Model Cars Magazine Forum

Other good Tamiya kits

The old Tamiya Opel Astra V-8 coupe is a nice kit, IMO.  No engine, but it has working gull-wing doors.  And Nicolas Cage on the hood, in a poster for the (awful) remake of "Gone In 60 Seconds."  So you can celebrate fast cars and bad movies with one kit!

astra.jpg

All Tamiya kits are really, really good.  All the pars fit correctly, and they are mostly accurate.  Of course many are curbside-kits, but when it is a full detail kit, nice engines are included.  Some engine features might be a but simplified, but the modeler can easily add some scratch built details. 

20 hours ago, johnfin said:

I bought this kit fir $19 at hobby town. They had a few and its a great kit, lots of detail and part. Any of you know of other kits like this. Not all tamiya are detailed.

20210904_163404.jpg

I bought this kit the other day for $18.  Got it because of the price but didn't expect it to have an engine.  Nice... I shoulda grabbed two.

Tamiya kits have wonderful parts fit. None of the fussing with filing, sanding, and shaping of the domestic based manufacturers. The thing that does bother me about Tamiya kits is what they leave out in terms of  components and in detail on some of the parts.

1 hour ago, ZTony8 said:

Tamiya kits have wonderful parts fit. None of the fussing with filing, sanding, and shaping of the domestic based manufacturers. The thing that does bother me about Tamiya kits is what they leave out in terms of  components and in detail on some of the parts.

I would add decal quality (at least in several kits I have) to that

16 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I would add decal quality (at least in several kits I have) to that

I'd agree as far as the older kits where the decals done in white turn yellowish. The newer kits, not so much, so far. Some racing car kit sheets lack some of the markings but I suspect that's due to licensing issues.

I have a few over the years - a couple of Celica - a 1990 and a 1994 - both are curbside with good chassis detail

A 1996+ Supra - this is full detail and a goody

The above a depictions of cars that I have owned or in the case of he Supra still do

The Lotus 7 is a gem but watch the rubber tires they perish with age

Have built a couple of planes too which are good too

I have a Jaguar Mk II yet to be built and these are full detail and are very good - one pops up here from time to time

In general Tamiya is most probably one of the best if not the best model maker out there. They ditched the motorized toy thing a long time ago

8 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

In general Tamiya is most probably one of the best if not the best model maker out there.

If only Bandai made cars.

Tamiya have the cleanest car kits I’ve seen. The Hakosuka Skyline has a curb side and a full detail version which come with photo etch pieces.