Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford C800 Gar-Wood Load Packer. It's Happening!

chuckyr

On 12/11/2021 at 6:50 AM, tim boyd said:

Interesting image....note that for the first time there is apparently a decal to represent the 1/1 scale vent/screen directly behind the door handle.... 

Look closer, that is painted,not that they won't do it,but those are paint. 

ANY new working truck kit seems like a good thing to me.  B)

And Gar Wood the man was a pretty cool guy. Besides his mechanical inventions and commercial / industrial / military truck body business, he built high-end and racing boats (featuring Miller / Offy engines, among others), sponsored racing cars occasionally, and got involved with electric vehicles late in life.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 6:47 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Surprised it hasn't made it's way over here yet, but Tim Ahlborn has shared test shots samples over on Spotlight

https://board.spotlighthobbies.com/?page=1;md=read;id=340256

Looking at all the parts and details makes me think that the 40 odd year wait brought us a BETTER kit than would've been done back when AMT was in it's final bankruptcy days!

On 12/3/2021 at 8:04 AM, Casey said:

I wonder why new frame rails were created. Maybe specific mounting points for the refuse body?

They went through a lot of work to include the ejector blade assembly, which will be almost totally hidden inside the body once everything is completed. Perhaps a lift-off style roof panel is part of the plan?

Aren't the frame rails longer and possibly shaped differently here than in the other releases of this truck?

On 12/23/2021 at 4:45 PM, Oldmopars said:

Just please tell them, Don’t chrome the wheels!!!!!

I don't think anything should be chromed on this kit. This is a workhorse, not a showtruck.

Round 2 would be wise to include weathering tips on the instruction sheet and maybe grime placement on the decals!

On 12/3/2021 at 11:04 AM, Casey said:

I wonder why new frame rails were created. Maybe specific mounting points for the refuse body?

They went through a lot of work to include the ejector blade assembly, which will be almost totally hidden inside the body once everything is completed. Perhaps a lift-off style roof panel is part of the plan?

I built one of the first rolling chassis for use with new the Garwood Body using some 3D printed mockup parts that included new frame rail using a C600 delivery truck kit as the doner for the rest.   The frames were definitely different lengths and just about everything behind the cab mounted in a different location.  I didn't take any photos, as this was last year sometime before it was officially announced.  Maybe Tim can explain the specifics since he built the test shots.   

-Steve

• 1 month later...

Great to see built up test shots of this kit. I'm really looking forward to it. Since I already have the C600 stake bed, the C600 delivery and the C900 tractor I think maybe I have to do some kind of kitbashing project with parts from these kits. That 534 SD V8 sure would be fun to put in something else.

3 hours ago, 37 caddy said:

Any idea as to when this will be available? would like one as well. harvey

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS              AMT-1247             1/25 Ford C900 Refuse (Garbage) Truck w/Load Packer   $91.95     TBA

This is right from the Stevens International page. Likely going to be later this summer, depending on the shipping situation from China.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching the video. Parts look great, not so sure about the operating features. Might need a bit more engineering to make it work reliably. 

I definitely wouldn't want him to paint my car. Got Earl Scheib quality written all over it! 🤔

Actually, I understand the look he was going for, but rush painting for video would make me tense. I'd rather have the cameras off and take the time to weather it correctly. A workhorse like this would never be babied. It would have grime all underneath, including the bright blue engine. Hydraulic leaks and grease all over the equipment and constant abrasions all over the areas where garbage would scrape inside as it was being crushed.

This is a project that deserves a full, no holds barred, all-out weathering job. A truck that has already been on the job for a couple of years and looks like it!

If I'm able to get ahold of one, that's what I would be doing with it. No showroom queen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Just finished watching the video. Parts look great, not so sure about the operating features. Might need a bit more engineering to make it work reliably. 

I definitely wouldn't want him to paint my car. Got Earl Scheib quality written all over it! 🤔

<snip>

He builds (and films) multiple models a week, and as such enjoys the process as many of us did when we first got into building models. Rarely does he putty seems, clean seems etc. He just enjoys the builds. 

7 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

He builds (and films) multiple models a week, and as such enjoys the process as many of us did when we first got into building models. Rarely does he putty seems, clean seems etc. He just enjoys the builds. 

Can't argue with that. At least he gets them finished!