Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 49 Mercury

ModelcarJR

I've built both this kit and the AMT kit before. I bought two of these kits in the special Walmart packaging and built one years ago. Painted it with Kandy Kolors Candy Colbalt Blue. Shortly after I bought these kits Walmart got out of the model kit and paint business. Valspar really got the short end of the stick as the Kustom Kolor brand was just coming out and it was excellent paint! I don't know if it is still around but you can't buy it at Walmart! 

Anyway, the two I have already built were painted in blue so I an going to go with Testors Extreme Lacquer Root Beer. It has some metallic in it and I think will look good with the yellow flame decals on it! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

You're the first person I've ever seen who actually liked that Kustom Kolor paint.

I've never has any as I've always used the real HOK paint it was supposed to be copying but I know a lot of guys had real problems with the quality of the stuff and it ended up being discontinued because of it.

Looks like you got it to work for you though. that candy blue Merc looks great, as do the others too.

Great looking blue Merc builds. I remember some good spray can paints that WalMart had but they were a littl "hot" and you had to have a good primer to protect the plastic, but the colors were outstanding. The color you're using should show the body lines well and work with the flame decals. I used this paint on a couple of past projects and the finish looked almost like a light Meatal Flake type finish which I really liked.  

Thanks, All! I appreciate the comments! Steve, the only time I used the Kustom Kolor paint was on this one 49 Merc.  I remember it quite well actually as it was a beautiful fall day and I was painting in my garage. The temp was in the mid 70s and the humidity was around 50-60% which is low around here. The paint had a separate silver base coat that could be painted over after about 15 minutes. So I sprayed the base coat on over my Walmart primer (also Valspar) and after 15 minutes I added two coats of the Candy Cobalt Blue. That was it except for rubbing it out a bit the next day - No clear.  I must have gotten lucky asd it is one of my better paint jobs! 

Circumstances are different today as it is hot and humid. I almost don't want to paint but if I don't I'll be waiting until October/November.  So, I first painted the hood and it bubbled around the edges and is in the purple pond now.  I thought I could be a little more careful with the body and keep the paint to light coats. I pretty much did that and thought I was home free until it dried a bit and I found that the right front fender bubbled on me. I guess it was one too many passes on the fender even though I try to limit my passed to two passed per unpainted surface but the fender must have gotten three.  This Extreme Lacquer is not very forgiving maybe due to the metallic in it. its much like Rustoleum, which is very hard to use and I only use it to cover outdoor furniture that I only want to protect from rain so it doesn't rust.  Their motto should be "We cover the outdoor furniture of the earth" beccause that's all its good for. I wish they would simply shut down the Testors brand! There, I feel much better! 

I sanded out the fender with 400 grit sandpaper after it dried and gave the body a once-over as well. I'll try to repaint the front fender and give the rest of it a light coat before I add the clear. I also need to get the hood cleaned up and re-painted. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance 

Well, I rubbed it out and it was a bust. Guess I didn't use enough clear and maybe tried rubbing it out to early. In any event, it didn't come out. Into the purple pool and I broke down and bought a can of Dupli-color Dark Toreador Metallic. I'm gonna give this reddish brownish color a try as soon as I primer. Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzae5S0j7voXAQ7l3tPOJKb5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1631145518

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzgwTuaN4-E4JBQPmS8f7x14xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1631145518

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxi_3IjKw9QUi0VU6VHn8mkUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1631145523

I forgot to thank everyone for their comments on my last post so my apologies! Thanks for the comments1

I painted the body with the Dupli-Color Dark Toreador Metallic.  As I waited for about 15 minutes before adding a second coat I was a little concerned with how extraordinarily flat it looked. I added a second coat and waited the prescribed 30 minutes before adding a clear as indicated on the can and was still concerned about how flat it was.  When I added the first coat of clear it amazingly became a beautiful deep gloss!  I waited another 15 minutes and added a second coat of clear and now I'll let it dry for a day or two and rub it out. It won't take much!  Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzZQukZRLoXXCiJVoQ9NT33Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1631218181

enhance

Now that does look great! I have had some issues with those Testors "Extreme" or "One Coat" paints. They're now discontinued as I understand it. I have been using what I have left by decanting them into my airbrush and applying that way. The finer mist and ability to have control of paint flow makes these paints easier to use. I'm sorry to see them go as they had some nice colors. Carry on.... -RRR

Thanks, Carl and Roy! I appreciate your comments! 

I rubbed out the body today and everything came out pretty well. I liked the paint so well that I painted another body, AMT 64 Impala. Its not a very good kit but I have it in the closet. Since there are only two pieces to the body, it was quick while I have good weather. Suppose to rain all week starting tomorrow so the both of these should keep me busy. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance