Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for alternative for Model Master Lacquer Gloss Coat #2017

RhythmDawg

Hi

Any suggestions for an alternative for the discontinued MM Gloss Clear Lacquer Finish #2017? Testors Glosscote Enamel, Alclad II Klear Kate, Tamiya X22? I’m looking for a clear coat to airbrush over Testor’s Enamel Gloss Metallic Lime (cut with lacquer thinner), before I do the decals/detailing.

Thanks and take care

6 hours ago, RhythmDawg said:

Well I tried the Rust-oleum and the results weren't too bad (I still prefer air-brushing), but I made a mess of the car hood when I dropped it while it was still wet 😞 Is there any way to remove/smooth the clear coat without taking off the enamel paint?

My only suggestion would be to let it dry sufficiently, week or so, than very carefully with 1000 or better grit paper, wet sand down to the enamel.

If I wanted to decant and airbrush the Rust-oleum or UPOL-1, would I need a lacquer thinner and what ratio for thinner is recommended: 2(clear):1(thinner).

I just checked and it doesn't look like the UPOL is available in Canada. Bummer.

Edited by RhythmDawg