Model Cars Magazine Forum

WC-63 now on work bench

• 3 weeks later...

Great progress, love that working rear suspension! Nice detail on the wheels, saw your tip on the Spotlight Hobbies Board, about cutting off the lug nuts, then drilling a hole for a wire to center micro hex beads onto, very clever! Brasswork is too nice to paint though, and olive drab at that, at least it could be bright red, LOL!

More pix of the work in progress with quite a bit done on the engine.  A gas tank and fuel line and fuel pump were added to the chassis.  The sediment bowl is a piece of aluminum tube, plastic tube and an amber clearance light from an Ertl truck kit.  Fan belt is a strip of electrical tape.  

054.JPG.aa9032c38709bd9e4381d950f2b3df4c.JPG055.JPG.8576887f6b9ba941c8ee90343007a354.JPG056.JPG.6f85d96465f5230fb92d486d44d5526c.JPG057.JPG.bda8de5e3265e8ee52c268ff2389ca21.JPG058.JPG.ea8c9c2564c25449b6707cd441e8d9c1.JPG059.JPG.cbeeda2e65b5b2f7e2a8a45b9cbf6c59.JPG

‘The Little Engine That Could…’ RUN!  You didn’t miss a thing, with that neat little fuel bowl, love the brass plumbing and that fan is the best I’ve seen!  So great to see the photos before paint and body attached, inspiring what realism you’ve achieved! And you’re not even finished…!

Here's how the fan was made.  First drawn out on a simple CAD program to get shape and size.  Then the image was printed and taped to a piece of thin brass sheet.  Then a long cut was made along the left side of each blade to the printed circle around the center hole.   After each long cut was done a cut was made along the right side of each blade intersecting the first cut above the circle.  Then the ends of each blade were rounded off and smoothed up around the shorter cut.  When all was done each blade was given a twist with a pair of pliers.  Easy peasy, as they say.  A thin cutting disk was used in my Dremel for the cutting and finishing.  The unfinished blade that is taped to the brass sheet below is what I'm using for this build.  This photo was of the WC-52 build that is now finished.

011.JPG.8ac91fd7676f7ceea61d859c3be240e3.JPG

4 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Beautiful, beautiful work Charles! When you have to paint that brass work ☹️ what do you use for primer?

I use etching primer.  But honestly I don't think it does much for it.  So I just try and keep it from being marred or scratched during construction.  Once in a while a bit of touchup is required at the edges.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:10 AM, NOBLNG said:

Beautiful. I just love the brass work! I was wondering if you had one of these in your back yard to copy from.🤔

Hey, Greg.  Sorry to be late in responding back.  No, I don't have one in my back yard.  I use photos and detail information available from technical manuals to work with.

17 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Hey, Greg.  Sorry to be late in responding back.  No, I don't have one in my back yard.  I use photos and detail information available from technical manuals to work with.

To the other Greg: He has a shrink ray machine! and  minions

mole-men.jpg.da7094f3d2ef443e608c321dba768807.jpg

greg

13 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I somehow have missed this one!! Awesome work as usual! Don’t forget to fill the crankcase before you try to start it. Do you scale down the oil as well or just run some SAE 30 in it?

SAE 30 would be too thick.  SAE 10 would probably be about right!😆  And I use thin water in the radiator.☺️

Been struggling with this as of late.  Trying to get too precise in some things just doesn't work sometimes.  Had some issues with the location of the radiator so the front engine mount had to be cut away.  Then trying to locate the body on the frame in the right place I forgot that the outside of the body is about 6 inches longer than the inside so it will need some patches on the front to be blended in.  Then the insets for the reflectors and tie down hooks were too big and sloppy so I covered them over and skim coated them with some putty.  When it thoroughly dries, I'll sand the sides smooth and cut the insets again, this time using a bit more care.

The old adage; "haste makes waste" is right.  I need to slow down a bit and think things through!😎

I feel your pain! Final assembly can be a challenge, and it feels so bad to have to hack at finished work just to make things fit, but you certainly have the skill and patience to make it right again! (Glad it's not just me this happens to!)

Now, doing details over at this point Is kinda embarrassing, but just demonstrates your high standards, and you have my respect!

Well, here's the result of the do-over.  The holes have been plugged and are ready for new ones to be cut. and the radiator has been set where it needs to be.  Now things are beginning to gel some and look like they should.   Next up will be to fabricate the windshield from brass tubing, angle and sheet stock.

The grill guard is made of 1/64x1/16 brass strip with some brass wire for the inside pieces.  After a bout with a balking soldering iron I went out and bought a new Weller and what a difference it made.  The grill went together slick!  If it looks lopsided that is because it has a blackout light only on one side.

063.JPG.3acd4ac9de816af4102400020c884be0.JPG064.JPG.55b6c2a28d2c7eb38e6eb5843c77e267.JPG065.JPG.75e40b37c3e61a34427b9b93e395d530.JPG066.JPG.fa3bee90f9dec22a2de755e3388a6b3f.JPG067.JPG.f4a96f5e0a0ac0157cf6b08c2a91bcdc.JPG

10 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Love the brass fittings and that grille, so neatly done! Amazing you can line up the rods and keep them in place for soldering, must have had a bit of practice with that, LOL! Nice to see such progress, inspiring!

The grille was printed out to the correct size on paper and taped to the soldering surface.  Then the outside pieces were shaped by hand following the printed lines.  Then the outside finished shape was taped over the paper print.  Then the individual rods were soldered in over the other printed lines.  It made keeping things spaced right fairly easy.

Update on progress.  The indents in the body were re-cut and then backfilled and given a coat of resin.  Tie downs were then added and the rear ones were prepped for reflectors.  After repositioning the radiator and front fenders some the top pieces of the hood were shaped from thin brass sheet.  The windshield is also brass tubing, 1/16 brass angle and some 4mm strip stock.  When my shipment of small hinges comes in the hood side pieces will be made up and attached.

068.JPG.f250ae0fab1902ebb3177063fdf1aaea.JPG070.JPG.0c6ca85dc08031ca04604207b7d6ac13.JPG071.JPG.8b4a09cb241905a40e7525910d67acdb.JPG