Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford C800 Gar-Wood Load Packer. It's Happening!

chuckyr

On 9/2/2021 at 6:30 PM, Mr mopar said:

I would have liked to have seen a newer cab 

Yes, the Ford tilt cab has been around for a long time, both in real life and  in kit form, but we are one step closer to a  future GMC tilt cab. A heavy duty tilt cab is the most logical choice for any inner city trash truck.

Edited by leafsprings

I’m getting more and more excited as I look up info on this kit and videos of old Garwood Load-Packers still in service today.

As I’ve looked up more info on the AMT Ford C-Series, I see that though Round 2 may label this as a C600 or C900, (Not sure what they’ll do yet) Chuck is correct to label the post as a C800, as that’s the emblem on the cab.

It seems though, that people have said that the 534 V8 was only available on the C900, but the kit’s rear axle is modeled from a C600. So, I suppose, if the builder was to make modifications, the kit could be made into just about any of the C-Series trucks.

Either way, I’m looking forward to it. And yeah, I know it’s a garbage truck, but it’s cool. 

I, too, am looking forward to this kit.  It looks interesting.

Another note of this C-series kit with an identity crisis: the bucket seats were only available in the C9000, all others had brown bench seats except the C900 which had a black one.  Round2 could alleviate some of this issue by removing the molded in logo on the cab & providing C600, C800, & C900 decals on the decal sheet.  It's just a thought.  I don't think we'll see a bench seat, though. 😁

If they went to the trouble of making the garbage unit, why not take the time and add a little extra to the cab details, Like emblem changes, marker light  and non marker lights on the emblems, vents  where they should be, Nice trick take the fire truck wheels and throw them in the kit. It looks like too much room between cab and body.

Watched the video and lots of details and working parts, 

greg

20 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

If they went to the trouble of making the garbage unit, why not take the time and add a little extra to the cab details, Like emblem changes, marker light  and non marker lights on the emblems, vents  where they should be, Nice trick take the fire truck wheels and throw them in the kit. It looks like too much room between cab and body.

greg

I agree the C series truck shows it's age, but don't think they have anything else in their tooling bank which is suitable to put the Gar Wood body on, so maybe voice your concerns directly to the people of Round2, could be they're receptive to them, and who knows when the budget allows some of them might be addressed.

Cheers

Luc

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

I agree the C series truck shows it's age, but don't think they have anything else in their tooling bank which is suitable to put the Gar Wood body on

I think this is key, and considering is was designed to pair with the Ford C-series cab/frame all those years ago, it makes too much sense not to pair it with the C-series cab now.

Maybe the Ford Loiusville frame is similar in width, or perhaps Round2 designed the new refuse body to work with trucks which have a wider frame, too. I guess we'll know more when things are further along.

21 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

greg

Because one is a piece of new tooling for an old cab/chassis they already have, the other requires a bunch of modifications to a nearly 50 yr old kit. Which as simple as it sounds, isn't nearly that simple in reality and might border on retooling the whole cab and that sends the financial viability right out the window.

21 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

greg

I believe one of the trucks that was referenced is this one known as "Old Purple" and you can see the Garwood body has a fair amount of setback to it. 

spacer.png

There's a nice video of this truck in action on YouTube "Old Purple" Ford C-Series - GarWood LP-900 Rear Load Garbage Truck  posted by Thrash 'N' Trash Productions

-Steve 

17 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Because one is a piece of new tooling for an old cab/chassis they already have, the other requires a bunch of modifications to a nearly 50 yr old kit. Which as simple as it sounds, isn't nearly that simple in reality and might border on retooling the whole cab and that sends the financial viability right out the window.

Don't forget that the Cab portion still needs to work with all the previous issues that are still viable.  It should be fairly accurate for a '71 or '72 model based on when it was first released.  Considering the basic body style ran for 33 years, even if they changed some details to earlier or later model trucks, there always will be someone saying they picked wrong.    

-Steve

I agree, the Ford C-series is a logical pairing with the Garwood 700 series. It would have been a typical 1:1 chassis for it, during the early 70’s. Not sure how popular the gas v8’s were, the ones I’ve been able to find online are diesels, but I’m sure they existed.

The kit’s Garwood body is not like the typical larger capacity body seen in the decades since, built on a bigger truck chassis.

The Ford Louisville might be another choice, but I’m thinking I may look for a early or mid 70’s Chevy or GMC medium duty conventional to pair it with, along with a big block v8.

DAAC899C-0C7B-49AE-ABB2-77891A2E28C8.jpeg.0bd6273c37410eab7baa2f35903c8d7a.jpeg
5F325947-9D8E-42E9-9920-C41875CE0539.jpeg.9d864d4f4e00b1c9d021bae8c8566e74.jpeg

18 hours ago, SteveG said:

Considering the basic body style ran for 33 years, even if they changed some details to earlier or later model trucks, there always will be someone saying they picked wrong.    

-Steve

We can hope the aftermarket resin people kick in and offer some items to back or forward date the C cab. Example would be door emblems for '57-'67, and wider front fenders for '74-90. Maybe some "Super Duty" emblems '60-'69 too! Rooke Resins?  I believe there is a photo etch already available for the cab. This is a good sign we are getting new tooling of a subject that was never done before, the future may bring us more new tooling if these sell well. Tow truck body? Grain body?

Edited by leafsprings

I remember that there was a P/E set for this mad by a guy in Germany, but that was about 20 years ago.  I don't even know if he's around anymore.  I'm sure Czech Truck Model could make a really nice set or two if they were interested, but they're probably not.

I might have been a little harsh, but with a little modification other cabs could be used. Mack R and MR cab come to mind. The spread between the Ford cab and the body looks like it is for the tilt of the cab.

I built these commissioned builds years ago using Jim Etter's cabs, forks and copied out of evergreen plastic the compacters body.

img035.jpg.9e0ef3c063f78d35c9908b5e8b6a04d0.jpg

img390.jpg.13c3b197e0edf07dc047d684bebfe1cb.jpg

img933.jpg.64de8044763780db21e6915303a4ed16.jpg

greg

img934.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SteveG said:

I believe one of the trucks that was referenced is this one known as "Old Purple" and you can see the Garwood body has a fair amount of setback to it. 

spacer.png

There's a nice video of this truck in action on YouTube "Old Purple" Ford C-Series - GarWood LP-900 Rear Load Garbage Truck  posted by Thrash 'N' Trash Productions

-Steve 

I’d assume some of the setback is for clearance since the C cab is a COE. 

• Like 1