Model Cars Magazine Forum

Orange Crush Huskie

Starting my next build, a Brockway 761 that I saw at the Bethlehem, CT truck show a few months back.  I have the 761 cab from AITM, Autocar A64B for the chassis and misc parts from AITM.  Looking at tire options, A-car rear wheels look good and I could use the kit tires unless I have something else kicking around.  I need to source the tool boxes, but have time as I think the chassis will need to be shortened.  I may have a donor for the front wheels.  The paint will be challenging, photos don't capture the pearl, flake and depth of the real deal.

Here's the real one:  https://pbase.com/baywing/image/171720520

Edited by Warren D

33 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

Jeff the exhaust stacks look fake. Did you notice them when you saw it. 

Ya know now you mention it , they do look odd, almost capped on top  . I didn't get a close inspection of the truck, there was a big crowd lurking around it .  I did overhear it had a 270 Cummins under the hood though

15 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Ya know now you mention it , they do look odd, almost capped on top  . I didn't get a close inspection of the truck, there was a big crowd lurking around it .  I did overhear it had a 270 Cummins under the hood though

I think that those are rain caps. Some guys run them around here. It looks like the stacks are mounted to what they used to call a rattle box.

EAAC8349-6561-408C-B9A7-EB90085B2A7C.png.ce9c4de8fa71cd9ce0f47fb538a88d94.png

5 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I think that those are rain caps. Some guys run them around here. It looks like the stacks are mounted to what they used to call a rattle box.

Ahhh okay makes sense now , the rectangular tube looked unusual. 

It was certainly a gorgeous color , looking forward to Warren's build 

• 1 month later...

I finally got the color on the cab.  Took 4 tries but this is as close as I can come from memory and my photos.  Like the real one, it doesn't photograph well, the metallic pearl looks dull in the pics.  It'll be a few days before I can see it in the sun, not much sun here of late, but it should really pop.

P1030217.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Gorgeous paint !  What brand pearl orange  did you end up using , its really gonna sparkle in the sun

It's a mix of Testors Aztek line, acrylics.  Yellow, flour. yellow, red and gold pearl metallic.  Took about 4 tries and the gold flake pearl does dull the intensity of the orange.  Not an exact match but as close as I'm going to get.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

End of month update, the cab is well on it's way, tinted windows are in as well as the interior.  I got the window material from my eye doctor, those cheap dark glass they give you when they dilate your eyes.  Still need the cab details but will probably wait until the cab is on the chassis.  Chassis is well along, need a couple of little things before the cab goes on.  Bumper got painted, tomorrow it'll get it's gloss coat then it goes on the chassis.  Rear fenders still need to get fabbed and I have to figure out the straight stacks but it's getting closer.

P1030253.jpg