Model Cars Magazine Forum

WC-63 now on work bench

The WC-52 is now done.  The next build is an upgrade in weight and size and is the WC-63.  At 1.5 tons and 6x6 it is 4 feet longer than the 52.  Here's where we are with the very beginning of the project.  it is the same front sheet metal as the WC-52 and same engine.  Different shape to the frame which was made of 0.040" sheet for the web and 0.020" strip stock for the flanges.  Springs are made of 1/64 x 3/32 brass soldered together at the ends.

003.JPG.e3a15309aecc4462af6f953fea0c1368.JPG

• Like 1

Hey, Paul!  Sometimes I only work half fast!😆  But like Bob said I did cast some of the parts in the WC-52 build that will be the same for the WC-63.  So there was a plan so to speak!

The plan is also to build the trailer pump for the 63 to pull.  Here it is attached to the 52 just for kicks.

004.JPG.5b3cda5e0d4455ae4210e08dbeb6c32b.JPG

It carries a 500 gpm Hale pump powered by a Chrysler 6 cylinder engine.  It also carried hose and tools for fire fighting.  Some of these old trailer pumps are still around.  They were put together by a host of different companies including Maxim, Howe, American LaFrance and others.  They were towed by either the WC-52 or the WC-63.  Here is one that I already have done for someone else.  This one will stay with my collection.

030.JPG.09fe9689b5fe8ba73f66d6a010418278.JPG031.JPG.083c686b013178d37d618711034b1e8d.JPG

9 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Here is one that I already have done for someone else.

030.JPG.09fe9689b5fe8ba73f66d6a010418278.JPG

Wow, that is amazing! Where do you get that expanded metal screen?

28 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

OK, now show me a picture of the model!😁

No kidding, I thought that was a photo of a real one at first look.

Looking forward to another fantastic build from your bench  !  Enjoy these vintage truck builds that you build .

That expanded metal screen looks similar to the type available in wire form screen from craft stores . Dave Natale suggested it for my catwalk on the snowblower,  same that comes with his cabs 

4 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

The wire screen is from KS Special Shapes.  I've had it a while and I'm not sure if it is still available.

Jeff:  The screen I used is not woven.  It is flat like punched screening would be.  Is that what you used on the snowblower?

Its a flat sheet , looks kinda similar to the grill . Heres a pic from the blower just for reference to the pattern 

20210115_173228.thumb.jpg.817fe1cbd3d07e6b50f3c8da22a845ec.jpg

Wish the other materials were still available,  these are the details that really make a build stand out. ! 

I'm with ya on that.  Good looking screen.  Mine is brass but looks quite similar.  I like using odd stuff and I'm always on the lookout for items that can be used to benefit scratch building.  Craft shops and even sewing and fabric shops are great places to get materials.  Have you seen the new package of tiny brass tubing by Trumpeter?  Next time I'm at the LHS I'm picking some up.  Four different sizes with pieces about 6" long and they telescope.

Edited by Chariots of Fire

Another source of expanded metal is frying pan spatter screens. Many just use fine woven screens like the screen on a window or screen door, but some use really fine expanded metal.

Can't go wrong with any relative of a Dodge Power Wagon. I'm sure this is going to be another great project. The trailer pump is great too.

Been working on the engine, pump and pump enclosure for the Class 1000 fire pump that the WC-63 will tow.  The trailer is nearly done.  The pump enclosure is all brass stock.  The engine is the T214 that Dodge provided in just about all of its vehicles in the WC series as well as for the fire pump.  With there being only one engine type to service it made things a bit easier.  The pump itself is a Hale centrifugal 500 gpm unit.  The fuel tank is roughed out Ren Shape.  The filler will be through a cap on the top of the enclosure cover.  It is gravity flow to the fuel pump and then up into the carb.  Engine exhaust will be up and through the hole in the end of the enclosure.  In the second photo the pump is where it will be located.  The shaft from the engine runs through the face of the enclosure and is direct drive to the pump.

100_1361.JPG.c4b7d97705cef0be7117e64825688942.JPG100_1362.JPG.2b302b0d46e2a995f99616ca778205fc.JPG

Here's the location of the pump enclosure in the trailer.

009.JPG.51b190f112a738c84ddb994eb9e23aeb.JPG

Since the last posting there has been a lot of gathering of materials to use on the WC-63.  Recently the rear springs were made up along with a portion of the parts that make up the trunnion.  Six radius rods will  need to be made as well as a connecting rod that holds the springs together on each side of the frame. 

Ever wish you had a six volt battery in your parts box but could never find it?  I made one up from strip stock and small pieces of plastic rod, glued it to a strip of plastic and plunged it into a glob of blue clay.  I sprayed the battery with mold release before doing so.  That kept the clay from sticking to the battery master.  Carefully pulling the master free so as not to distort the clay I poured the cavity full of 2 part resin and let it cure.  That's the casting in the lower center of the photo with the master on a stick beside it. 😎

011.JPG.c6046f9b384db59942e46bc6fd1a55fc.JPG

Neat work on the enclosure! Tempted to try sheet brass for a pickup truck cap I’m toying with, a similar shape. Hard to bend styrene sheet neatly over a egg crate frame I made up (Thought I was onto something clever, haha) 

I like the pump too, such neat alignment of the many curved parts, you must have an extra pair of hands, LOL!

Good tip on the quick casting! Just today I dug out an old BMW build I need to cast outer wheel halves for, might come in handy. First attempt years ago didn’t go well and I put it back in the box

The brass sheet was annealed first.  Then I used a piece of brass tubing to roll the brass sheet against.  So now the top is pretty soft but there's no reason why it can't be.  I'm going  to put some Archer rivet decals on the end piece and over the top a bit.  On the trailer the tail lights need to be finished as well.  paint the inside silver first, then fill in with two part epoxy.  Then paint with clear red.  Then put an OD decal over the whole thing to mark the oval light lens and the blackout light slit below.

You caught that, eh, Bob?  Yes the suction hoses are different.  I tried something new this time to make them up.  Rather than use castings for the ends I simply chose to use the next size larger tubing cut in short lengths.  I relocated things from the first version also.  This one has a 5 gallon can of foam concentrate and a pickup tube in the left front corner.  The lantern is also relocated.  That makes them both unique in a way.  Besides, these trailers were made by several different companies during the war and each builder kept to the general requirements of the specs but introduced their own small differences.  

• 4 weeks later...

Now back to the WC-63.  The tandem axles in the rear of this rig have a lot of action tied to them.  Torsion bars, axles, springs, trunnions etc.  These have all been made of brass stock.  Not only does it provide for some strength but the axles can move up and down as well.  There is a special fitting on the top of the front axle of the tandems where the drive shaft for the rear differential fits in.  This allows the the differentials to rotate a bit while maintaining continuous drive power to the axles.  The photos don't show this feature yet but future ones will as I added the connector tonite.

100_1440.JPG.eb6a560e925b52d12b96611b250d528f.JPG

The rear wheels are shown in position with the front hubs.  The hubs will hide the screw and washer that will hold the inner wheel portion and the tire onto the axles.  Below are the inner wheel bushings that slip onto the axles.  The odd shaped piece in the middle is the connection from one side of the trunnion to the one on the other side.  The loop allows for the driveshaft to get to the rear differential without interference.100_1441.JPG.d1cf4cfab76645b44e17b9ed7e68e85c.JPG

100_1442.JPG.9db03560aa12bb53719987331eb7a600.JPG

A look at the springs and trunnion that allows each axle to pivot.  The torque rods keep the axles from rotating.

100_1444.JPG.44f7f7f18ee3684017e240634043774a.JPG

The two rods in the middle will be cut off eventually. For now they just help to hold everything in position.  Most difficult part was making the torque rods the same length so that the axles stay parallel.  The springs only float inside the square open boxes on top of each axle.  They are done that way so they can move while the axles go up and down.  Thank goodness for the Tankograd publication that shows a closeup of all of this work.  Without it I would be lost!

I've made a kit suspension loose enough to flex a bit so the wheels sit flush on the table, but you've taken it to a whole new level! So cool to see what can be done going all the way with the factory drawings, very inspiring! Looking forward to more surprises, you keep pushing the envelope! Thanks for sharing your work