Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two more N scale kits I just finished. Vollmer’s “Grillplatz mit Hutte. And Vollmer’s Sauna. Being from Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes, how could I pass on building this north woods style cabin? Plus, check out that cool grille. Those tables and stump chairs. And of course an outhouse. Reminds of “going up north to the lake.”

Now if your of Finnish decent, you’ve got to have a sauna “up at the lake.” Interesting kit of a sauna. I’ve never seen one with the fold up panel and huge window like this kit has. This large window, and a smaller window on the side came with no clear glazing. So I had to go to my left over parts to fix that. The instructions indicated that large window maybe is intended to be open with no glazing/glass? They suggest hanging paper beach towels, included with the kit, over the edge. I don’t understand how that opening would make an effective setup for a sauna?

By the way, the cabin kit also came with no glazing for the windows. With window type used on that building, I just used Zap’s Formula ‘500’ Canopy Glue. Making glass for those very small frames. 

Back to sauna kit. I like the little plunge/cool down tub that comes with it. Though your sauna should be close enough to the lake where you wouldn’t need it. None the less, I like. The blue water is a small paper cut out that they give you, with a thin lay of canopy glue over that. This kit also came with an outhouse. Though close, it is not exactly the same the one that came with the cabin. And the sauna also comes with staggered bench set up for inside. Though it is tough to see in the inside of the completed kit.

Ah, a Saturday night barbecue, then a sauna. Other trying to figure out how one moves their “stump” chair, closer or farther from the their tables, as it needs be. It looks pretty good time to me. Wait! Who’s that hiding in one corner of the cabin? Oh oh! It’s a good thing our Estate Wagon is power by Buick’s trusty 455.

3BEA62EF-44E6-4FB5-AC62-56E6116CAA9E.jpeg

9DCFFAC3-BE37-42C2-9A57-F5AAF159E8D3.jpeg

E0023A6F-4E3E-4583-B58D-D076F4D8B298.jpeg

F0A070FC-17AB-4F55-A9D9-103AAF4EBF9B.jpeg

63F196F8-79EA-483D-AA3A-2738FABD31FC.jpeg

C4658F33-864C-4918-9679-C643C676C818.jpeg

One last thing. I like the dear head skull over door of the cabin. I know, I should have painted it. But, on my cabin its represents a carved wooden sculpture, rather than a real dear head.

I don’t object to hunting. It’s just not something I have the patience for or interest in. My dad was into dear hunting. So I tried it as teen. Standing in cool tree stand, being quite? Not my idea of fun. Eating venison? I do like that. But, I’d rather eat steak. No political statement, one way or the other. Just the facts.

So, since I don’t hunt. My dear skull above the door is a wood sculpture.

F86D2359-3107-45CB-B849-2C4DBCD52665.jpeg