Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford C800 Gar-Wood Load Packer. It's Happening!

chuckyr

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Uh-oh...😬

AMT-1247 1/25 Ford C600 Gar Wood Load Packer Garbage Truck $91.95

Eh.....'member when we were wondering what would change with Round 2's new ownership?

Between this and the $50 MSRP "Surf Shark" Ecto 1A ambulance, I think I'm seeing a pattern...

image.png.41ee1e41257b897957f5a692a96a0e8c.png

4 hours ago, 1st 700 Quad said:

Speaking of announced kits that never were, at about the same time this was announced AMT also announced a 1/25th scale Ahrens-Fox Piston pumper. I'd sure love to see THAT idea get resurrected and produced.

I think about a year from now, we'll have a very good idea regarding whether or not Round2 will ever go down this road again. I don't think the MSRP is going to help matters, and even a retail price of $75.00 is going to make plenty of folks hesitate.

16 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Between this and the $50 MSRP "Surf Shark" Ecto 1A ambulance, I think I'm seeing a pattern...

Is it that clear cut? Maybe. I think the infusion of capital is a good thing, depending upon how Round2 uses it. New variants of existing kits ('59 Caddy ambulance, C-series Ford, etc.) are great for automotive model builders, but I doubt they are Round2's top money maker.

While it's up to each of us to decide what value each kit provides, I'm not sure how far upmarket Round2 can go with existing kits. The all-new '63 Chevy II Wagon and IH Transtar CO, I get. While I don't want to diminish the investment Round2 made in the AMT Ford C-series kit, as an all-new refuse body and new wheels is no minor update, a $15 MSRP jump over a completely new kit (IH CO) is definitely uncharted waters for a legacy type kit from AMT. It will be interesting to see how it sells, and if Round2 decides the investment was worthwhile.

Can't speak for the others on the thread, but I was expecting this to come in around the $75 and I would probably get it at that price. I don't want it $91.95 badly. I gladly paid $50+ for the "curbside" Tamiya Mustang GT4, so I don't think I am a total cheapskate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I think about a year from now, we'll have a very good idea regarding whether or not Round2 will ever go down this road again. I don't think the MSRP is going to help matters, and even a retail price of $75.00 is going to make plenty of folks hesitate.

I'd pay $75.00 in a heartbeat for a 1/25th Ahrens-Fox.

16 hours ago, keyser said:

We want new tools now!

We won’t pay that! Even 40% off. 
Ok. 
Choice is new tools or cheap kits. 
One run and done. Buh-bye

Nothing to do with not being willing to pay it, I just don't have pockets that deep. If I had that kind of disposable income I wouldn't think twice. Why does everyone assume it's because a person is too cheap?

Well, keeping in mind that it’s a garbage truck, it’s kind of a niche subject matter to begin with. Slap an MSRP of 90 bucks on it (over twice  as expensive as a legacy semi kit) and  only people reeeaally interested in garbage trucks will be taking these kits home. 

Of course I’d like to see it less expensive, and I’m a bit surprised it’s that much in the first place. If anything would have had a msrp near $100, I would have thought the 4070a would have. At least that would have been less surprising. Comparing the 4070a to some of the Italeri or Revell of Germany big rigs, at $90+, it wouldn’t be too much higher. In fact, I believe the Will Do wrecker was around there, and it was a reissue (but yes, a lot more parts than a tractor). 

I suppose the new tooling for the refuse body, with all of the working features, may have pushed the price up. Still, with already having the cab and chassis, I wouldn’t have put it above $70 or so. I still plan to get a single copy, but I’ll be searching for a deal.

Edited by vincen47

On 10/7/2021 at 8:31 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

“Electrolytes, it’s what the modelers crave.” I hope the Budd wheels parts pack isn’t going to be 15 bucks more than other parts packs. 

It may be $15 bucks more considering the cost of this kit. The Budds will be worth it if they look like the correct offset wheels in 1st photo, the second photo shows the flat Budds we got with the ALF pumper.  The guys who were waiting for this refuse kit back in July of 1978, will definately purchase it.  If its a slow seller for others ( due to price ),  it will become a rare and collectable kit in the future.

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

Okay, the “I’ll wait to pay $10 at Ollie’s “ crowd has spoken!

This occurs every time R2 tries to do something cool for us. And as Tim has said before, they read the boards!

Fortunately there is a big following for C Series trucks and guys who have entire shelves of them. That’s part of why that truck was chosen. Second part is the incredible rewriting of history. You have to love that part!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Okay, the “I’ll wait to pay $10 at Ollie’s “ crowd has spoken!

This occurs every time R2 tries to do something cool for us. And as Tim has said before, they read the boards!

Fortunately there is a big following for C Series trucks and guys who have entire shelves of them. That’s part of why that truck was chosen. Second part is the incredible rewriting of history. You have to love that part!

I’m wondering how successful this project will be? I’m not sure how popular a garbage truck will be. The International CO4070 seems to be going well and has a solid fan base. If the Round 2 people are reading the boards, are they looking at a more modern big rig? Just curious. 

Ben

I'm sure round 2 has done their homework and there is a sufficient market for the kit. As far as the price they are aware of the impact of the price , and if they could it would be lower. Also $91 is the msrp and I'm sure it will be available for less than that.

Again they feel they can sell enough to make the project work. Hopefully this will be a success. If not it will definitely determine if they do any all new truck releases.

• Like 2

Just for perspective...

The Star Trek USS Enterprise that was in the most recent Round2 monthly video has an Autoworld Store price of $164.99

Border Models somehow got a hold of some of the old WingNut Wings tooling, and will be releasing the 1/32 Avro Lancaster - Andy's Hobby HQ has that available for pre-order for $599.99

Those kits will both sell out...car modeling is still the cheapest modeling there is, it's also the only one where every time a kit is announced a conga line of people show up and tell everyone what they won't be buying.  

This truck is what...75% new? The cab, interior, and one would presume engine carry over, but the entire frame - which leads me to believe at least parts of the suspension (since the driveshaft in nothing else wouldn't be the right length anymore) if not the entire suspension system, the business end of the kit, the wheels, fuel tank, etc are all new.  Nobody pays retail, it'll shelf price for around $73 depending on how much of the wholesale gets passed on by your LHS/online vendor.  Is $73 "worth it" for this kit, that's entirely a personal decision.  But for people who don't keep track the MSRP on the Moebius LoneStar/ProStar is now $80.

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1