Model Cars Magazine Forum

Someone Reacted

Brutalform

What does it mean when I check my notifications, and it states that “someone reacted” to a post? When I click on that post, there is nothing there from that persons reaction, only the previous content that I’ve already read. Is the some sort of LIKE button being used now? Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Brutalform
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's one of the reasons that the "like" or the other 2 tags are really meaningless.  You can't tell who tagged you. Much nicer if someone you can identify posts a "real" "I like it" message.  I wonder if this works the same on Facebook, or can you actually see who liked the contents you posted?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

As cantankerous as some of the members are here, we left it anonymous. Some of you would be "Why did so and so like my post, I don't even like that guy"

We may make it visible at some point. This was an experiment to see how much it would be used. I think it is used enough to justify keeping it around, so we may tweak it.

Dave has a master list of things to address with the board when he gets free time. The like button isn't high up on the list.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Bucky said:

On the Proboards forums that have a "like" button installed, you can see who "liked" your post. A lot of times, I use the "like" button to help keep up with what I have read.

That seems odd. You might "like" someone's post to create a "bookmark", even if you don't really care or like the post?   Most forums (including this one) keep really good track of what you have read and clearly show it to you.  At least that is how the forum works for me.

Edited by peteski
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Tom Geiger said:

And then we get posts complaining about having to scroll past one word posts! 😳

Or the worst...someone quotes a post w/ 5 photos to add a one word reply.   The 'like' button when used judiciously can eliminate a lot of that clutter.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

And then we get posts complaining about having to scroll past one word posts! 😳

The short one-sentence replies are perfectly fine, but (as Rob mentioned) those that quote 20 large photos, just to add "Nice" at the end were very annoying.  However I have to say that one nice feature in the new version of the Forum is that lengthy quoted posts are not fully displayed.  So there is some good in this update.

• Sad 2

On 9/10/2021 at 5:04 PM, Xingu said:

As cantankerous as some of the members are here, we left it anonymous. Some of you would be "Why did so and so like my post, I don't even like that guy"

That is a bit odd train of thought.  What would you expect to happen if there was no like button, and that guy disliked by the author of the thread would post a verbose "I like you model" reply?  Would all hell break loose?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I mentioned that very thing years ago. It's really tedious having to see the same 4,000 photos in multiple replies. Just quote the pertinent text and post a reply to it.

Re Facebook, the the total and names of people who "liked" a particular comment/reply are visible if you hover your cursor over the various emojis located in the lower left corner of said comments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

That is a bit odd train of thought.  What would you expect to happen if there was no like button, and that guy disliked by the author of the thread would post a verbose "I like you model" reply?  Would all hell break loose?

Also not present is the upvote and downvote (green up arrow, red down arrow) as seen on other forums using this software.  The down arrow would lead to much agita here, I'm afraid. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Too many oversensitive types who can't deal with somebody being honest. Act like an adult and accept both praise, along with criticism/critiques, graciously. If that isn't possible, don't post photos of your stuff and find another hobby which doesn't require insincere adulation from your peers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, peteski said:

Nice!

EDIT: it took me 3 seconds to post the above "Nice!" response. Are we really that strapped for time that we need to have single click "Likes"?

I guess we are if we feel the need to respond to every post. 🙄

This is one part of Facebook that drives me up the wall.

If I post a dozen pictures in a particular post in one of my “groups”, inevitably I will get a dozen guys that will add “likes” to each individual photo! 🙄

Uuh, is this really necessary, or is it just designed to pacify the “bean counters” who can only justify their existence by the number of likes that they get?!

I pay zero attention to “likes” on Facebook, and very little attention to them here as well, especially when you don’t know who they’re from.

In my opinion, the anonymity factor makes them completely meaningless.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/11/2021 at 8:35 AM, peteski said:

Nice!

EDIT: it took me 3 seconds to post the above "Nice!" response. Are we really that strapped for time that we need to have single click "Likes"?

👍

On 9/11/2021 at 9:26 AM, Rob Hall said:

Or the worst...someone quotes a post w/ 5 photos to add a one word reply.   The 'like' button when used judiciously can eliminate a lot of that clutter.

They could also edit and delete all superfluous content from the text their quoting from and just leave the actual sentence they're commenting on. 

Too hard? :blink:

I'm not too keen on using an anonymous "like" button when I could just say what I need to say.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Xingu locked this topic