Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford C800 Gar-Wood Load Packer. It's Happening!

chuckyr

On 9/3/2021 at 5:28 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

...It looks like too much room between cab and body.

greg

On 9/4/2021 at 3:27 PM, SteveG said:

I believe one of the trucks that was referenced is this one known as "Old Purple" and you can see the Garwood body has a fair amount of setback to it. 

spacer.png

There's a nice video of this truck in action on YouTube "Old Purple" Ford C-Series - GarWood LP-900 Rear Load Garbage Truck  posted by Thrash 'N' Trash Productions

-Steve 

🤣🤣🤣

I know that a lot of people are excited to see this kit make it to the shelf but I can't help thinking why not a wrecker body? There is literally nothing in scale of a medium duty wrecker and seems like a lot of folks would go for one. This kit does nothing for me but if they had a Holmes 500 or 600 wrecker I'd probably buy 3 or 4. Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I know that a lot of people are excited to see this kit make it to the shelf but I can't help thinking why not a wrecker body? There is literally nothing in scale of a medium duty wrecker and seems like a lot of folks would go for one. This kit does nothing for me but if they had a Holmes 500 or 600 wrecker I'd probably buy 3 or 4. Just my opinion.

The 'lost kit' angle of the garbage truck is something they can use to hype sales, since the garbage truck was something announced almost 50 years ago but never produced.   A wrecker would be interesting, but that would be a new venture w/o the 'lost kit' angle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The 'lost kit' angle of the garbage truck is something they can use to hype sales, since the garbage truck was something announced almost 50 years ago but never produced.   A wrecker would be interesting, but that would be a new venture w/o the 'lost kit' angle. 

I totally get the nostalgia angle and I am sure it will be bought up. I just wonder how many versions one would build?

9 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I totally get the nostalgia angle and I am sure it will be bought up. I just wonder how many versions one would build?

One, unless some one is specifically into garbage trucks.  Same with a wrecker or other body types, I’d think. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Crazy  to see this happening. I'll buy two. One to build and one to leave in the box. Curious as to why the owner of the wood mock up was unable to reach an agreement  but it is what it is. The only other model kit I'd kill for is the link belt cable excavator.  I dont think they would ever go ahead and create it but id love to see it

Edited by brian falcone
Spelling

Well, the First "Lost Kit" version will sell loads.

Then the "Coke Version" will sell to the Coke Collectors, then it will be time for the Updated version with a newly tooled accessory or two.

(Hint. Maybe a Dumpster or Trash Cans....?)

So, I can see this totally working.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Well, the First "Lost Kit" version will sell loads.

Then the "Coke Version" will sell to the Coke Collectors, then it will be time for the Updated version with a newly tooled accessory or two.

(Hint. Maybe a Dumpster or Trash Cans....?)

So, I can see this totally working.

Maybe a Waste Management or BFI branded version.    Barone Sanitation decals would be neat also. 

4 hours ago, brian falcone said:

Crazy  to see this happening. I'll buy two. 9ne to build and one to leave in the box. Curious as to why the 9wner of the wood mock up was unable to reach an agreement  but it is what it is. The only other model kit I'd kill for is the link belt cable exvavator.  I dont think they would ever go ahead and create it but id love to see it

I, too, would go totally "nuts" for the Link-Belt cable excavator. Maybe one day?

But in the meantime, there is still a few truck kits that could be re-issued: AMT's Alaskan-Hauler Kenworth, and ERTL's Internationals F-4270, F-2575 and F-2674

But back to this discussion: I WILL buy the Garwood truck when it cames out, and so does a few of my friends.

Edited by PintoKING

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Maybe a Waste Management or BFI branded version. 

I'm guessing it will have generic "City of ________ Dept. of Sanitation" type decals. Something close enough to pass the eye test, but no official city/village/township seal nor logo.

3 hours ago, alexis said:

a newly tooled accessory or two. (Hint. Maybe a Dumpster or Trash Cans....?)

That's a great idea. I would think they'd be two old school, corrugated and galvanized metal style cans, and two separate lids would be a nice touch, too.

16 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I think the new wheels alone will move a few kits, even to those who don't have much interest in the refuse body. It won't be long before the "when is Round2 going to include the Budd wheel with ________ kit?!!" question appears.

• Like 2

I'm ready for a good set of 20" or 22" lock ring  Budds. The ALF Budds were a disappointment. The front wheel was practically flat, no off set, and the rear hand  hole design was too long and narrow, not D shaped. These will make me happy!

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_0721 (3).JPG

Edited by leafsprings

On 9/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, Daddyfink said:

This thing is so out there, and that makes it cool to me! I definitely will be buying one! 

Kenworth Hustler - GarWood LP-900 Garbage Truck | Chassis: K… | Flickr

One? You'll need to buy 2 kits to build that one!  Side note, Round 2,  is it too late to change the door side emblems to 900 once and for all?

Edited by leafsprings

On 9/11/2021 at 12:11 AM, ZTony8 said:

Seems like if  AMT went to all the effort of making all new tooling they could have made a newer model  garbage  equipment body like a Labrie or a Heil and done up a newer truck; CCC or Mack, maybe?

Granted...BUT that wouldn't have the magical nostalgic appeal of the kit that never was...OoOoOoOoooo mystical sales genie sprinkles with Retro Deluxe OooOoOooooo.

/sarcasm