Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford C800 Gar-Wood Load Packer. It's Happening!

chuckyr

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

So does this mean the kit was designed to match the box art?

images.png.1c5bda7c931e1f2441f6a492d440be16.png

Not sure that is exactly the case (kit design follows existing phantom box art), but I have to believe (re?-) using the "original" box art for the future release is part of the plan, and a naturally that means the parts inside closely match. We know the wheels will be different, at least in the first issue, so the vintage box art will need to be tweaked a bit, and I don't recall Jamie mentioning the body will specifically be marked as a GarWood unit, so no ide if the optional stripes will be included.

I'm a big fan of the Ford C series, and this will be making its way into my collection. I ended up finding some of the aforementioned videos of some of these old mules still out working, pretty neat stuff. The Ford/Caterpillar V8 out of the LN trucks is a natural swap, and maybe someone out there would have the skills to master and cast a Detroit 8.2 "Fuel Pincher" too. 

9 hours ago, Casey429 said:

I'm a big fan of the Ford C series, and this will be making its way into my collection. I ended up finding some of the aforementioned videos of some of these old mules still out working, pretty neat stuff. 

The Ford C-Series is one of the most successful industrial designs of the 20th century....it was in production with no major changes for over three decades (1957-1990), was consistently the top seller in its truck segment, and managed to maintain a premium price position vs. competition to boot.  When you zoom out of the world of model car kits, and even out of the world of the automotive industry, the C-Series was an incredible product and business proposition....  TIM 

PS - not to mention the kit's Ford Super Duty 534 V8 is a super cool model kit artifact on its own....

DSC 0206

Comparing this engine's size vs. a Ford FE 427 V8....

DSC 0203

Edited by tim boyd

12 hours ago, tim boyd said:

The Ford C-Series is one of the most successful industrial designs of the 20th century....it was in production with no major changes for over three decades (1957-1990), was consistently the top seller in its truck segment, and managed to maintain a premium price position vs. competition to boot.  When you zoom out of the world of model car kits, and even out of the world of the automotive industry, the C-Series was an incredible product and business proposition....  TIM

I completely agree Tim. I remember seeing these things everywhere in my youth, but it's a shame how they've more or less disappeared from daily life. Granted, the newest ones are the same age as me and they weren't ever meant to be more than working class yeomen so I'm sure many of them were used up and thrown away.  I'm also sure there's a lot of them still earning their keep, with even more enjoying a well deserved retirement in fields, tree rows, and garages alike.

12 hours ago, tim boyd said:

PS - not to mention the kit's Ford Super Duty 534 V8 is a super cool model kit artifact on its own....

DSC 0206

Comparing this engine's size vs. a Ford FE 427 V8....

DSC 0203

It sure would have been neat to have those in our old Ford pickups when I worked for the City of Dearborn in the mid-seventies!

On 9/17/2021 at 5:36 AM, tim boyd said:

The Ford C-Series is one of the most successful industrial designs of the 20th century....it was in production with no major changes for over three decades (1957-1990), was consistently the top seller in its truck segment, 

Agreed, and to back up this claim, some literature from the early 60's

IMG_1481.JPG

4 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Agreed, and to back up this claim, some literature from the early 60's

IMG_1481.JPG

That's a gem of an old advertisement right there.  But at the same time what was Ford going to do, come out with a brochure going - Holy COW will you look how much better this IHC Loadstar is?!?!?!? Why would you ever buy a Ford Tilt again? 🤣