Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Car Muse with Doug Whyte

I saw Doug's 1953 Studebaker at the NNL Est meet. I also bought a second copy of Scale Auto with this model as the center fold, which now hangs over my workbench for inspiration. Not only is it one of the most amazing models, I would love to see a full size one. Doug's podcast is great- I look forward to many more!

3 hours ago, Paul Payne said:

I saw Doug's 1953 Studebaker at the NNL Est meet. I also bought a second copy of Scale Auto with this model as the center fold, which now hangs over my workbench for inspiration. Not only is it one of the most amazing models, I would love to see a full size one. Doug's podcast is great- I look forward to many more!

I liked that Studebaker too!  I need to find pics of that again so I can look it over again!

What is the podcast called?  I did a quick google but didn't immediately find it...

On 9/11/2021 at 12:36 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

Another great video. 

Jim, I meet Ted in Toledo in the late 90's. He was very helpful, even though he did not know me from Adam. I had no idea who he was until I seen the name on his car that I told him was awesome.  

I’ve been hunting for pics of his work, but they’re hard to find, sadly.  I guess he posted mainly on Scale Auto, back when that was a thing.  If anyone knows if he had a Fotki or a Photobucket, I’d love to know about it!

2 hours ago, espo said:

I had no idea we could sand blast our models. After seeing it done you wonder why I didn't think possible long ago. Great information watching him on YouTube.  

I've been experimenting (casually) with a kid's rock tumbler that I got at the Goodwill for a couple of bucks to do a similar thing (but with less mess).  Seems to work ok, but the motor is dying on it so I need to find another to continue my experiments...

I love that metal front axle he'd put together!  Way cool!

• 3 weeks later...

I know both Doug and Rick, in fact I just saw them both in September.  I remember at the last Toledo NNL when Doug and his son were taping the interviews for this new series.

I watched the interview with Steve Hinson with a tear in my eye.  When we saw him in Toledo, we had no idea it would be the last time.  I'd see Steve at national events like NNL and GSL, and we'd  talk NNL issues. So sad to lose him.  And this is why the work Doug is doing now is so important!

• Like 2