustoleum primer because I couldn't find a red I liked in the Rustoleum, now I know it's not a good idea. I plan on trying the Duplicolor, both the primer and paint as soon as I can get some. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluestringer said:

And I appreciate your advice. I'm just saying I've had no problems with the Rustoleum priimer and paints. I just wanted to know if I could use the Duplicolor over the Rustoleum primer because I couldn't find a red I liked in the Rustoleum, now I know it's not a good idea. I plan on trying the Duplicolor, both the primer and paint as soon as I can get some. 

I've had Duplicolor craze my plastic before.. be sure you don't put it on too heavy.  That's why I stopped using it and went to Mr Hobby primers.  But I've just tried Rustoleum for the first time on my current build and it has gone on great so far.. primer and paint.  We'll see how the clear goes down next.

I just went to the Auto parts store to buy more Duplicolor primer and they had 3 different primers. I've never seen this one before.51QB4HcyzoL._AC_SL1000_.jpg.d38af0b35fc2edd2cc3f016bace6628d.jpg

And I bought a can of Chrome. Don't waste your money. It looks like regular silver spray paint. Not like what you get out of the Molotow pens. 

mfrdup_cs101_030210.jpg

Edited by ewetwo

7 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I've had Duplicolor craze my plastic before.. be sure you don't put it on too heavy.  

Yes, I put on a couple  of mist coats, then apply a medium coat then my wet coats.

2 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I just went to the Auto parts store to buy more Duplicolor primer and they had 3 different primers. I've never seen this one before.51QB4HcyzoL._AC_SL1000_.jpg.d38af0b35fc2edd2cc3f016bace6628d.jpg

And I bought a can of Chrome. Don't waste your money. It looks like regular silver spray paint. Not like what you get out of the Molotow pens. 

mfrdup_cs101_030210.jpg

None of the so called Chrome  spray cans are Chrome.  Just shiny silver